Gransnet forums

AIBU

Grandchild name

(221 Posts)
ermintrude Thu 15-Aug-13 22:17:36

My son has give his son what I consider to be a girl's name. I am gutted and have fallen out with him big time.

Need advice.

j08 Thu 15-Aug-13 22:24:05

What's the name?

glammanana Thu 15-Aug-13 22:25:57

Welcome to GN ermintrude how sad that you have fallen out at a time that should be full of happiness for you and your family,I can tell you that my 2DGSs name was not something I would have chosen but I bit my tounge as advised by my DH and admitted it was not my place to voice my opinion,this DGS now 21 has really "grown" into his name and he likes it and his parents like it so thats all that matters,try not to make waves where you don't need to as it can esculate into something much more serious,there are alot of names which can be used for both boys and girls which are very acceptable.

whenim64 Thu 15-Aug-13 22:26:16

There are many names that are given to both boys and girls. For goodness sake, don't fall out with them.

janeainsworth Thu 15-Aug-13 22:28:58

My advice would be to apologise big time.
Whatever were you thinking about, to dare to criticise something which is entirely your son's and his wife's prerogative.

j08 Thu 15-Aug-13 22:33:59

might work out well

j08 Thu 15-Aug-13 22:36:14

Falling out with him isn't going to help, is it?

Yes YABU

nanaej Thu 15-Aug-13 22:39:45

It is their baby! Yes YABU! Just love the baby and your DS & DiL! Life is too short to fall out over a name!

nanaej Thu 15-Aug-13 22:40:40

Big bouquet of flowers asap to your DiL and a big apology!

merlotgran Thu 15-Aug-13 22:52:25

jingle grin

You beat me too it!

harrigran Thu 15-Aug-13 22:53:25

I have to agree, YABU. DS and DIL probably thought long and hard before deciding on the name, not your place to query their choice.

merlotgran Thu 15-Aug-13 22:55:09

Please, ermintrude, will you tell us the name?

Hunt Thu 15-Aug-13 23:15:39

Ermintrude, my mil and fil made such a fuss about not liking our DD's chosen name that I never quite forgave her.The name? Maria Francesca. make the peace as soon as you can before permanent damage is done.My M and D gave me a boy's name. I share it with John Wayne ( his real name ) .It has never bothered me.

Deedaa Thu 15-Aug-13 23:20:26

One of my daughter's colleagues has given all his children the names of archangels as middle names! Once you get past Gabriel, Raphael and Michael they become distinctly odd.

My mother in law refuses to remember her great grandson's name because she doesn't like it smile

gillybob Thu 15-Aug-13 23:28:29

You can't please all the people all the time Ermintrude No offence but wasn't that the name of the cow from Magic Roundabout ?

What's in a name? My daughter asked me recently why she didn't have a middle name when all her friends did have. I said I was sorry but she could have my name as her middle name if she wanted to..... She declined ! smile

Galen Thu 15-Aug-13 23:43:16

It was indeed. Along with Florence, Dillon (the stoned rabbit) Brian, the snail, Dougal the dog and (time for bed )Zebedee!
We used to rush back from lectures at university to see it!

Galen Thu 15-Aug-13 23:45:41

Deeda Tobiad?

Galen Thu 15-Aug-13 23:46:23

Tobias?

Otw10413 Thu 15-Aug-13 23:55:07

Dear Ermintrude,
If they had called the child something you'd wanted , then they would still be children themselves. You have to respect ( not like necessarily) their choices and you have to love that grandchild with all your heart - then whatever they called him, he will have the inner strength to deal with it through the confidence and love you show him. Just a thought .
Good luck and congratulations .
flowers

Galen Thu 15-Aug-13 23:58:24

Probably Uriel

Anne58 Fri 16-Aug-13 00:17:17

Oh for heavens sake tell us the name !!!

Otw10413 Fri 16-Aug-13 00:31:17

Is it Hilary , Robin , Charlie or Evelyn ? All great names for both sexes.

ermintrude Fri 16-Aug-13 04:38:10

I do not expect to choose a name. But I also did not expect them to choose a girls name which will cause a great deal of upset to the child throughout his life.

I only wanted to warn my son of what might happen. I consider it a form of abuse to give the child such an unsuitable name. At least I know that I tried to warn him.

It is nothing like Hilary, Robin Charlie or Evelyn.

I cannot even bear thinking of the harm to the child. I would only be able to look at the child now with pity.

He owes me a great deal of money already yet have extended their house without asking me if I wanted my stake back. So no way are they getting any flowers from me.

They seem to have consulted her parents regarding the name, but not me.

Bags Fri 16-Aug-13 06:21:40

The cow in the MagicRoundabout was rather silly, I seem to remember, though nice as well.

Don't complain when they don't bring the child to visit you ermintrude. YABU to expect to be 'consulted' about a grandchild's name. YABU to feel nothing but pity for a child who has a name you don't like. YABU to be such a grump about something so silly.

You did ask.

Actually, I think you are kidding. Nobody's that daft.

surely?

MiceElf Fri 16-Aug-13 06:36:32

We have one male friend called Val, short for Valentine, and another called Vivian, and no one remarks or finds it odd. And Leslie's coming back, I'm told. You need to get over it and love the little one. And let's face it, if a child hates their own name they soon change it to a nickname which they are happy with.