Gransnet forums

AIBU

In looking forward to the end of the French holidays?

(36 Posts)
Divawithattitude Sat 17-Aug-13 17:33:22

I feel your pain Greatnan, we are in Cornwall and for most of the year it is glorious, but July and August are a nightmare, the price we have to pay I suppose!!

Greatnan Sat 17-Aug-13 17:10:43

Oh, for goodness sake - couldn't anybody tell my post was tongue-in-cheek? Of course I am glad for the local tourist industry, but as my income comes from my UK pensions I don't stand to gain anything from the visitors. Except the dog dirt in the car park and on the landing.
I am not sure why I should be grateful for living in a beautiful place -nobody gave me my flat!

nanaej Sat 17-Aug-13 16:46:26

I agree with all Bluebell says but....
when I lived in Wimbledon I used to get really annoyed during tennis fortnight!

Whilst my head could tell me it was good for local business/economy etc my heart kept saying 'I want my town back' ..and that was just a 2 week invasion!

vegasmags Sat 17-Aug-13 16:46:09

When my DD was a student at King's College Cambridge, she and her fellow students sometimes felt they were living in a theme park. This didn't stop them from posing for photos with foreign tourists - for a fee, of course wink

bluebell Sat 17-Aug-13 15:49:12

No one has a right to absolute peace and quiet - if you live in a lovey area that people want to visit, you should be grateful. People from lovely areas expect other people to live near busy roads, train stations, supermarkets , factories, hospitals so that all their ( people in lovely areas that is) needs can be met when necessary.

Stansgran Sat 17-Aug-13 15:39:32

I live in a tourist town and we have park and ride and a reasonable number of parking spaces. If every tourist spent as much in Durham as I've just done in the Lakes then the economy here should be booming. We had pub lunches between walks at about £50 a time and fed ourselves each evening at about £30 a time in local shops. We were on holiday so not stinting. Accommodation for two adults and two GCs was £1500 and I haven't included petrol. We also bought walking shoes for the GCs so we helped the economy of the Lakes. We did some house visiting but we kept to NT properties as we are members and paid for local pony trekking and health club pool. The Lakes locals did well out of us and if they don't like the tourists then how blinkered they are. We talked to a dry stone Waller who was happily moving a gate as the number of cars in the Three Shires pub meant the farmer couldn't get the tractor through the existing gate. But all happy to do it. I hate the expression but they all knew which side their bread is buttered on.

tanith Sat 17-Aug-13 15:27:06

No one said they didn't merlotgran but it doesn't mean everyone has to enjoy having their peace and quiet disturbed.

merlotgran Sat 17-Aug-13 15:22:00

Tourists don't contribute to the local economy then?

bluebell Sat 17-Aug-13 15:00:12

Oh meanies........

tanith Sat 17-Aug-13 14:29:04

Can't say I blame you in the circumstances, my sister lives near a small coastal town in West Wales and once the Summer comes she hardly goes into the village , you can't park or walk without bumping into people and the shops are all overcrowded, she loves it when Autumn comes and things return to normal and she can walk the beaches alone again.

Greatnan Sat 17-Aug-13 13:56:38

There are only about a dozen permanent residents in the four blocks of flats- 24 flats in each block. The other flats are either holiday homes or commercial lettings. I rarely see anybody and it is very quiet. I miss much of the ski-season period because I am in New Zealand, but in August the summer visitors come. There is a yapping dog in the flat below, and my parking place right outside the rear entrance is often taken. I know how the residents of Cornwall or the Lake District feel - go home, visitors! And on the mountain roads, we have the dreaded yellow (Netherlands) and red (Belgium) number plates. The drivers will hug every bend and slow down to about 10 kph if there is a sheer drop on their side even if they are on a perfectly safe two lane highway. Then there are the caravans.....................
Write out 100 times - 'I must be more tolerant'..............