Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect decent television

(119 Posts)
Biker Wed 12-Jun-13 04:37:15

I am completely and utterly fed up with re-runs and repeats of shows, series that are older than some religions.
If I see one more space in the schedules given over to 'Only Fools and Horses' I swear my size 10 will go straight through the screen!

PS does anyone know if we are ever going to get the proposed second series of "The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency"? I found the original very refreshing

FlicketyB Wed 12-Jun-13 08:04:04

In this household we have given up on television. It is something we watch when we are ill or doing the ironing.

Aka Wed 12-Jun-13 08:13:04

I agree. I've invested in a 'black box thing' now so I can record the few decent programmes that are on ( and I usually missed) and now watch these instead of the unusual junk and soaps.

glammanana Wed 12-Jun-13 08:28:33

Once you could gaurentee a decent night on a Saturday,not any more I now spend Saturday night catching up with friends on skype or baking and I am so fed up with the messing around with programmes to make way for football.

FlicketyB Wed 12-Jun-13 08:31:17

I have noticed when I visit my aunt in a care home that few if any of the residents have the television on. It is not even turned on in the day room, there they watch DVDs instead. Ten years ago my uncle was the only one in his care room not to have his television on all the time.

glammanana Wed 12-Jun-13 08:40:57

FlicketyB funny you should mention DVD's I serve a lot of people in the charity shop on Saturday's with them they also watch them instead and we do a roaring trade in Video's to those who still have a machine to play them on,they sell for 10p a video.

sunseeker Wed 12-Jun-13 08:53:42

I couldn't agree more! It has got to the stage where I no longer look to see whats on - just choose a DVD, of course that does mean I miss the rare interesting programmes that are shown!

If you don't watch soaps and are not interested in sport or "reality" programmes there is very little to choose from. Channel 4 seems to be nothing but Come Dine With Me repeats!

glammanana Wed 12-Jun-13 09:09:38

The only reality programme I have enjoyed recently is "Four in a Bed" where couple's go to other peoples B&B's and give their thoughts on their stay,I find is hilarious when some couples take the bed's apart to check for dust !! and all this just to get a plaque to go on your wall.

whenim64 Wed 12-Jun-13 09:25:19

I pick and choose what I'll watch and delight in finding old series like Lovejoy, when I want to watch TV in the afternoon. Tonight, I just checked the programme guide and there is a BBC3 debate on freedom of speech and Islamophobia, Alison Steadman in Love and Marriage, Springwatch, and Murder Files. That's an interesting selection for my tastes, so I'm quite happy.

j08 Wed 12-Jun-13 09:28:46

I had a very rare good evening's viewing last night. 'Enders followed by Holby City (good one), followed by Towns (Enniskillen this time - looks a lovely place. Very interesting). And then the programme about Abba (the blonde one is making a comeback). All very good. Doubt if this evening will be the same though.

LizG Wed 12-Jun-13 09:38:38

Not being very bright I really only enjoy watching detectve stories and get very excited when there is an old 'Lewis' which I missed the first, second, third time around. I believe these are no longer being made sad. Other than the news there seems to be little to watch. Comedies have gone, realities are in - I hate these! If the number of repeat channels were cut I wonder if this would save the country money (she mused). Oh yes, and My size 9's (*biker*) will go through the screen if Graham Norton continues his 'oh, oh, oh' much more!

tanith Wed 12-Jun-13 09:48:14

I do watch Eastenders and Holby but otherwise pick and choose the odd documentary last nights Channel 5 'Gibralter Britain in the Sun' I really enjoyed also enjoy 'The Great British Bake Off' when its on ( does that make me terribly Patriotic?) perhaps not!.. but as most of you say tv is much of a muchness nowadays despite having the odd few hundred channels grin..

Grannylin Wed 12-Jun-13 10:00:33

Am looking forward to 'Secret Life of Cats' tomorrow grin
Missed 'Dates' - did anyone watch it?

HildaW Wed 12-Jun-13 10:04:19

See they have cancelled any more series of 'The Hour' which I enjoyed!

j08 Wed 12-Jun-13 10:19:21

Heard on the news that television screens in Greece blacked out last night. Apparently a money saving thing on the part of the government. So I guess it could be worse! grin

Charleygirl Wed 12-Jun-13 10:54:38

Nothing of interest for me last night on TV. I have enough to read to keep me going for a year. I could always do ironing and tidying cupboards!

One week recently there were about 58 cookery type programmes on. It used to be houses, buying, selling and interior decorating. Talk about overkill.

Tegan Wed 12-Jun-13 11:10:37

I watch BBC4 all evening; I used to have a tv that didn't show BBC4 and the S.O. insisted on buying me a tv so I could watch it and he was so right. All Creatures Great and Small is being repeated on one channel [Yesterday, I assume]. I hardly watch daytime telly unless it's a programme with Sarah Beany in; she is worshiped in my family. Annoyed I missed the programme about Abba. And I'm still glued to The Tudors every night. I then often miss cracking good programmes like Broadchurch when they're on ITV. Saw part of the programme about Eniskillen; has anyone noticed how many tv presenters model themselves on Dan Cruickshank? Also missed the programme about the Snow Tiger cubs on Sunday sad.

feetlebaum Wed 12-Jun-13 11:13:58

LizG - Yes Lewis came to an end, with Lewis resigning to get domestic with Laura Hobson, and Hathaway also resigning from the force.

I much prefer a good repeat to a bad new show... not so long ago the whole of the New Avengers series was shown in the afternoons on some obscure channel - I didn't miss a single one! It was rather better than I had remembered - and I had forgotten just how lovely Miss Lumley was - she even managed to look fragrant, if such a thing is possible.

ninathenana Wed 12-Jun-13 11:21:29

Nobody has mentioned Frankie which was on last night, I love this.

I agree far too many repeats. Although I did delight in finding an episode of M.A.S.H. whilst babysitting at DD's last night. As we don't have sky.

harrigran Wed 12-Jun-13 11:54:50

DH and I never watch live TV. We decide on a weekend what we would like to watch the following week and it all gets recorded. I have never watched an advert and dross can be eliminated after 5 minutes if it is not to our liking.
Never watch TV on a Saturday either, it is a day for reading newspapers and doing crosswords.
Tegan watch Abba on catch up on your computer, if it was BBC you get 7 days, if it is a commercial channel you will probably have 30 days.

Tegan Wed 12-Jun-13 11:57:26

feetle; there had to be something special about someone that looked good with THAT hairdo. Even her voice is fragrant [she says goodnight to me when I turn the pooter off and I always say goodnight back]. Added to which she is the sort of lovely lady that even women like.

Aka Wed 12-Jun-13 13:56:19

nina I enjoy Frankie too.

merlotgran Wed 12-Jun-13 15:21:51

I enjoy Frankie but last night's spoiler/trailer gave a bit too much info. Why do they do it?

numberplease Wed 12-Jun-13 15:36:32

I too am looking forward to The Secret Life of Cats, then the follow up programme. I was only saying the other day that I`d love to be able to fix a tiny camcorder onto Mia, if only to find out where all the flipping oil comes from! I was annoyed with myself the other day, I deleted Casualty by accident, before we`d watched it. I know that it`s on I Player, but my daughter and I can`t seem to get our laptops in sync to watch it together. I may be a bit juvenile, but I must admit to loving Neighbours and Home and Away, and have long been an EastEnders fan, from day one.

feetlebaum Wed 12-Jun-13 15:42:28

The 'Purdey bob' was lovely! - on her, at any rate... not quite so exquisite in Series II, when it was growing out...