Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be furious at further royal privileges

(157 Posts)
nightowl Sat 29-Jun-13 12:12:28

Yes * Butty* you're right, now I've read it properly.

Lilygran I know they don't own the properties themselves, and of course we have a duty to maintain those properties, but I do think they should be more accountable for where their money comes from and how it is spent. The link proves that they want to be even less accountable.

Lilygran Sat 29-Jun-13 12:04:30

nightowl see mollie's post. Most of the royal residences actually belong to the state. Just like the Speaker's House or No 10 and 11 Downing Street or Dorneywood or Chequers or all the government buildings.

Butty Sat 29-Jun-13 12:04:24

I think the royal family do care a flying fig about public opinion, hence the new right of secrecy.
I find it interesting this has happened now. Damage control for future events perhaps?

nightowl Sat 29-Jun-13 11:38:59

I'm not too happy about the recent pay rises for the Queen and now Prince Charles. They really are rubbing our noses in it aren't they? They would do themselves a few favours in public opinion by turning down a pay rise in the current climate and using some of their vast wealth for refurbishments to their homes and for living expenses. Which only seems to confirm that they don't give a flying fig about public opinion.

mollie Sat 29-Jun-13 11:36:16

Not all, Frank. Many don't get anything from the civil list and if you noticed, Charles actually took almost 50% drop in his share if the civil list last year. He also pays for his wife, his sons and daughter in law so they aren't a burden either. And, may I say, that the Queen may get a lot of money each year but its not her pocket money. It is used to maintain the royal palaces that actually belong to the country and attract lots of visitors, it is used to pay for the visits she makes and the entertaining she hosts for visiting dignitaries so that supports hundreds of small businesses who supply her and the palaces. And it pays the wages of hundreds of staff who would otherwise be out of a job. I don't think you can complain ... If we didnt have the royal family we'd have weasly politicians and would they attract as many tourists who spend a lot of money in this country and keep restaurants and hotels etc in business? I think not.

HUNTERF Sat 29-Jun-13 11:18:13

The so called royal family are just a load of scroungers.

Frank

bluebell Sat 29-Jun-13 11:06:28

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/royal-family-granted-new-right-of-secrecy-2179148.html