Gransnet forums

AIBU

Doing people a favour.......

(151 Posts)
Anne58 Sun 11-Aug-13 19:01:59

Some months ago I lent my 4wd automatic to the friend who had the stroke, as he was going back to work and it was easier for him to drive than a manual, given that his left side was still quite weak.

About 6 weeks ago, they told me that there had been an accident with a "boy racer" no-one hurt (fortunately) but considerable damage to the body work of my car. sad They said that they would arrange repairs etc.

We went over to have dinner with them last night and I was a bit taken aback to see the car sitting on the drive, still badly damaged. They said that they have not actually used it for the last 5 weeks.

I didn't say anything as I didn't want to spoil the evening, however I do think that if they weren't actually using it, it would have been the ideal time to get it fixed?

Mr P lost 3 days work last week due to problems with his car, and I have said that it would be quite useful to have the other car back, but I really would like it repaired before it is returned.

I know that they are not exactly "flush" for money, and I think that the repair isn't going to be cheap, but I do feel a bit let down.

I also was a bit surprised that the damage seemed to be on the passenger side, (although to be honest I couldn't see the drivers side because of the way it was parked), the way the accident was described to me I would have expected it to be the drivers side that was hit.

I'm beginning to get a bad feeling about this..................

merlotgran Sun 11-Aug-13 20:00:10

Or they could buy the car from you (at pre-accident value). Then they can take as long as they like to get it repaired.

Anne58 Sun 11-Aug-13 20:01:36

merlot I suppose that could be a possibility, but I actually rather like the car and come the winter it could be a better option than my current wheels!

j08 Sun 11-Aug-13 20:22:36

They would have insured it, would n' t they? shock (thinking worst case scenario now)

j08 Sun 11-Aug-13 20:23:53

I' m sure they did. They just need a little gentle geeing up.

Anne58 Sun 11-Aug-13 21:00:50

Definitely insured, I don't think they would have even thought of driving it without insurance.

Tegan Sun 11-Aug-13 21:04:17

I know what you mean, j. I can't help but question someone who is so nonchalant about damaging someone else's car when it had been lent to them. I won't even drive the S.O.'s car even though my name is on the insurance as I'm so worried that I might dent it.

ginny Sun 11-Aug-13 21:44:09

I think you need to sit down and have a proper discussion with them. It all sounds very odd to me. I'm sure you don't want to loose a friend but I don't think they are acting in a way friends should. I realise that they have been having some hard times but sorry, that is no excuse when you have been so generous.

Tegan Sun 11-Aug-13 21:53:10

I hope that the stroke hasn't affected his insurance claim; I'm assuming he has been pased fit to drive again?

Anne58 Sun 11-Aug-13 22:07:12

Yes, Tegan no problems on that score.

ginny I really hope that when we speak tomorrow evening that they will have at least booked the car in to be done, whether they are claiming on their insurance or planning to pay another way. (I know that they are currently paying the village mechanic, not the body repair man, so much a month for work they had done to one of their other cars)

Basically, I just want my car back and in the same state it was when I lent it to them, surely not too much to ask?

Ana Sun 11-Aug-13 22:13:53

Of course not phoenix, you're not being at all unreasonable, but I have to say I think signing the car over to them was perhaps not strictly necessary and may have complicated matters as regards ownership/insurance etc.

As they are now the registered keepers, I'm not sure what, if any, legal rights you have. It will be down to to the goodwill between you.

Tegan Sun 11-Aug-13 22:25:40

We had a car that was given to us by my FIL and it caused no end of problems when it was badly damaged in a hit and run and wasn't registered in our name [even though we'd insured it].

harrigran Sun 11-Aug-13 22:43:59

I think the words ... neither a lender nor a borrower be spring to mind. Your generosity is admirable, I just hope they do the decent thing.

Otw10413 Sun 11-Aug-13 22:59:42

I hate to be the bearer of yet more worrying news , but in all probability , if your friend did or didn't inform his insurers about his stroke , he may find that they wouldn't cover him anyway as they do love to find a way out of paying if they possibly can ! Keeping my fingers , toes and eyes crossed for you . smile

Anne58 Mon 12-Aug-13 09:07:30

Otw they definitely did inform their insurers. I'm more concerned that they didn't report the accident, so it may well be that they are sort of out of time on that score.

And I also find it odd that the damage (well, the damage that I could see) was on the passenger side.

Bez Mon 12-Aug-13 09:14:32

Some twenty years ago I had a run in with a 'boy racer' and all the damage was to the passenger side as he came out of a side road without looking and did both doors etc. so maybe that side caught the same on your car.
Very worrying though Phoenix and I find it odd that the damage has not been sorted nor is there a timescale in place for it to be done.
Hope it is all done properly for you and soon.

Anne58 Mon 12-Aug-13 09:24:58

Thanks Bez. The way that I thought the accident happened was on a narrow bridge, not the other party coming out of a side road, but I may have misunderstood.

shysal Mon 12-Aug-13 09:39:03

I think the insurance companies usually need a police accident report number, even if they don't attend. As they have no details of the other driver it might be a problem, they should phone the local police station and talk it through.

hummingbird Mon 12-Aug-13 09:48:35

It sounds a bit dodgy, to me, Phoenix! These people are the ones who should be worrying about compromising your friendship - not you! I think it's time for a straight and honest discussion, and if they're not happy at the end of it, it's their problem. There's only so much you can do, Phoenix!

kittylester Mon 12-Aug-13 10:08:15

I can see where you are coming from phoenix but, as you've been a good friend in their 'hour of need' they should be leaning over backwards to sort this out for you. I'm sure they are struggling to come to terms with all the changes that are happening/have happened in their lives but they should recognise that you have been through a lot lately too.

Let us know what happens.

Really glad you friend is making a good recovery. sunshine

DH lent one of his brothers his MGBGT (his pride and joy) when he came over from Canada for job interviews prior to moving the family back permanently. BiL went for a job interview in Birmingham, had an argument with a bus which scraped and dented the front wing and bought us a coffee set (Worcester factory shop secondangry) to compensate. confused

janthea Mon 12-Aug-13 10:12:57

I may have loaned someone a car, but never signed it over to them whatever the circumstances.

Anne58 Mon 12-Aug-13 10:14:59

kitty that hardly seems a good deal!

Anne58 Mon 12-Aug-13 11:03:41

Quick sort of update, I have just received the V5C for the car Mr P bought me for my birthday, and in big letters across the top it says

"This document is not proof of ownership. It shows who is responsible for registering and taxing the vehicle." So that score I think I did the right thing in temporarily transferring the Suzuki, because if at any stage they had not renewed the road tax, I would not have been held accountable.

I will be speaking to J once she comes home from work, and will ask what stage they are at re. getting the repairs done.

Otw10413 Mon 12-Aug-13 14:36:52

Dear kittylester and Phoenix ,
It's so sad when your kindnesses end up with angst , cost and inconvenience for you . sad

kittylester Mon 12-Aug-13 14:47:50

DH and I laugh about it now!

That brother is a bit of a nightmare anyway - never wrong about anything BUT last time he came he broke the shower door and the time before that dragged a filthy suitcase across newly laid cream carpet!

phoenix has been very good to these friends and doesn't deserve to be treated badly! sad

Anne58 Mon 12-Aug-13 18:02:07

kitty it's very kind of you to say that.

J was working until 4pm today, I have just tried to ring her and got the "the person you are calling is on the phone, please leave a message" thingy. I left a bright and cheery message just saying hi, and to give me a ring when she gets the message. I hope she does, otherwise I will start to worry even more!