Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is LIving Longer a Good Thing?

(48 Posts)
juneh Wed 18-Sep-13 09:21:34

local.gransnet.com/forums/local_conwy/1200865-Is-Living-Longer-a-Good-Thing
Follow the link to Gransnet Conwy for a discussion.

annsixty Sun 05-Jan-14 20:41:10

I would not have made the same decision riodaze I believe that anything that would improve your quality of life must be tried. Do you speak to family on the phone? Surely that will be easier and might your life not be better with easier communication with others? Having said all that I do respect your right to choose.

grannyactivist Sun 05-Jan-14 20:44:09

My father in law is 79 today and I don't think of him as an 'old' man, just a much loved, very wise and experienced one. I hope that he and my mother in law continue to live long and healthy lives for many more years. However I do know that they have a concern about impending ill health and becoming a 'burden' and that they would rather go before this happens. Pneumonia used to be known as the 'silent friend' of the elderly and took many a one who might otherwise have lingered in poor health; now, with the advent of the vaccine I suspect that many people will live longer in worse health than they used to.

JessM Sun 05-Jan-14 20:45:12

Genes play a part in health but they don't account for increased longevity - why would they - they are the deck of cards that our ancestors dealt us. Nutrition is much less of an issue in longevity than ever improving medical care. My MIL has had her life saved by the NHS on multiple occasions and is kept alive at 81 by her heart medication. Without it she would not be with us. However her quality of life has been not good for 20 years, in terms of pain and disappearing mobility. Her SIL died today in her mid 80s who was lucky enough to be fit and active until a month ago. So living longer is good for some and not, perhaps, so good for others depending on the luck of the draw.

annsixty Sun 05-Jan-14 21:10:22

Yes JessM I agree that we need to be in good health to enjoy longevity. My mother lived to 101 and never spent one night in hospital in her life .Her mental capacity was total until about 10 days before she died when she decided enough was enough and she stopped eating. My Father died from cancer at 49 as you say "the luck of the draw".

Deedaa Sun 05-Jan-14 21:11:02

My father died at 65 with a whole lot of plans for his retirement that were never to be. My mother in law is now 85 and has been thoroughly miserable for years. It seems so unfair that she has had all these extra years that he missed out on, yet she hasn't enjoyed them at all and didn't expect to.

rosesarered Wed 15-Jan-14 21:31:51

Is living longer a good thing? Well, it is if you consider the alternative!

Gagagran Wed 15-Jan-14 21:53:15

My parents both died aged 93. I have 2 sisters aged 81 and 80 and a brother aged 76. I am 70 and I have a younger brother aged 64. We are all fit and well apart from minor age-related problems - nothing life threatening. We all live active lives in our own homes. Are we just lucky or is it genetic? That must play a part I would have thought.

Ana Wed 15-Jan-14 21:56:09

It's only a good thing if you're still enjoying it, surely? Otherwise the alternative may seem quite an attractive option. (But of course we're not allowed to actually choose that option!)

Aka Wed 15-Jan-14 21:56:46

Just been watching a horrendous programme on TV showing people, some as young as 27, who are killing themselves through their faulty life style. Good nutrition , inasmuch as we can now all access a healthy diet if we so choose, is not the issue I agree, but poor diet is.

It has been suggested that this generation of children might be the first not to live as long as their parents yet at the same time scientists are predicting an ever increasing number of centenarians. Does that mean we at going to have a split society with healthy folks draining resources by living to 100+ and unhealthy people draining resources by needing complicated medical procedures just to survive.

OMG what a thought. Anyone got the telephone number of EXIT?

JessM Thu 16-Jan-14 08:18:43

In terms of hospital care (which is the really costly drain on the NHS) most people cost most in the last few weeks of their life. We can all think of examples, like my great aunt, who went on into her 90s living alone and eventually had a fall, had 3 weeks in hospital and died. Up til then she hardly had a days illness and certainly did not take any drugs. My grandmother, her sister, died at home after a couple of weeks illness. She had her appendix out but that was the only time she was in hospital. I think she had one repeat prescription. These were women who did not even have the benefit of the NHS for half their lives.

Aka Thu 16-Jan-14 08:43:30

Another costly drain on the NHS is diabetes. This programme revealed that 10% of total NHS spending goes on treating this condition. Considering type 2 is largely preventable something needs doing.

FlicketyB Thu 16-Jan-14 15:21:10

I think genes do play a part in longevity. In the past what killed people was infectious disease. Clean water, an understanding of the transmission of infection and effective treatments did much to increase longevity, it meant far fewer children died before they rerached five and if you remove the deaths of vast numbers of under 5s from the calculations average life expectancy soars.

I come from a family that has been long-lived, over four or five generations, my great great grandfather died in his late 80s despite being an Irish immigrant living most of his life in poverty in Victorian London slums, my great grandmother born and living in similar circumstances lived to 82. My father, one of 11, lived to 92 qnd so far that set of siblings has had 2 nonagerians, another one hitting 90 this year and another two younger ones heading that way. Average age at death has been over 85 and all, bar two, have been mentally and physically fit and healthy until within months of their deaths. Their children now beginning to populate their 70s have a history of good physical and mental health and none are showing any signs of decline into poor health, one died in a road accident, one has had cancer and recovered, but that is all.

gillybob Thu 16-Jan-14 15:34:08

I think living longer is very much a good thing as long as you are of sound mind. My gran is very old, she lives alone though and has carers (and me) popping in and out all of the time. She is not lonely and I consider her to be a very valuable member of our family and indeed society as a whole. She is very wise (quite blunt sometimes) and I still go to her for advice and a cuddle. On the other hand if one is not of sound mind (whatever the age) then I personally wouldn't want to be here at all.

When it comes to a drain on resources. My gran looks at a visit to the doctor or hospital as an "outing" she loves all of the attention she gets and very proudly tells them her age and her dae of birth (1916). She loves it when they gasp "no way". She has a hospital appointment next Friday and another the following Monday so she will be in her element.

Nonu Thu 16-Jan-14 17:46:50

Gilly , [flowers ] for your gran !
Tell her from me she is a " Good Un"

MamaCaz Thu 16-Jan-14 21:00:10

Before Christmas I had a routing appointment with my GP. Somewhere along the line he make a comment about how I could be around for another 30 years (which would take me into my early 80s). Jokingly, I acted shocked and said I had hoped for longer than that. At that point he started telling me that the vast majority of patients he sees in their 90s are in constant pain so in his view, we are lucky if we go before that!!!

Ana Thu 16-Jan-14 21:02:12

Aha! So you're only in your early 50s are you Nonu? wink

Ana Thu 16-Jan-14 21:03:57

Sorry, got that wrong blush, MamaCaz! That'll teach me to skim-read posts...(sorry Nonu as well)

MamaCaz Thu 16-Jan-14 21:16:44

I like the word "only" that you put in front of 50s, Ana grin

tiggypiro Thu 16-Jan-14 22:20:03

My mother says she is 'Just a recycled teenager' and also that 'Growing old is not all it is cracked up to be'. Right on both counts I think !

She will be 101 in July.

Nonu Thu 16-Jan-14 22:29:21

ANA and so you should be !.
grin

susieb755 Thu 16-Jan-14 22:38:31

its better than the alternative

Ana Thu 16-Jan-14 22:41:05

Not always, Susie (as has already been said).