Gransnet forums

AIBU

As a Scot, to ask 'What is Englishness?

(64 Posts)
Charleygirl Mon 21-Oct-13 12:27:51

I have spent most of my life in England but I am still Scottish and always will be. I had a Scottish father and an Irish mother.

Tegan Mon 21-Oct-13 12:21:01

I think the English have a greater capacity for self critiscism than any other peoples and an ability to laugh at their shortcomings [again something lacking in many other cultures]. And we're also very brave and very stoic [except when we're moaning about the weather]. And we're very very tolerant. And they are all attributes of which I am very proud. And Bill Bryson likes us so was can't be that bad.

annodomini Mon 21-Oct-13 12:02:38

I feel moved by the White Cliffs too, petra, because as well as being Scots, I am also British - and my sons are English, one with and Irish partner; one of my grannies was English. I haven't lived in Scotland for almost 50 years. Bags says Englishness is a mish-mash. So is Britishness.

petra Mon 21-Oct-13 11:42:27

I like the fact that no matter what country I go to there will be someone who speaks my language.

And it doesn't matter how many times I see The White Cliffs of Dover I feel proud. Can't put it into words.

Ariadne Mon 21-Oct-13 11:40:38

I too think that the English are secure enough not to make a fuss about national identity. I've said elsewhere that the Celtic members of the UK and NI are, to quote James Joyce, a "people enmeshed in their own history" - of which they cannot let go. I freely admit that there have been many, many injustices in the past, but there were nasty things done during the Civil War too. The English have moved on. (Apart from those who feel a need to reenact some of the battles...)

I am married to a Scot, who is proud of being Scottish, and that's fine by me. I love England dearly, but am also British, and equally proud of that. Pity it may not last.

Tegan Mon 21-Oct-13 11:33:12

It's knowing that we'll never win at penalty shoot outs sadsadsad....

AlieOxon Mon 21-Oct-13 11:31:20

Am I English?
Born in Cheshire, but have English, Scottish, Irish and Welsh grandparents. I'm confused!

Nelliemoser Mon 21-Oct-13 11:28:18

It's not being a Scot, Irish or Welsh and proud of it.
Ducks for cover before the Celtic hoards come after me. wink

wisewoman Mon 21-Oct-13 11:25:32

Could it be that for much of my growing up England was equated with Britain. Still throughout the world people say England when they mean Britain. Now that the Irish, Scots and Welsh have devolved assemblies and are becoming more aware of their identities, England is also seeking to have its' own separate identity, quite rightly so. How this is defined, as the author of the article says, can be problematic with such entities as the English Defence League showing the ugly side of Englishness. All countries have right wing groupings and I am sure they are not representative of the countries themselves. So, Englishness will be what the majority of English people want it to be. As I Scot I would be interested to know what English grans think about this.

merlotgran Mon 21-Oct-13 11:21:49

I have a strong sense of national identity and I'm English. I just don't feel the need to bang on about it.

feetlebaum Mon 21-Oct-13 11:16:41

Englishness is not having to have the country's name on the stamps... it's not having to celebrate some foreign 'saint's' day (like St George). It's not having to treat a kick-about in the park as worthy of a heated post-mortem...

thatbags Mon 21-Oct-13 10:59:09

wink

thatbags Mon 21-Oct-13 10:58:58

Englishness is a pretty much global mish-mash. There. Sorted.

annodomini Mon 21-Oct-13 10:01:46

This question is raised in this article. I feel that the Scots, Welsh and Irish have a strong sense of national identity but who are the English?