Gransnet forums

AIBU

Grandson Won't Talk To Us

(84 Posts)
Eloethan Wed 15-May-13 12:29:41

mistrel If he is generally sociable and polite with other people, I really don't understand this at all. Do you have any views as to why he behaves like this with you?

What happens when you pick him up from school? Does he say hello then? What happens if you ask him if he's had a good day at school? (or, as Jess suggested, whether he'd like an ice cream smile).

JessM Wed 15-May-13 12:10:37

I don't understand how this works. You pick him up from school and he is silent? He stays at your house and he talks to his dad but not to you? Ever?
What happens if you say "Would you like some ice-cream?"?

grannyactivist Wed 15-May-13 12:09:30

My youngest son was very reserved with other people (still is in fact). I used to get slightly irritated when people wanted him to meet their expectations instead of accepting him as he was. He was always polite, but found it very difficult to join in conversation. Good manners; saying hello and goodbye, thank you for having me etc. were non-negotiable however.

FlicketyB Wed 15-May-13 11:59:51

As Eloethan says, is he like this with everyone other than his parents? If he is 5 he must have started school, what is he like at school? Has the school raised any concerns? Could he be autistic or have other spectrum disorders that cause communication problems?

minstrel Wed 15-May-13 11:59:08

He's not at all shy and he is not like this with everyone else. His teachers say how polite he is and he always seems to speak nicely to them. I pick him up from school once a week and we see him every other weekend when he stays at our house with our son. I see my friends having loving relationships with their grandchildren, kisses and cuddles etc. and I wonder why I can't have that with my own. Its just very hurtful but perhaps I just have to learn to live with it and not stress about it too much. The sad thing is that he is moving away with his mother and her new partner very soon so we will not get to see him as much and I wonder whether I will ever have a typical grandma/grandson relationship with him.

Eloethan Wed 15-May-13 11:44:23

He's only 5 - some children are very shy at that age. Do you see him regularly and is he used to being with other people? What do his parents mean "it's just the way he is?" - the way he is with everybody? If so, although it must be very hurtful to you, hopefully it's something he'll grow out of.

It does seem that his parents could gently ask him to say hello/goodbye to grandma and grandpa, but it's probably not worth risking having an argument about it.

minstrel Wed 15-May-13 11:26:42

He has always been the same.

grannyactivist Wed 15-May-13 11:21:44

Is this a recent change in behaviour? Or has he always been this way?

minstrel Wed 15-May-13 11:19:10

We have a lovely, bright little grandson of 5 years old. Our son and his partner are now living apart and she has met and is to be married to another man next month. Our problem is that our grandson will not acknowledge us at all. He never says hello when he comes into our house or says goodbye when he leaves. I have never had a cuddle from him and have now given up trying. When myself or my husband try to talk to him he completely ignores us. As you can imagine this is very hurtful. His parents have never told him that this is wrong and instead say "its just the way he is". We both feel very rejected. Has anybody else had this experience?