Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think Deborah Meaden on Strictly is an insult to women in business

(69 Posts)
JessM Sun 08-Sep-13 09:13:40

I can only think of 4 women on TV who are presented as businesswomen.
The two on The Apprentice (we love Margaret don't we because she is real) , Mary Portas (got to admire her) and Deborah Meaden of Dragons Den, and now, of Strictly Come Dancing.
She is presented as a successful business woman - bit of a guru. She is obviously keen to turn herself into a kind of stereotype (I boss the dragons around etc). She presumably is pretty wealthy. But if she is so successful and is committed to mentoring all those little den survivors how on earth has she got time to be on Strictly? (they must sign up to make themselves available for the duration)
And is she really a wannabe TV presenter and not, actually a businesswoman at all?
Am I being unreasonable to think she is letting down the millions of women who work in the business world in this country, and doing so in spectacular fashion?

thatbags Mon 09-Sep-13 11:00:47

There's nothing fluffy about dancing. Anyone who has ever done any serious dancing will know that it is athletic. Fluffy indeed!

thatbags Mon 09-Sep-13 11:01:06

Humph! angry

Ana Mon 09-Sep-13 11:31:52

To become an even moderately proficient ballroom dancer takes a great deal of hard work.

I think we should wait and see how DM approaches the task in hand and give her the benefit of the doubt - I don't think she'll come across as a fluffy little lady!

Eloethan Mon 09-Sep-13 11:34:46

thatbags Of course, you're right. The fact that the contestants lose so much weight - and risk injury - shows that dancing to this level is physically and mentally demanding.

I suppose I was referring to the razzamataz and "glamorous" image that belies the hard work that goes into it. And they very much play up the male/female partnerships, romantic interests, etc.

gracesmum Mon 09-Sep-13 12:09:46

I think Deborah Meaden represents a scary, ball breaking type of businesswoman - the sort who is emulated on porgrammes like The Apprentice. Today in the Teegraph TV review they decribed the contrast of her bouffant hair do with almost simultansously "eviscerating" a candidate on Dragons Den. Come on, it's a stereotype a manufactured image, surely. There are other successful women in business , commerce or politics who are not fearsome and ruthless.OK I take back "ruthless" but not in a hectoring way. Mary Berry is a multi millionaire from her cookery books, Karen Brady from The Apprentice, Hillary Clinton, Alex Polizzi, Margaret (whatever her surname is) also formerly of The Apprentice, Christine Lagarde - Head of the IMF and many many others who have high powered jobs, professional integrity but don't need to "eviscerate" half a dozen men for breakfast to start the day!

j08 Mon 09-Sep-13 12:52:04

What's her hair-do got to do with anything? confused What are they comparing that with? I don't understand.

j08 Mon 09-Sep-13 12:55:22

Just looked up "eviscerate". Means "to disembowel". Can't you do that with a bouffant hair-do?

Ana Mon 09-Sep-13 13:07:21

No! You have to look like Rosa Klebb!

j08 Mon 09-Sep-13 13:09:49

Just looked her up. Aaaaghhh! grin

JessM Mon 09-Sep-13 17:38:38

I think I have only met one woman manager in business that was remotely "ball breaking" and she was an alaskan, working in the oil industry on the production side. It is not a normal or acceptable management style in most workplaces, from men or women.

Deedaa Mon 09-Sep-13 22:02:50

To be honest JessM I have worked for one or two really unpleasant women. Mainly ones who would pick one or two favourites and then go out of their way to denigrate everyone eIse's work. On the plus side I've also worked for a couple of super ones and I've worked for some pretty awful men as well.

Nonu Mon 09-Sep-13 22:09:18

Excellent post deeda !!

JessM Mon 09-Sep-13 22:16:48

Interesting response nonu would you like to elaborate?
I expect you agree with me then deeda that the overly dominant female manager is not a stereotype you would wish to the media to encourage?

Nonu Mon 09-Sep-13 22:38:39

Jess , so glad you found my response interesting , I aim to please [sometimes] . No I don"t care to elaborate !

grin

Eloethan Mon 09-Sep-13 23:31:45

I have often heard women say they would never work for another woman. I don't understand this. I have worked for some very nice women and some not so nice ones - but the same applies to men.

My most recent woman boss - a very successful head of department in a niche West End solicitors -could be a little thoughtless at times but never expected me to make a drink unless I was making one for myself and on occasions made me a drink if I was really busy. She appreciated, and acted upon, any suggestions I made and encouraged me to take on more responsibility.

Conversely, when I went part-time and took a less demanding role in another department, the young male paralegal that I then worked for would expect drinks to be made for him on a regular basis and would demand that I did so, even when he knew I was extremely busy.

My feeling is that people who are good at what they do and are confident of their own abilities - whether they be male or female- do not feel they have to throw their weight around and are more likely to be nice to work for.

gracesmum Tue 10-Sep-13 10:00:05

I think many of us will have shared Deeda's experience of working with and for women, but I am afraid I have seen the same sort of behaviour in men - as Eloethan says. Good managers/bosses are precisely that , whether men or women, but for women to think that aping the worst characteristics of men will somehow make them equal or better is daft. A good leader is not afraid to surround him or herself with a strong team, a weak leader or manager does the opposite so that they can at least appear "better" than their subordinates.
Just a thought as I sit here with my bowl of Rice Crispies smile

HildaW Tue 10-Sep-13 15:56:35

Oh yes, bullies come in all shapes and sizes! I do so agree with you gracesmum, women should not feel they have to imitate men to succeed, that's why I find all this fuss about Deborah so annoying. She is a successful woman that fancies a new challenge that will include some sequins, a few fancy frocks, the chance to learn to dance and a bit of extra TV exposure....so jolly what? Good for her I'd say and if (not that I'm vaguely famous for anything) I was offered the same chance I'd give it a go.

Deedaa Tue 10-Sep-13 16:19:28

I suppose the answer is that some people are really good at working with and inspiring others and some are not. Whether they are male or female makes no difference to whether they can do the job.
Having met Stuart Rose when I worked for M&S I'd love to see him on strictly. I suspect he would rather enjoy the sequins.