Gransnet forums

AIBU

To consider not telling the grandparents?

(30 Posts)
BetterNotBitter Tue 12-Nov-13 14:06:58

Hi everyone, I'm imposting on your site again I'm afraid.

As I've said before, I am a mummy not a grandma yet and not for a very long time as our little one is only 2!

As some of you may recall, we have had an awful time with my husbands parents and now don't have any contact with them. I won't bore you with the details, other than to assure you I am not one of the nasty DILs that some of you on here have the misfortune of having and my husband is perfectly lovely also! It was after a long period of trouble that my husband made the call to go no contact, after a month or so I persuaded him to give them another chance hoping they'd change their ways but it didn't happen and my husband decided he'd had enough once and for all and sadly I agreed with him. That was at the beginning of this year.

My husband has no qualms about this and nor do I really, other than to feel wholly saddened by the whole situation, my husband doesn't share this opinion.

I have a few situations I'd love your opinions on.

A) do we send a christmas card? We have no contact at all usually.
B) we are trying for a another baby. If were lucky enough to fall pregnant, do we tell them?

For me, it would feel wrong not to tell them if there were another baby on the way BUT, and it's a big but.... I find conflict with them extremely stressful. After a particularly horrible visit from them a year or so ago, I suffered an early miscarriage which could have been entirely unrelated but I'm very worried that if we tell them, a similar situation could arise again.

Also, we don't want them back in our lives at the moment. So is telling them giving them false hope that we're doing so to make amends? Will it mean we have all the stress and pain of having to cut ties again? If we don't tell them while I'm pregnant, do we tell them once the baby comes? Unfortunately, they won't be welcome to be involved with us in any way, so is it making things harder for them to know?

I really don't know what to do for the best?

Flowerofthewest Sun 17-Nov-13 22:59:18

You can choose you friends but not your family (the old adage) seems very appropriate here. I would not let the woman near my child. I am sorry if this upsets people but what a harridan. Genetic heritage or not she has not right at all to impose her spitefulness and negative ways - especially on a new mum. I am shocked. I have never and would never criticise my children on the way they bring up their children. I adore my grandchildren and would, as someone else said, lay down my life for them but I would not ever criticise unless, of course, the children were in danger, moral or otherwise.

NfkDumpling Mon 18-Nov-13 07:34:27

I had exactly the same problem when I was a young mum with his parents laying down the law very forcibly and trying to take over. We cut the ties with DH's parents when DD1 was about 6months old and had no contact with them despite the birth of DD2 as MiL refused to back down - she could never have been in the wrong. And my husband was just as stubborn. (My mother was in touch with MiL so she knew what was happening.) However after the birth of DS1 I persuaded DH to approach his mother and we established a new and very successful relationship. But it took three years of no contact. Not a good time.

I don't think you should send a Christmas card without your husband's agreement. You must be together on this and your little family comes first. Hopefully some agreement can be achieved after the birth of your new baby.

Good luck.

BetterNotBitter Mon 18-Nov-13 12:06:03

I'm afraid I couldn't agree with you less nanban but you are entitled to your opinion. I won't be following your advice though!

My husband has decided not to send a christmas card, he feels they may see it as an olive branch, which it wouldn't be, so we won't be sending one. He is concerned that they would turn up, which would knowing their characters, would almost certainly result in confrontation and upset. There are hardly any big/special occasions in our lives together that haven't been overshadowed by stress because of my MIL and we are so looking forward to thus christmas we simply don't want to risk it being ruined.

Of course, they may turn up whether we send a card or not, but we can hardly complain about it if we've been seen to open the door with a card.

Also, they may just be trying to get on with their lives and there's a chance that sending a card could be like rubbing salt in the wounds.

Thank you all for your advice as always!

Tegan Mon 18-Nov-13 12:12:04

I can usually see that there's 'another side to the story' in cases like this but, in this instance I can't. She really doesn't deserve you for a DIL sad.