Gransnet forums

AIBU

Aibu in questioning my mum's medication?

(37 Posts)
carosanto Fri 16-Aug-13 22:44:04

Staying for a few days with my 93 year old - and totally compos mentis - mum. She gets a call from her surgery, actually affiliated surgery, someone on reception. They inform mum that her last cholesterol count was a bit high and that 'they' were going to prescribe statins. Mum had the sense to query this, and 'they' said they'd send her a diet sheet. This duly arrived and turned out to be a Heart Foundation generalised booklet about cholesterol, and mum is doing everything right already, ie, lots of fruit, veggies etc, but admittedly not much vigorous exercise!

Now here's the thing. Yes, mum has diabetes which I believe to be an indicator for taking statins, but she also wears a full time catheter, suffers many infections as a result, has osteoporosis in her neck arms and shoulder and gets dreadful pain, and has arthritic hands. Given that muscle pain is a side affect of statins, might this not degrade her quality of life. Methinks that 'they' should be seeking answers to her existing problems, not sticking mum on powerful meds which may or maynot improve a condition she may/not be suffering from.

I wouldn't mind but this was not even a doctor calling her, and apparently 'their' tone bordered on the bullying.

AIBU to be concerned? Am I paranoid? And are there any gransnetters with experience, good or bad, of statins? Would appreciate any feedback.

LizG Wed 21-Aug-13 08:37:29

I wish they put a 'like' or 'thanks' button on here because I have only just spotted poppycocks link and it has proved helpful and informative. Bit delayed on my part, but many thanks.

LizG Wed 21-Aug-13 08:39:24

Apologies for misspelling your name Poppikok

JessM Wed 21-Aug-13 10:42:16

I would proceed with caution lisG before taking seriously any information found on any internet sites that are selling supplements. I'm sure poppicock meant to be helpful but sites like this are completely unregulated and can get away with saying anything (other than directly claiming that something cures cancer, which is against the law on both sides of the Atlantic). They normally contain very poor quality information at best and downright lies at worst. On this site for instance they are pushing something herbal and untested to "regulate blood sugar".

Jendurham Wed 21-Aug-13 11:59:45

If you look at NHS choices and search for statins, you will find lots of information about CoQ10. The original licence for statins was given on the assumption that CoQ10 was added, as statins were known then to affect CoQ10.
I presume NHS Choices site can be trusted.
I would not have known what my cholesterol level was, either, until I had an aortic dissection in March. Actually, that's not true. I had my cholesterol level checked when the tests first came out over 20 years ago. That was 4 as well. It was checked at an exhibition for health foods in Harrogate. All the vegetarians had low cholesterol levels.

JessM Wed 21-Aug-13 12:58:32

NHS Choices is a much better source of info than US sites selling supplements.

Jendurham Wed 21-Aug-13 13:17:53

Except, of course, that the NHS is being privatised. It is impossible to find out who put what information on an NHS site because of commercial confidentiality of any private health company.

JessM Wed 21-Aug-13 19:35:56

Steady on jen just because bits of it might be hived off to private companies does not mean that we should mistrust NHS info.

Poppikok Wed 21-Aug-13 20:24:28

Like JessM,I too was sceptical about such sites,but having read the article and being soooo tired with the aches and pains I decided to take the plunge.
My GP agreed and put me on a three month trial period with CoQ10.
It took about a fortnight for them to "kick-in"and I have done nothing but improve since.
Little tasks that used to be real chores,I now do without a second thought.I used to drag my feet literally,but no longer.
From my own experience I would advise fellow GNetters to take the plunge and at least see your GP about this supplement.
It wont do you any harm to try!
Sorry to drone on a bit.Cheers brew

LizG Wed 21-Aug-13 21:27:09

Don't worry everyone, I did do a double check but your info sent me in the right direction Poppikok. I had heard about CoQ10 before but not paid it much attention; not actually taking statins at the time. So much of what you said rang some massive great bells so I am giving it a try

Jendurham Wed 21-Aug-13 23:19:12

JessM, I know from both my husband's and my brushes with statins that NHS information has changed in two years, and over the time that the new contract became law.
My husband was told he ought to take it when his cholesterol was 4. I was given it when my cholesterol was 4. The difference is that I have an aortic dissection, my husband was diabetic. My husband refused to take it because he knew of the side effects from his brother taking it.
The same GP told both of us different things. I was told I didn't need to take anything if I don't want to, having been given ten extra tablets a day when I was on the HDU.
What's the difference as far as my GP is concerned?
He is on the board of the CCG.
I have actually not had any CoQ10 for a week, and I feel drained, so why is CoQ10 not an ingredient of every statins, as it was meant to be?
I will get some more CoQ10 delivered tomorrow, and will feel better in a couple of weeks. I am falling asleep all the time now, and the only difference in the last week is the CoQ10. By the way, I did it on purpose just to find out, before this thread started.
I have a copy of a letter from the hospital asking my GP to keep a close check on my blood-pressure. This letter was written on 1st July. Haven't heard from my GP. Information on blood-pressure checks has changed just recently. The NHS has changed so many goalposts recently that you do not know what to believe.

Poppikok Thu 22-Aug-13 10:36:27

It seems Jenthat you already know of the benefits of CoQ10 and I wish both you and LizGthe very best of luck.
Don't forget it takes about a fortnight before any benefits are noticed.