Gransnet forums

AIBU

'Me time'

(85 Posts)
Gally Thu 19-Sep-13 03:52:48

i find this article unbelievable - I am, for once, speechless shockwww.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2424643/I-know-little-girls-young-school-I-need-bit-time-says-SHONA-SIBARY.html

j08 Mon 30-Sep-13 09:14:03

Nothing at all wrong with a four year old sucking a dummy. And certainly nothing wrong with he/she having to wear a nighttime nappy!

I think the woman has the wrong idea about state schools. She says, "I'm a paying customer and can therefore call the shots." Most parents these days realise that we are all paying customers and are entitled to expect a good level of service from schools.

My GS2 (summer born) had to start school at four or lose his place at the chosen school. The school were very understanding of the fact that he got tired and didn't mind at all if he couldn't quite manage to complete the whole week. And he had a whole term of mornings only.

I think we might be worrying about this kid too much. She's most likely right as rain, whilst getting in tune with what life is going to be like in to-day's world! grin

Iam64 Mon 30-Sep-13 08:54:14

more than laziness supernan - much more worrying emotions at play here

supernanny Mon 30-Sep-13 08:39:52

The most worrying part of this article is the fact of a 4 year old child needing to suck a dummy and wear nappies at night! Smacks of laziness on the mother's part.

KatyK Fri 20-Sep-13 18:59:04

Stansgran - and you have just reminded me why I need to stop!

Stansgran Fri 20-Sep-13 17:58:25

KatyK you've just given me four good reasons why I will never need to watch daytime tv

KatyK Fri 20-Sep-13 15:16:30

Personally I would take what this woman says with a pinch of salt. She is another professional 'winder up' if that's an expression. Similar to Samantha Brick, Katie Hopkins and Liz Jones, being paid for being controversial I have seen her on daytime TV in various debates on all manner of subjects.

thatbags Fri 20-Sep-13 09:52:12

Well put, Iam.

Iam64 Fri 20-Sep-13 09:41:25

Classic Daily Wail - female journalist writes overly personal column, in which she exploits her own children's privacy to make money.

If this was an article in the same paper, about a single mother, who is combine shift work as a carer/cleaner with caring for her 4 children, I feel sure it would be much more openly judgemental. As it is, it's purpose is to confirm the Mail's belief system, that women can't combine work and motherhood.

whenim64 Thu 19-Sep-13 22:23:48

Thanks, Ana smile

Tegan Thu 19-Sep-13 22:06:49

Reckon that's what the article set out to do.

Ana Thu 19-Sep-13 21:55:22

I'm so sorry, when - yes I mistakenly attributed the comment about disgust to you, not thatbags.

I think a lot of us are perceiving the article and/or photos differently from each other, and misunderstandings are happening.

thatbags Thu 19-Sep-13 21:41:06

Perhaps I was wrong to perceive such things in some of the comments, but I did. We all know how easy it is to misinterpret the printed word.

thatbags Thu 19-Sep-13 21:40:15

mild, not mile

thatbags Thu 19-Sep-13 21:39:49

It was one of my posts that mentioned disgustingness, when. Rightly or wrongly, I thought I perceived disgust at a four year old (still! shock, horror!) sucking a dummy (one has to admit, there is such a thing as dummy-disgust), and I also perceived disapproval (which could be called a mile kind of disgust) about the night time nappies. It annoyed me.

whenim64 Thu 19-Sep-13 21:31:57

Ana did you mean someone else? I haven't said anything relating to disgust about a child with a dummy? hmm

thatbags Thu 19-Sep-13 21:17:25

The mother is pretty "impressive" too in her way. In the way when has highlighted.

Ana Thu 19-Sep-13 21:16:32

I meant that the DM was going for sympathy for the child from its readers. Perhaps rather at odds with the writer's aim, but there you go...

thatbags Thu 19-Sep-13 21:15:29

I'm not impressed with the cynical choice of photographs either.

Well... Actually, I am. I impressed with the boldness of the overt cynicism of the DM in publishing such articles so as to get more sales. One can be impressed by pure brashness, can't one?

thatbags Thu 19-Sep-13 21:13:40

OK sympathy. Scratch out disgustingness. But why sympathy? Sympathy for being a four year old doing things typical of four year olds like thumb- or dummy-sucking and going to kindergarten (because that's what it is even if it's called school) and sometimes weeing in one's sleep?

It's the mother who's fishing, in a confused way, for sympathy. The child is fine.

Deedaa Thu 19-Sep-13 21:10:28

My son wet the bed until he was well into his teens. He eventually grew out of it, but I don't think I would ever have mentioned it in a national newspaper.

Surely leaving the child in a good nursery for a year would have given the mother some free time and got the child better prepared for school. I remember school came as a terrible shock to me (no preschools in those days) and I became one of the quiet and withdrawn children, barely able to function. Although I eventually got used to it there are still ways in which I feel the effects over 60 years later.

Ana Thu 19-Sep-13 21:09:23

I'm not at all 'disgusted' by the idea of a child of 4 sucking a dummy, when! I'm just not impressed by the cynical choice of photos for the DM article. The photo itself is obviously supposed to invoke sympathy, not disgust - no one on here has expressed such a view, have they?

thatbags Thu 19-Sep-13 21:03:51

Well said, when. But why is anyone ever surprised by such rubbish in the DM?

petallus Thu 19-Sep-13 21:02:47

GN not at it's best when being judgemental.

whenim64 Thu 19-Sep-13 21:01:57

I've been trying to remember where I've seen Shona Sibary. She's the woman that gets wheeled out on daytime tv to give opposing views on Katie Hopkins' barmy pronouncements, the latest of which was that it's ok to miss your child's birthday if you're busy working. Given Ms Sibary's current assertion that she's happy to rush her child into school for some 'me' time, I wonder why she was recently so adamant that her sensitive little chicks need her to be there for them so they can celebrate their special days throughout the year, and why did she accuse Ms Hopkins of making her children feel unimportant because she put work first?

Strikes me that Shona Sibary is just another attention-seeking media bod who will say anything to get herself back on TV for a fat fee, to explain herself. What's the betting she'll be on This Morning any day soon? Waste of space!

petallus Thu 19-Sep-13 21:01:45

Hear! Hear!