Gransnet forums

AIBU

Thinking there is a slip in the time/space contiuum

(35 Posts)
inthefields Tue 21-May-13 11:26:55

How did we get to almost the start of June?

Am I being unreasonable to think something strange must be happening to the laws of physics, and time has become elastic?
The only other alternative is that my granny was correct in stating that time slides by faster "when you get old".
That is not an acceptable deduction
I am not that old yet!!
Am I?!?!?
Are any of us?

I would have backed granny in a straight fight with Einstein on any day (and especially on a Sunday) so was she right and there now just so many centenarians in the UK that they are exerting a wave effect, and the time spin is affecting everyone.

Honestly folks .... this has me worried. Weeks are sliding by at such speed that I am missing sending birthday cards because my inner workings tell me that it cannot be anywhere close to 'oojumiflips' birthday, yet!
A work trip that I had simply ages to plan, is now next week, and all that planning time has just ......sped by as though it were days.

So am I being very unreasonable? .... or is this really just what happens once you get past ...errm....."mid-life"

Aka Tue 21-May-13 22:27:51

Lucky you susie my grandchildren seem to have been born after elephant-length pregnancies, probably due to their mothers rushing round brandishing little sticks with blue lines when their periods were one hour overdue hmm

susieb755 Tue 21-May-13 22:12:52

My dgd is 2 next month - but her mum only announced the pregnancy last week , didn't she? and how is my DS 34 this year?

time just goes....

Ana Tue 21-May-13 22:07:56

smile

j08 Tue 21-May-13 21:28:11

Sorry. smile Me being over sensitive.

inthefields Tue 21-May-13 21:14:01

grin grin

Ana Tue 21-May-13 21:08:11

grin

Galen Tue 21-May-13 21:03:39

Are we onto string theory now? I don't understand it!

inthefields Tue 21-May-13 20:55:25

jo8 bless you, I am not taking it seriously (well, only in irritation with the speed at which time is zooming by).

As soon as I had posted the message I realised I hadn't put a smile next to the reply to you, and realised it could look a little serious. I hoped it would be seen in the same tone as the original post.

So - mea culpa! and I do apologise if you thought I had taken it the wrong way.

As for string length ....sadly less left on the ball than on the floor sad

j08 Tue 21-May-13 20:33:20

Although I think that what I posted was somewhere near the explanation.

j08 Tue 21-May-13 20:30:31

I haven't a clue how far along your 'piece of string' you are Inthefields. How would I know?

I did n' t realise you were taking this thread so heavily.

annodomini Tue 21-May-13 20:23:18

I guess it was more comfortable snoozing at home than on a chair in the Civic Hall! grin

Ariadne Tue 21-May-13 20:00:45

www.codehot.co.uk/sandy/lyrics/whoknows.htm

janerowena Tue 21-May-13 19:46:47

I should think they are used to members forgetting. wink

Ella46 Tue 21-May-13 19:45:52

I haven't the time to do anything else new as I'm too busy trying to remember what I've done already! shock

annodomini Tue 21-May-13 19:39:08

Time flew past so quickly today that I realised too late that I had missed the U3A monthly meeting. blush

janerowena Tue 21-May-13 19:13:47

My son has just informed me that a small part of my brain shrinks as I age, and that is what makes time seem to fly past. I think I prefer the 'needing new experiences' theory. Having dodgy hips and not being fast enough to give him a quick whack is a new experience!

absent Tue 21-May-13 19:10:01

Tegan Lost - it's 6.10 on Wednesday morning here. It's also winter which seems to mean it rains heavily at night and the sun shines during the day (about 16 C). It's chilly when the sun goes down, though. Still, it's all pretty new. More (unplanned) childcare today.

Tegan Tue 21-May-13 19:03:20

Well, you've probably gained a day by relocating to t'other side of the world wink..or have you lost a day [?]..

absent Tue 21-May-13 18:58:33

"Because we do very little in our lives as we age that is new". Well, that one is easily solved. Start doing something new. Besides, I think loads of grannies are doing new things all the time. I certainly am.

janerowena Tue 21-May-13 16:43:04

I read somewhere that it is something to do with a hormone that we all have. As we get older it decreases, (like all the other good things) and so our sense of time is speeded up. However, I have just tried to find it online and can't track it down. I also read that because we do very little in our lives as we age that is new, that also makes time go faster because we are not haing to concentrate as much. But where this past year has gone I cannot think, even though I have done quite a lot that is new.

celebgran Tue 21-May-13 15:00:25

The best of time is now! Like that song but of course don't adhere to it.
Time moves very quickly let's hope is not sign age.

Important to enjoy each day!

Nelliemoser Tue 21-May-13 14:40:31

"Gransnet" doesnt help with time slipping by!

Today it is just a month to the summer solstice burt we haven't really has any spring and a cold weekend on its way.

I think FlicktyB's reasoning has probably nailed the problem.

inthefields Tue 21-May-13 14:00:23

FlicketyB ...I can't decide if that is a very wise explanation, or just damned depressing smile

Jo8 - so, my string is running out? that really is IS depressing

The reassurances that it must be the fault of the weather are most welcome smile

Tegan Tue 21-May-13 13:07:40

...What's summer?

Tegan Tue 21-May-13 13:07:11

Supposedly what we have to do [I saw a programme about this years ago] is change what we do every year eg I stopped going to the office Christmas party because I'd just sit there feeling that I'd only just walked away from the last party [hate parties anyway]. The only way I sort of know what time of year it is is by seeing what's on sale at the supermarket. For example if there are no Easter Eggs then we've obviously gone past Easter. And if there's nothing Christmassy for sale then [in theory] it should still be summertime. The only good thing about it is that I honestly don't know how old I am; my boss asked me the other day and I didn't know.