Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sorry, but I need a rant!

(28 Posts)
Anne58 Fri 26-Jul-13 18:25:28

Haven't even got the bloody car yet, but I don't like the colour, I don't like the interior, and I think it's overpriced.

After all the problems, I want to say "no" and get the money back.

Mr P not only doesn't agree, but wont even discuss it, let alone look at the other cars I've found that are cheaper, newer and lower mileage. (albeit different makes/models)

I'm so sorry if I sound like a spoilt child (for a really good example see the Mackenzie thing on youtube!) but this is all going wrong on so many levels!

Sad, cross, and upset.

KatyK Fri 26-Jul-13 18:55:02

Oh no. That's awful. And after you were so excited. sad

Bags Fri 26-Jul-13 18:55:45

OH dear! sad flowers

glammanana Fri 26-Jul-13 18:57:45

Is there any way you can have mr.P come up the decision about another car with him thinking it is his idea,a sort of reverse scicology or is he firmly stuck on the idea,ask him how will you get the car back to the garage if a breakdown occurs in the 3 mths warranty period,or just drip little idea's and let him have a think.mr.g. has loads of ideas that where mine to start with and he is still clueless as to how he agreed to them.go and have a large wine or two.

henetha Fri 26-Jul-13 19:00:48

How about downright defiance and rebellion???
Buy a bright red little old banger of your choice.... or whatever.
What's the worst he can do?

wisewoman Fri 26-Jul-13 19:15:48

Just say no! You are an amazing lady who has come through so much. You are entitled to an opinion!

Tegan Fri 26-Jul-13 19:17:55

I think Mr P was /is buying a car that he wants even though he actually thinks he's buying it for you. And, being a man, he won't admit he's made a mistake. I bet he never stops and asks people for directions either. Mind you, he is still doing it with the best of intentions, which makes it hard to stand up to sad.

vampirequeen Fri 26-Jul-13 19:48:29

Did you see a photo of the car before you bought it? What's wrong with the colour/interior?

Ana Fri 26-Jul-13 19:52:19

The trouble is, those who haven't seen the previous threads about phoenix's birthday car have missed a lot of info! grin

Ella46 Fri 26-Jul-13 19:54:30

P Nothing to stop you selling it after a short time, is there?

Pete Fri 26-Jul-13 19:55:06

This thread is under the heading of "Am I being unreasonable?"......Well simple answer 'YES'.
The poor bloke can't do right from wrong. If I were "Mr P" I would cancel it, get my money back...and keep the money!
On the drive on your birthday would be a child's peddle-car...wrapped in a bow.............Then you could really stamp your feet, scream til you're sick and carry on behaving like a big kid. (The bow would probably be the wrong colour as well) shock

Hope this helps! grin

Ella46 Fri 26-Jul-13 19:56:39

No, it doesn't Pete!

Why don't you swap with his car?

Stansgran Fri 26-Jul-13 19:56:54

Hope Pete isn't Mr. P

Ana Fri 26-Jul-13 20:10:21

grin!

Nelliemoser Fri 26-Jul-13 20:10:46

Phoenix I do not think you are being unreasonable at all. If it's supposed to be yours you will want to feel comfortable driving it. You say you are not very tall. Can you see out of it reasonably well? Reach the pedals comfortably etc.
To buy a car that you have never actually sat in and appears to be mechanically unsound is a waste of money and IMHO just daft. I really do wonder just whose toy this is supposed to be. Yours or his.

Phoenix (((hugs)))

Anne58 Fri 26-Jul-13 20:24:57

Thanks all, (except Pete)

Mr P and I have now had a more civilised discussion, he wanted to phone tomorrow and cancel the sale, but I have suggested that we do have the whole weekend to think about it.

A few moments ago we both came up into the office, and he did actually look at some of the other cars on Autotrader, then fell in love with a grey BMW something or other, god knows what, but calm seems to have been restored.

Yes, I know I'm a very lucky person to have someone who wants to give me such an extravagant present, and yes, to some (Pete) I may seem to be behaving like a spoilt child, but it is supposed to be me who will be driving the damn thing! (I would like to point out that we are looking at cars that are considerably less than £5k, not that that is anyone's business)

Nellie you have a really good point about the visibility thing, the dealer had to raise the level of the drivers seat for me!

#wishidneverbloodymentionedit

Ana Fri 26-Jul-13 20:27:49

But you see, again it's Mr P who has 'fallen in love' with the BMW phoenix. It seems that it's not what you want but what he wants...confused

Anne58 Fri 26-Jul-13 20:28:55

blush

Ana Fri 26-Jul-13 21:04:11

You shouldn't be blushing, phoenix, you should be kicking ass!

Anne58 Fri 26-Jul-13 21:21:33

I'll change my shoes grin

Actually, I think it may be all right after all, not entirely sure, but fingers crossed.

Butty Fri 26-Jul-13 23:39:11

Good-oh. smile

Anne58 Fri 26-Jul-13 23:59:26

All quiet here, Mr P fast asleep, we will see what the next day brings!

As I used to say to Jack, and with apologies to atheists, good night, god bless, sweet dreams. moon

Anne58 Mon 29-Jul-13 09:32:39

The car was delivered yesterday.

Later on today I will drive it for the first time.

glammanana Mon 29-Jul-13 09:37:17

Enjoy smile

glassortwo Mon 29-Jul-13 09:41:07

I have missed all the goings on but I hope all is well when you get to drive it phoenix sunshine