Gransnet forums

AIBU

to think the girls were inappropriately dressed?

(60 Posts)
nanaej Sun 09-Jun-13 23:26:07

I have been thinking about this since yesterday. I was waiting for a train at Guildford on Saturday. 3 young girls about 13/14 were on the platform. From their chatter it sounded as though they were bright and articulate youngsters ..they were talking about school, homework, holidays etc. Their accents/speech suggested they were from fairly 'middle class' families. They appeared to be lovely girls and causing no problems at all. My concern was that they were wearing shorts so short & tight they might as well have had just pants on! They had bare midriffs. They were wearing light make up.

I felt uncomfortable for them. I felt they looked like 'jail bait'.

I know women should be free to dress as they like and it should never be an excuse for men/boys to assault. I tried to remember when I was their age..hot-pants/panstick/kohl eyeliner/..did I ever look like that?

AIBU to think they were inappropriately dressed???

annodomini Fri 14-Jun-13 10:25:41

Barbaramary, of course we wear swimsuits without being accused of indecency, but we don't go shopping in them and even the most daring of teenagers don't walk down the street in their skimpy bikinis.

nanaej Fri 14-Jun-13 12:12:41

bags I totally agree that society should not control what women wear but it does! The fashion /body image industry is very powerful! The fact that all three girls were wearing very similar outfits (as we have all done in our youth!) of short denim shorts and cropped tops means they have been persuaded that that is the way they should look!
Throughout history fashion has always controlled what people with a bit of money wear.
I consider myself a feminist but that does not mean I want women to all be dressed in baggy dungarees and sweatshirts all the time. However I do want young people to be able to have informed choices about image and to know that dressing in particular ways can emphasise one aspect of themselves (e.g sexual, professional etc) and to learn when one style of dress is more appropriate and another is not! That helps to give more control to them. It's not fool proof but it can help. This is not a girls only issue and goes hand in hand with good sex and relationship education..which again is not just the responsibility of schools but families too.

Barbaramary Fri 14-Jun-13 12:36:31

point taken as I am a mum and know that there are bad people about who think that even a smile is a invite for more. If only the world was perfect. (smile)

sussexpoet Fri 14-Jun-13 13:18:31

My long-dead grandmother once told me (I was then 15) that she only wore her bloomers when intending to travel by tram - in case she had to go up the stairs!
Plus ca change................

Elegran Fri 14-Jun-13 13:38:59

Skirts were longer then, sussexpoet !

granjura Fri 14-Jun-13 16:37:34

Excellent post nanaej - and this is why some of my Muslim 6th Formers who chose to wear a scarf and cover up with discreet clothing said. They felt truly 'liberated' by it - escaping the pressures of the fashion industry and the expectations of other young women and especially young men.

Deedaa Fri 14-Jun-13 19:11:40

I suppose the point is that you can get away with all sorts of outfits if you have youth on your side. But sometimes you just see examples that make you think "No! There's something unpleasantly suggestive there." There was a talent competition years ago - I think it was on Swop Shop - and they had a girl of about 11 dancing with a snake. There was nothing overtly sexy about the dance, but my husband took one look and said "She shouldn't be doing that, it's just not appropriate". Presumably neither her parents nor the producers had seen anything wrong hmm

noodles Fri 14-Jun-13 19:39:22

Granjura. You must have seen young muslim women sporting very nattily tied head coverings and wearing lashings of makeup. That is the fashion choice they make, limited yes, but still a fashion choice. I think perhaps many of your muslim 6th formers would not be allowed to express their identity by wearing local fashions due to family pressure. This is not necessarily a good thing.

JessM Sat 15-Jun-13 17:12:05

Yes you see some gorgeous girls in the East End don't you with their colourful headscarves etc. They have presumably reached an understanding with their parents on what is ok and not ok smile
People living in villages in the tropics wear few clothes bags but that is within a small community where everyone knows each other and there are clearly defined and agreed rules of behaviour. There is obviously no absolute good or bad practice. But in our cities girls are looked at by thousands of strangers and there are relatively few universal norms of how to behave. I wonder whether, in such an environment, norms about modesty might not be a bad idea?