Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect decent television

(120 Posts)
Biker Wed 12-Jun-13 04:37:15

I am completely and utterly fed up with re-runs and repeats of shows, series that are older than some religions.
If I see one more space in the schedules given over to 'Only Fools and Horses' I swear my size 10 will go straight through the screen!

PS does anyone know if we are ever going to get the proposed second series of "The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency"? I found the original very refreshing

Tegan Sun 11-Aug-13 11:42:38

I was channel hopping late last night and came upon An Idiot Abroad and couldn't stop watching it. Wasn't sure if it was for real or a spoof but realised Ricky Gervaise was involved [which answers that question]. I was never a fan of The Office [although I loved Extras]. I'm desperate to watch the whole series of AIA now; it may be on utube. It started off with him sitting in someones living room with a hippopotamus on the sofa....

henetha Sun 11-Aug-13 10:17:38

I must be too easy to please, or something, as I think there is lots of stuff
to enjoy on television, - although I agree there are too many repeats these days. Having seen television in other countries, ours is good by comparison.

PRINTMISS Sun 11-Aug-13 08:07:20

We are enjoying Top of the Lake also, I have given up on The White Queen, though the other half records it and watches when I am not around. We record all the programmes we think are watchable, including some of the films which have 4 star rating, so that if we really want to watch something, and nothing good is being shown, we do 'catch-up' with the recordings. Doesn't make tv any better, though! Repeats are annoying, as you say.

Ana Sat 10-Aug-13 21:05:08

No - and it was such a promising series when it began...sad

Tegan Sat 10-Aug-13 20:46:06

I think it's 'to be continued', but I don't think I can be bovvered....

Ana Sat 10-Aug-13 20:17:54

Yes, the ending of The Fall was ridiculous, wasn't it? Was it really the end of that story or not, and by the end, did we really care...? hmm

Tegan Sat 10-Aug-13 20:06:50

I do hope it has a satisfying ending, though; not like The Fall [although I can't see that happening]. It's so unpredictable.

Ana Sat 10-Aug-13 19:58:55

It's had mixed reviews on here, but I'm really enjoying it!

j08 Sat 10-Aug-13 19:50:14

Oh! I haven't noticed it! hmm Has it been good. (will find thread)

nanaej Sat 10-Aug-13 19:47:32

I enjoy Only Connect and I watched a thriller this week which I quite enjoyed too..set in the 80s but it was a new production. I enjoy Gardeners' World too and some of the travel and history programmes are interesting..lightweight often... but for a dunderhead like me I can learn something from them. The one about the royal bedchambers was amusing!

I do not enjoy current affairs discussion programmes (newsnight etc) as I get too cross then can't sleep so I often catch up with them in the day!

I try hard to look in the Sunday TV guide and see what I think I will enjoy and either record or watch live if not busy elsewhere.

I listen to a lot of Radio 4 and some local radio.

Ana Sat 10-Aug-13 19:43:59

Me too! grin

Tegan Sat 10-Aug-13 19:43:00

Two more to go. I've realised over the past two weeks that I look forward to seeing TOTL each Saturday, even though I still haven't got a clue what's going on confused.

Greatnan Sat 10-Aug-13 19:35:55

In France, you have to pay the licence if you have any apparatus capable of receiving TV programmes, even if you use it only for DVDs.
I can usually find something interesting on TV or Radio - as well as my two favourite soaps, there are courtroom dramas, like Law and Order UK, travelogues, wild life, science documentaries, .........I think there is some snobbery involved in decrying all programmes!

Ana Sat 10-Aug-13 19:23:29

Top of the Lake's nearly finished its run, jing. There's a thread about it somewhere....some of us have been watching it!

j08 Sat 10-Aug-13 19:04:04

Can't believe they've got a drama - Top of the Lake - on BBC2, at the same time as Casualty on BBC1. hmm

Nonu Sat 10-Aug-13 18:54:39

But Grumpy , the money you are saving on tv licens e is truly manna fromm heaven .

Elegran Sat 10-Aug-13 18:48:29

It is not all Corrie, GrumpyOldMan. I don't think I have ever watched it, or any of the other soaps. Consigning the whole output of all channels to perdition is rather draconian. I bet there would be an average of at least one programme a day that you would find interesting. I just wish they would not bunch together all on the same evening at the same time, though, leaving a wilderness in between.

GrumpyOldMan Sat 10-Aug-13 18:42:07

We will not have a box in the house!! I cannot see the point of paying a fee to NOT watch the rubbish that they put on.
The nearest that we get to a tv is a monitor connected to a computer to occasionally watch DVDs. At least we can choose our reruns and the program quality is much better!
As an aside I cannot see the sense in having news about what is due to happen on corrie or similar programs. This is not news! It is just moronic!

laidback Tue 16-Jul-13 00:43:28

I have not been able to watch telly for ages but 3 people tell me I have to watch 'The Returned'....I probably will do on 4OD.

jeanie99 Tue 16-Jul-13 00:33:37

We don't tend to watch live TV record mostly onto the PVR and skip thru the adverts when we view at a later date.

Tegan Sun 14-Jul-13 20:00:56

Yes; I missed the start of what looks like a good series on BBC last night. Good old iplayer. I re watched the progamme on 4 about albums the other night; I quite often rewatch BBC4 programmes anyway because I can't always take it all in first time round. I'd be devastated if they axed BBC4 [or Radio 6] sad.

Ana Sun 14-Jul-13 19:51:43

I do so agree with you, feetlebaum, about the mood-breaking continuity announcers...angry

Pittcity Sun 14-Jul-13 19:39:47

I am forever grateful to whoever invented iPlayer. There seems to have always been something on yesterday that I would have liked to watch and nothing on today?? confused

annodomini Sun 14-Jul-13 18:21:57

BBC4 doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator. I know that some would like to axe it because it is a 'minority' channel. I hope that won't happen and that, if they think about dumbing it down, they will have a re-think.

feetlebaum Sun 14-Jul-13 17:25:55

I'll try, Ella, I'll try...