Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to be fed up with the word "reform"

(13 Posts)
firsttimegrannie Tue 28-May-13 14:51:36

At least 'fit for purpose' isn't being used so much anymore. That one drove me mad!

Wheniwasyourage Fri 24-May-13 19:26:21

It's as annoying as when they say that bus fares are going to be "revised". They mean "raised". If they were actually going to make the fares less, they would be very quick to say so!

Butty Fri 24-May-13 11:35:49

I find the word 'transparency' over-used and disingenuous when it's applied to 'reforms'.

FlicketyB Fri 24-May-13 10:54:10

Change to meet fashionable sociological and economic theories that have been espoused by members of the currently governing political party party might be a better description

Eloethan Fri 24-May-13 00:47:21

Agree with you totally Jess.

j08 Thu 23-May-13 22:37:42

Doesn't the word mean what it says? Re-form? Perhaps we put the wrong interpretation on it.

Mishap Thu 23-May-13 22:22:17

I too agree and found this irritating for some time - it is quite the wrong word.

gangy5 Thu 23-May-13 20:24:02

Perhaps we could provide a change of words as I do agree that reform has been overplayed.
How about effectual change??

absent Thu 23-May-13 20:22:53

They all have pet words for their tinkering. Modernisation is another one.

Ana Thu 23-May-13 20:15:35

I seem to recall the last government using the same term, and its meaning the same things!

annodomini Thu 23-May-13 20:15:21

I so agree, Jess, having spent some weary hours trying to follow the CAB's online training on the benefit 'reforms'. I would love to see IDS himself trying to understand all those twists and turns and manifold exceptions! As for our poor clients... confused

absent Thu 23-May-13 20:14:55

Dismemberment might be more accurate in some cases. Governments and politicians in general have always been Humpty Dumpty about words.

JessM Thu 23-May-13 20:08:19

"Reform" has a positive ring to it, does it not? Forward looking and implying an improvement. Am I alone in being utterly sick of hearing this word from the coalition. Fed up with them telling us they are a reforming government. And fed up with the BBC using the word to describe unpopular government policies.
NHS "reforms"? Education "reforms"? Benefit "reforms" - are they really?
Seems to me that the word is acquiring a new meaning: dismantling, tinkering with or cutting back on public services with a view to saving money or promoting an ill-founded ideological view.