Gransnet forums

AIBU

Grandchild name

(222 Posts)
ermintrude Thu 15-Aug-13 22:17:36

My son has give his son what I consider to be a girl's name. I am gutted and have fallen out with him big time.

Need advice.

Gagagran Tue 27-Aug-13 08:09:18

Funny that shysal - my DD is a Sally too and her (just 2 years old) brother couldn't say her name either. He called her SaSa for ages. Usually just Sal these days!

shysal Tue 27-Aug-13 08:05:10

I was happy being Sally until the next door neighbours got a dog with the same name! My young brother couldn't say it properly, so I became Lalla, later evolving into Lula, which my mother used when being affectionate, which wasn't very often!

Gally Tue 27-Aug-13 07:30:53

Just got news of a friend's new gc this morning : Flora - strange after my previous post. I am jealous wink

Iam64 Tue 27-Aug-13 07:21:33

Yes, it's morphed into a fun thread. I wonder which of the current popular names is secretly lusted after by children. Babies born in our friendship circle recently we include Sylvia, Rupert, Sophia, Poppy, William, Martha, Alfie, Archie, Charlie, Tilly.

Ariadne Tue 27-Aug-13 07:05:01

Don't know what happened to the OP but am enjoying the ramifications of this thread! smile

Sook Mon 26-Aug-13 22:06:28

KatyK this Susan had/has an unruly mop of hair no neat plaits for me. Yes to the white socks as my nan had worked as a laundress in her youth, she boiled and dolly blued everything white. It had a dire effect on knicker elastic so I could well have been called droopy drawers grin

whenim64 Mon 26-Aug-13 19:49:56

You'll be wanting me to sign up, then gaga! grin

Gagagran Mon 26-Aug-13 19:36:00

I seem to attract Carols! There were six in my form at Grammar School and every other person in my current choir seems to be a Carol! (Quite appropriate really for singers!) smile

KatyK Mon 26-Aug-13 19:22:38

As a child, I always wanted to be called Susan. Susans were always the pretty little girls with neat plaits and clean white socks which I never was.
Susans went on holidays and days out and their dads worked and had cars.
Am I sounding a bit Catherine Cookson? I'm happy with my own name now though ! smile

hummingbird Mon 26-Aug-13 18:38:20

My choir has about 70 members, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that that every other one of them is called Sue! (well, I might be exaggerating only VERY slightly!) grin

Sook Sun 25-Aug-13 21:43:10

susie not quite as many as you. I had 3 in my class and 8 in my year. My husbands SiL is also Susan which can lead to mix ups now and then at opticians etc. I also have a cousin Susan 14 years my junior, we were known as Big Sue and Little Sue I hated that. When we moved to Cheshire I decided that I would use my middle name Elizabeth, three of my immediate neighbours were called Elizabeth grin

nanaej Sun 25-Aug-13 18:50:56

I have no middle name but I did change my surname by deed poll and use my mother's given name as my surname now. I should have added more names as it cost the same no matter how many names!

My mother wanted to call my younger brother Rupert! I was horrified as I only knew the bear. Luckily the woman in the next maternity bed delivered first and called her child Rupert so my brother got Jeremy instead!confused

susieb755 Sun 25-Aug-13 17:43:44

Sook - were there many of you at school/ I had 5 in my class and 16 in my year sad

JessM Sun 25-Aug-13 16:59:52

Apparently when my paternal grandmother heard what I had been called her shocked comment was: "Jessica? What kind of a name is that ?" At that time it was an obscure Shakespearean name and pretty much unheard of for living people.

numberplease Sun 25-Aug-13 16:57:31

My name is Lois, but even though I`ve known her for almost 51 years, my sister-in-law insists on writing Lowis on greetings cards.

Elegran Sun 25-Aug-13 12:42:16

My mother was Louise, though she was never called by the full name, except officially. One of my cousins wrote her a thank-you note after a birthday which started "Dear Aunt Lousie . . . "

KatyK Sun 25-Aug-13 12:13:20

Jane - I was one of 7 children and the only one who didn't have a middle name. I always felt slightly miffed about it. My older sister had two middle names which made it worse !

janeainsworth Sun 25-Aug-13 12:06:12

Soop I felt deprived as a child because apart from my sister, everyone else had a middle name and I didn't.
I used to pretend it was Elizabeth.

soop Sun 25-Aug-13 11:48:36

I've always fancied being an Annabel. Pretty name. My middle name's Louise. It's growing on me...wink

Gally Sun 25-Aug-13 09:05:00

Annsixty grin
My MiL was called Gladys - nuff said!

Sook Sat 24-Aug-13 22:37:50

jane my Welsh granny called me Suse, as she must have called her sister Susannah. I only discovered Susannah a few years ago when I was researching grannys family tree .

Deedaa Sat 24-Aug-13 22:31:00

I suffered tortures at school because I was the only Caroline. It was very outlandish at the time. My mother told me that if I had been my younger sister (keep up at the back!) She would have called me Charlotte. At the time I thought I had had a lucky escape - now I think it would have been rather nice.

My mother was always instant that no one should shorten my name and call me Carol. So how come, once I was grown up, she started calling me Caro?

annsixty Sat 24-Aug-13 21:33:45

I do not like the name Florence as it was my MiL's name. nuff said.

Gally Sat 24-Aug-13 21:25:18

We have a Florence in the family and she is known as Flossie. I wanted to name DD1 Flora but, as Jess says, the margarine Flora had just appeared on the market and everyone said 'you can't possibly name a baby after margarine' so she became Hannah instead hmm

annsixty Sat 24-Aug-13 21:12:20

Am now wondering is soop best friends with Prince Micheal of Kent?