Gransnet forums

AIBU

To get fed up with bt broadband

(44 Posts)
Galen Mon 15-Jul-13 19:07:01

When I have to spend an hour on the phone and contort myself into convoluted positions, to prove to them that what I told them was the truth?
My hub is dead! Defunct! Not working! Not getting electricity!extinct! Etc:

Mishap Mon 15-Jul-13 19:13:12

For heavens sake! It is inhuman. These large impersonal organisations are pathetic. Sorry you have had to go through all this on this lovely sunny day.

Ariadne Mon 15-Jul-13 19:34:30

I have sat in for my DD twice recently, waiting for BT to arrive to sort out their boxes. Nice technicians, who couldn't DO anything. Thank heavens for Sky. And yes, the fact that I can afford it!

sunseeker Mon 15-Jul-13 19:39:33

I have BT as well, and since they "upgraded" it, have been having nothing but problems, it keeps dropping out and is even slower than usual. Its infuriating.

Grandmanorm Mon 15-Jul-13 21:01:15

Galen I just phone the business line and that works. They also ask if I am the person named on the bill and I just say yes, even though it is not in my name!!! Hope that helps.

Galen Mon 15-Jul-13 21:31:15

They're sending me a new hub which is all I wanted. To get this however I had to be in a queue for half an hour then be transferred to another queue for another half hour, then do various tests which I'd already done but had to repeat. There was no power to it! Obvious! I'd already tried rebooting and resetting, but I'm a woman, therefore incapable of doing basic testsangry
So therefore had to repeat them!(even more)angry

Ella46 Mon 15-Jul-13 22:41:53

BT told me today that the engineer's call out fee is £99!
I told them not to bother, I'll find someone else to fix it.

glammanana Mon 15-Jul-13 22:52:30

Ella46 my downstairs neighbour has had problems for weeks with her BT line and countless calls from the engineer who called fixed what was supposed to be the problem only for it to happen again the next day,she was told that the problem was internal and her problem as she had fitted her own extention cable if she erquested another visit and have new wiring fitted it would cost £280.00 for the job to be done,what is very scary is that her support link is tied into her phone line so when the phone decides to stop working the battery kicks in and all you hear every 4 mins is a recording saying the phone is disconnected so where do you go from there,they have you over a barrell and she has to pay the charge.

Aka Mon 15-Jul-13 22:58:26

My 'BT' Openreach engineer admitted he does not wok for BT and that most of the work us 'outsourced'....shock

Ana Mon 15-Jul-13 23:00:04

I'm keeping my fingers crossed....!confused

glammanana Mon 15-Jul-13 23:02:23

AKA the guy from BT who set up my infinity also worked for Sky and sometimes for Virgin on a separate contract.

Galen Mon 15-Jul-13 23:24:51

Is there anyway that BT can be sent this thread?

Galen Mon 15-Jul-13 23:26:32

I've reported my post to GNHQ! So they might be able to help?

jeanie99 Tue 16-Jul-13 00:34:58

This sounds like a complete nightmare for you all, thank goodness we are not with BT I would be pulling my hair out.

kittylester Tue 16-Jul-13 06:34:43

We've just swapped to BT [worried emoticon]

baubles Tue 16-Jul-13 06:44:29

I understand what a nightmare it has been for those who have had problems with BT but my experience has been completely different. A couple of years ago I had to have a replacement hub sent out but it was done quickly & efficiently, since then I've had absolutely no problems with the broadband.

Here's hoping everyone gets sorted out quickly & that everything works for you Kitty

Aka Tue 16-Jul-13 06:53:51

Yes, good idea Galen or perhaps GNHQ could invite their CEO on for a live webchat.

MrsJamJam Tue 16-Jul-13 06:56:22

The last time the phones all went down here and everyone was cut off for several days, it turned out to have been one of the local farmers who had been shooting pigeons and got the phone wire instead!! BT fixed it within a couple of days, but I think it cost the farmer a good few pints in the pub grin

Aka Tue 16-Jul-13 06:57:26

Have those with problems used the phrase 'I want to escalate this. Please put a supervisor on'?
I was told to do this once with BT and to be fair I was then put through to a senior manager who took responsibility for the problem and sorted it out.
Worth a try??

Mishap Tue 16-Jul-13 09:41:01

Even when your provider is not BT, they own and service the lines. We had endless trouble a few years back. I will not bore you with the saga, but what I did discover is that when you have to have several visits to cure a fault (and we had dozens and dozens) the engineer at your house at any moment has no idea what previous engineers have tried as they do not pass that info on - how stupid is that! It is the policy apparently.

Anne58 Tue 16-Jul-13 09:44:56

We have had PlusNet for our broadband for quite a few years now, and I switched to them for my phone as well after getting fed up with my ever increasing phone bill.

We have free anytime calls to standard numbers, unlimited broadband and the highest my bill has been since we switched (over 6 months ago now) was £15.85. I've just had advance notice of the amount for this month - £11.34.

They are also very easy to deal with if you do have any problems or queries.

whenim64 Tue 16-Jul-13 09:46:40

That's helpful, Phoenix. I've been thinking about switching to them.

kittylester Tue 16-Jul-13 09:59:28

Up to now our BT has been fine and our broadband much quicker - which was what we hoped for. Our village is now 'fibre optic' and we are about 200 yards from the box.

We were with AOL and had been worried about the change but decided that, as one could go and make a cup of tea while waiting for something vital like GN to 'appear', the time had come for change.

We knew that we had signed up for a contract with AOL but had no idea when or for how long. We looked on 'Your Account' on AOL but could find no trace. I rang them to cancel and they told us that we had 6 months left but when I asked why we couldn't find out from the site, I was told that they don't put personal information on the site because of all the fraud that is happening in the UK confused

I was also told that we would lose our phone number (which also happens to be the business line). I said that BT were the only people who could take the number from us and that I didn't like being threatened in that way (I was angry by now!!) and was told, in no uncertain terms, that I had not been threatened and the girl could take action against me for saying she had threatened me confusedconfusedangry

She also said that, if we did not pay the rest of the contract 'action' would be taken.

The BT engineer who changed us over was lovely and did everything possibly to ensure that things were working well before he left.

Just going to bolt the door in case the bailiffs are around. grin

Mishap Tue 16-Jul-13 10:19:28

AOL is a pain - on the round robin I regularly send out, 3 people are on AOL and they bounce back every time.

Movedalot Tue 16-Jul-13 10:33:21

I think it may depend where you live. We had big issues with BT in Surrey but when we had a problem shortly after moving here they came and fixed it quite quickly and the engineer sorted out the problem which was in the loft but we were not charged!

We have BT Internet and have no problems and it does allow us to pick up the Internet at various BT hotspots as well.

I heard that PlusNet is owned byt BT, is better and cheaper so when our contract runs out we will investigate changing to them.

Galen I don't think they treated you like that because you are a woman, I think they assume we are all idiots and that it is an 'IDtenT' problem! grin