Gransnet forums

AIBU

leaving rubbish

(41 Posts)
seasider Sun 07-Jul-13 01:08:47

Why do people think they can visit our local resort (St Annes on Sea), buy their children burgers, chips and drinks and then just dump their rubbish under the car when they leave! The same happens on the beach. Not only does it set a terrible example to their children it attracts the seagulls and can be dangerous to wildlife. The beach is a lovely "free" attraction on a day like today and the council are working hard to improve beach and sea quality so the least the visitors can do is take their rubbish to the bins!! angry

shysal Sun 07-Jul-13 06:57:53

Shocking , seasider. It also apalls me that cigarette ends and chewing gum are not considered by some to be litter. angry
#anddontstartmeondogpoo

JessM Sun 07-Jul-13 07:21:45

I used to belong to a david lloyd gym. nice purpose built building. Membership not cheap. Area of ground just outside it covered in chewing gum.
Do they do that on their own front path?

Aka Sun 07-Jul-13 07:25:38

Do you remember the public adverts that used to be on TV, such as 'Take Your Litter Home with You' or 'Don't be. Litter Lout'. I think there is a case for bringing these back as there's a whole section of society that seems not to have got the message.
When I go to visit my relatives in Sweden I notice how clean and litter-free it is.

Iam64 Sun 07-Jul-13 07:36:13

Total agreement from me as well Seasider. I have also often wondered about bringing back those (patronising) public service adverts Aka mentions. We are lucky enough to have 3 huge reservoirs locally, fabulous to walk around. I'm a daily visitor to one or sometimes 2 with my dogs who love to swim. I love the changing seasons, the deer and birdlife. Recently it's been difficult to make sure the dogs don't disturb the ducks/heron with their young. But - this warm weather will bring out scores of folks with plastic bags full of bread to feed the ducks with. At the smaller reservoir there is a small cafe selling food and ice creams. There are also picnic tables, and that will be the reservoir most effected by litter. Groups of young folks will be diving off the bridge to swim - I know it's illegal, but I'm more bothered by the litter they'll leave. Beer cans/bottles etc, and the family picnickers often leave copious amounts of litter around the tables which are dotted around the reservoir. I don't know who they expect to clear up after them, but increasingly it's the dog walking community who go out armed with plastic bags and tidy up as we go. Maybe it is time to have some of the public service notices on the tv about litter

Bags Sun 07-Jul-13 08:03:52

As well as advertisments, we need to employ more litter-pickers. If we regarded them as essential as, say, office-cleaners, the problem wouldn't be solved, but the litter would be picked up. I think businesses who open public amenities (e.g. ice-cream shops and cafés at restaurants; David Lloyd gyms) should have something in their contract with the local council that says they have to clean up the mess their customers leave. And they should be heavily fined if they don't do it.

Draconian perhaps but effective not only at removing litter but also at getting the message across.

Bags Sun 07-Jul-13 08:21:48

That should be cafés at reservoirs.

Grannyknot Sun 07-Jul-13 08:32:13

Bags that's a good idea, re business looking after their own space, and it was implemented for the Olympics, so not sure why it couldn't just be kept up. I'm not sure whether I agree that more litter pickers should be employed. I've already more than once heard it expressed 'That's what litter pickers are for' when there's a grumble about littering.

Here's a lovely story with a litter theme: I walk through a park on the way to work in the morning (in London). There's a Jamaican man who runs a chicken-and-rice food stall there. When I walk through there early in the morning, he is already set up, ready for the day, and goes about the park picking up litter and cleaning the entire area (it's not a very big park), his dreadlocks bobbing and swinging as he works. Done with the litter, he delivers coffee from his stall to the small group of homeless people who sleep in the far corner. I've stopped him and told him what a shining example of community excellence he is.

Aka Sun 07-Jul-13 08:49:23

That is a lovely story Grannyknot.
How about more people on community service orders doing litter pick ups too?

Bags Sun 07-Jul-13 08:54:41

I like that story too, gknot. Would that there were more like him. In effect, he is doing what I suggest.

If businesses were responsible for the clean-up of the areas around their premises, they would effectively have to employ people to do the cleaning up. It might be part of a whole job description, such as wiping down tables, sweeping the floor, etc.

In gknot's example above it is the manager himself who does the necessary work. Good for him to regard it as part of his job. Five stars from me.

sunseeker Sun 07-Jul-13 08:55:44

Going round the supermarket yesterday came across a piece of chewing gum stuck onto a packet of biscuits shock. When I pointed it out to one of the assistants she said it didn't surprise her as they are always finding rubbish left on shelves - who does that?

Bags Sun 07-Jul-13 08:55:58

I see it as community repsonsibility in practice.

Bags Sun 07-Jul-13 08:56:40

Slobs do it, sunseeker. Utter slobs.

whenim64 Sun 07-Jul-13 09:19:26

I have the same litter problem, living at the edge of a lovely park, where visitors cut through the trees and walk through from my lane. As soon as there is an event or a sunny day, the litter increases a hundred-fold. Magpies pick up junk food and fly into my garden to dunk chips, Doritos, slices of bread and any discarded food they find, in my bird bath. There are junk food cartons, cans and cigarette packs left behind on the lane, which my dog goes for like a guided missile. By Wednesday, I'll be firing off yet another email complaining that, yet again, litter pickers have forgotten that they are supposed to pick up park litter every Tuesday. My bin gets full of the stuff.

sunseeker Sun 07-Jul-13 09:27:06

As a young child I was on a day out with the school, we sat on the grass to eat the packed lunch we had been given. Encouraged by the friend I was sitting with we left the paper bags in the grass. This was noticed by the teacher who asked everyone on the coach to show her the bags. Of course, we couldn't. We received the most severe telling off I have ever experienced and I have never since dropped litter. (Today the teacher would probably be sued for causing mental anguish!)

Nelliemoser Sun 07-Jul-13 09:30:20

I detest litter. I cannot see how people can leave their own mess lying about its often picnic and take away stuff. One of the problems of paying people to pick up litter though, is that it makes those lazy people who drop it even more inclined to think Oh well! Someone else is paid to pick it up.

Brain wash children in primary schools to influence their parents never to do it. Though that sounds a bit too much like tactics out of the chinese Cultural Revolution. Hey what a good idea it might just work! wink

Grannyknot Sun 07-Jul-13 10:22:49

Bags now that's a good idea, if litter picking became part of the jobs of people employed by the businesses who create the litter. It's kind of micro corporate eco-social responsiblity. (what a sentence, but you get my drift) smile

Bags Sun 07-Jul-13 10:25:42

I do indeed smile. MCESR rules OK.

Butty Sun 07-Jul-13 10:46:21

gk and B - smile

JessM Sun 07-Jul-13 13:17:41

Can't see the ads coming back. The government do very little advertising these days. Cuts. Even about things like HIV or vaccination.

seasider Sun 07-Jul-13 23:46:05

I remember having talks at school about dropping litter. When my children were small my pockets were full of their sweetie wrappers etc which I told them to give to me if there was no bin around. None of them drop litter and are teaching their children the same behaviour. I think it is really just a case of reinforcing the message with children who can pass it on to their slobby parents! It would save the local authorities a fortune on street cleaning. When my son had a part-time job at Mcdonalds he was promoted to dining room host and one of his duties was to keep the outside dining area clean and clear up rubbish smile

absent Sun 07-Jul-13 23:54:40

Dropping quantities of litter and leaving the remains of picnics lying around do seem to be peculiarly British habits. Similarly, not clearing up dog mess. Not national characteristics of which to be proud. sad

laidback Mon 08-Jul-13 00:11:18

I really HATE people Who Leave litter in public places, how hard is it to put it in a bin or your bag till u find a bin?....Lazy.

Greatnan Mon 08-Jul-13 06:37:59

French people seem less inclined to litter, perhaps because the are large public bins everywhere, but I am afraid dog faeces are another matter.
I think a number of litter bins were removed in London at the height of the IRA bombing campaign - have they been restored?

Bags Mon 08-Jul-13 06:48:05

They are not peculiarly British characteristics, absent. Both were about a hundred times worse in Thailand. I daresay in a few other places too. We do seem to be worse by European standards though.