Gransnet forums

AIBU

talking to the dogs...

(61 Posts)
inthefields Sun 12-May-13 13:46:01

(or "Paws for thoughts"!)

So, I live my myself, most of the time. I am in my fifties, still work three days a week (albeit from home) and make a lot of decisions routinely within the work role, so I would have said that I am mentally fairly robust and do not have any evidence of dementia (despite the usual memory lapses of losing glasses etc) BUT ......

..today I realised I have conversations with the dogs, and the siamese!
Now, to clarify, the conversations are very one-sided. I am not so far gone that I expect a reply, but did notice that I give the poor unassuming spaniels the benefit of a running commentary ....."shall we go in and have some lunch now then" "I think I am in need of a cup of tea" etc

Am I losing my marbles? ......does anyone else chat to the pets, or is it time to call the men in white?

glassortwo Mon 13-May-13 22:00:45

I used to talk to myself until Norman arrived now I bend his ear grin

Grannylin Mon 13-May-13 22:33:27

I say hello to my dog as I come down the stairs in the morning and he stretches and yawns and says 'hello' ..and it really sounds like it, really!grin
( just caught up with Norman glass. he looks fun )

Joan Tue 14-May-13 10:46:48

I talk to my Golden Retriever, Beth, all the time. She answers with grunts, burps, and by tilting her head from side to side. She understands a lot of words though, so I have to be careful. Words like 'going out' 'ball' 'bickie' get her all excited.

ginny Tue 14-May-13 11:57:40

I had a text this morning from my Granddogs asking if they could spend the day with me on Friday. grin

Lilygran Tue 14-May-13 19:11:09

I have had some lovely messages from the grandcats.

Grannylin Tue 14-May-13 19:48:30

I'm almost ashamed to say this , but my dog Ollie had his own FB page and is friends with quite a few other dogs blush

HUNTERF Tue 14-May-13 20:28:10

Andie understands words like walk, dinner, biscuit etc.
I think dogs do understand when people are unwell.
When my granddaughter came out of hospital Andie was pulling towards her that night as I think he thought she needed him.
I decided it was best to leave him at my daughter's house.
Andie obviously thinks he belongs to all of the family and not just me.

Frank

LizG Wed 15-May-13 08:14:36

Grannylin I talk to several dogs this way smile

Grannygreyhips Wed 15-May-13 09:11:54

I talk to my dog and cats all the time. At least they look as though they are listening, which is more than my dh does, especially first thing in the morning. He is definitely not a morning person whereas my pack of animals don't care what time i'm babbling on at!

Nelliemoser Wed 15-May-13 09:42:40

I think its a very healthy thing. I just realised the budgies were still covered up so its. "Oh! hello! Poor budgies. Mummy forgot you, Good morning!" etc etc.

I saw a TV documentary of some guy in the Arctic who was being approached by a polar bear cub.This chap was, wisely, telling the Polar bear cub "No! Go back to Mummy"! "Go on, go back to Mummy!"

It's not just older women who do this. grin