Gransnet forums

AIBU

Professor Susan Greenfield

(35 Posts)
Riverwalk Sat 21-Dec-13 08:49:13

AIBU to be annoyed with Susan Greenfield in this short Guardian article?

Greenfield

Lip fillers, Botox and plastic surgery are her business but does it do any of us any good for her to say:

"I am 63, but I don't think about it. ......
............... I also think working with a group of people in their 20s and early 30s helps. It gives me a younger mentality than if I were working with people my own age."

She's a neuro-scientist. sad

MargaretX Sun 22-Dec-13 10:21:02

I think she does look good for 63. I presume she was always good looking and we had a thread about that .That they often find life easier for being born with good looks. Having tried to read some of her scientific publications, I have to admit that she is very brainy as well.
So, looks, brains and financial success. She has a good reason not to want to lose it just by being old. What the 20/30 year olds actually think about her will remain their secret!

I can't be bothered about whether I look old. I do my hair, wear make up and am still reasonably slim but I rejoice when I see my daughters and enjoy looking at their luxurious hair, bright eyes and slim figures.

Why should we of the older generation be wanting all these youthful things. we had our day and lived it up! At least I did. There must be more to life than how you look.

janeainsworth Sun 22-Dec-13 10:27:19

Margaret why should Susan Greenfield lose her brains and financial success by being old?
There are many women who have remained successful in later life - Mary Warnock, Onora O'Neill and Baroness Trumpington, to name but three.

Soutra Sun 22-Dec-13 10:44:22

Joan Bakewell is another

MargaretX Sun 22-Dec-13 20:04:14

She is the one using botox and lip fillers at 63. doesn't sound too secure to me. Of course she will retain her financial success and brains, but she's the one trying to keep looking young.

She knows a lot about the brain, perhaps she knows something we don't know!

Nonu Sun 22-Dec-13 20:29:14

Quite a nice idea MX, wonder if all will subscribe !!

Kiora Sun 22-Dec-13 20:46:19

I am constantly surprised at how very very silly Clever/ intellectual people can be.

Tegan Sun 22-Dec-13 20:52:42

A prime example being Cherie Blair....I mean, even I've got more sense than she has...

Nonu Sun 22-Dec-13 20:54:05

Tegan , LOL !

MargaretX Mon 23-Dec-13 08:54:40

There is saying in German ' Er hat sich dumm studiert' meaning you can spend too much time studying or hanging over books ( and computers) that you no longer know much about REAL life.
Prof Greenfield had no children and although its good carreerwise life begins to feel empty after 50. I feel sorry for her.

Now I'm off again to the shops before everything closes down in Germany at noon tomorrow. That's the real German Xmas, no shops open.
I'm glad I have my own lips, I wouldn't dare go into town with full kissable bright red lips.