Gransnet forums

AIBU

In looking forward to the end of the French holidays?

(37 Posts)
Greatnan Sat 17-Aug-13 13:56:38

There are only about a dozen permanent residents in the four blocks of flats- 24 flats in each block. The other flats are either holiday homes or commercial lettings. I rarely see anybody and it is very quiet. I miss much of the ski-season period because I am in New Zealand, but in August the summer visitors come. There is a yapping dog in the flat below, and my parking place right outside the rear entrance is often taken. I know how the residents of Cornwall or the Lake District feel - go home, visitors! And on the mountain roads, we have the dreaded yellow (Netherlands) and red (Belgium) number plates. The drivers will hug every bend and slow down to about 10 kph if there is a sheer drop on their side even if they are on a perfectly safe two lane highway. Then there are the caravans.....................
Write out 100 times - 'I must be more tolerant'..............

laidback Sun 18-Aug-13 15:18:42

I admire your gumption and determination greatnan. Seems you have always set your own path from what I have read. I believe NZ might just be vast enough to keep you busy when you eventually move! My next big project is to convince the SO that moving out of London will be life enhancing, we're too young to retire but I would'nt mind less money and more life.smile

Greatnan Sun 18-Aug-13 16:29:22

I love the word 'gumption', laidback. It was used a lot by my Salfordian dad! I enjoyed my road trip to Doubtful Sound on my last visit to NZ. In December, I am taking a week to tour North Island before I join my family on South Island. Much of it is more remote than the Alps - no roads and tiny scattered hamlets. I am looking forward to visiting Cambodia, China and Japan once I am a permanent resident. My other daughter lived in Malaysia for three years and I visited her several times. I know I can find good coral around the islands, such as Redang and Tioman.
I know that many people don't enjoy travel but I would like another whole lifetime to visit all the countries on my 'must see' list. I have done quite well in the last couple of years - England, Scotland, France, Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Luxembourg, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand and Egypt.

Granny23 Sun 18-Aug-13 18:40:49

In my part of the world many good things would not be viable without the input of visitors. Highland Games, Galas, festivals, castles, gardens, cafes, restaurants, cinemas and theatres rely on tourists to swell the numbers and therefore the takings, which ensures that we can enjoy them too.

Nonu Sun 18-Aug-13 18:45:04

Tourists are a lifeline to many beauty spots , GRanny

Ariadne Sun 18-Aug-13 19:05:22

Tourists are very important, I agree. I am already learning to adapt, and not try to go to the supermarket at the weekend. Or to the beach until the evening. Not a problem - I now have all this all they year round!

felice Wed 04-Sep-13 22:19:47

I just wish the Belgians were still on holiday, it was great here for 2 months, the Turkish and Morrocan residents were all away and the Belgians were all in France, Spain or Portugal (I lived there before here). lots of parking and if you avoided the city centre it was very quiet and peaceful, you can have them back anytime x oh and I like the Belgians but it is nice to almost get the place to yourself during July/August.

Greatnan Thu 05-Sep-13 06:43:20

I am on yet another holiday this week, staying with a good friend in the Charente, which is the next department to the Dordogne. Most of the summer visitors had left my village last weekend, and I did feel a trifle sad to see the empty bar/restaurant - it was full of people talking and laughing the week before. Still, they will be back in December for the skiing.
After I leave here tomorrow, I am going to visit another friend near Tulle before map-reading my way back to the Alps. It has been very, very hot all week - I had to close the car windows yesterday because the 'breeze' coming in was so hot!

LizG Thu 05-Sep-13 07:09:16

My BiL has recently married a lovely French lady and they live in Paris. Throughout August they have travelled extensively to get away from the holiday makers. Thinking about it perhaps we could borrow their apartment next year; I don't mind being a 'Grockle'

kittylester Thu 05-Sep-13 07:40:51

We have the opposite 'problem' as the population of our town seems to double during the university terms. Lots of people moan about having a town full of lively young people and disregard the benefits that they bring. I love having lots of lively people about. smile

Stansgran Thu 05-Sep-13 15:08:19

I love it when the students return. The average age of the population halves and the place hums. Even tesco cheers up. They tend to be a bit okay yahish at first but then calm down.

petra Thu 05-Sep-13 18:38:10

I have to speak up on behalf of the Caravan/ Motohome fraternity. You can pay at least £30 a night to put your Caravan/Motohome on a site. In some of them they will add about £2.50 per person on top.
To add insult to injury some sites are so crowded you can shake hands ( without stepping outside) with the people next door. And if you want electricity, that's on top of price.