Gransnet forums

AIBU

Dastardly ducknapper!!

(41 Posts)
grannyactivist Tue 31-Dec-13 01:08:30

It's not often that I experience intense anger towards people, but I certainly did today! Long story, so maybe you'd like to grab a cuppa (or something stronger) and settle down to my tale.
My (almost four year old) grandson has raised two pet ducks who live in his garden in Devon and have a rather splendid duck house to which they retire every evening in order to prevent foxes from enjoying them for dinner. The garden (once part of a farm) is large and secure and is bordered by a rather posh modern housing estate. On Christmas day my daughter and her family went out to lunch and returned in the evening to find that the ducks had gone missing - the stormy weather had caused a small 'escape hole' to appear and the ducks had apparently wandered off. Not too alarmed, as they are usually ready to 'roost' at the same time each evening my daughter and her husband searched the nearby estate calling for them; hoping that the 'girls' as they are affectionately known would find their way home (as they did on a previous occasion). Sadly this time the girls didn't reappear and the whole family were distraught and since then have contacted anyone and everyone who might have news, but to no avail.
Today in a last ditch effort to find their pets they systematically began knocking on nearby doors and asking the householders if they had seen the ducks. A close neighbour answered the query with a definite 'No' only to be contradicted by her little boy who had heard the question; he reminded her that they had seen the ducks and as she tried to say again that she hadn't seen or heard the ducks he became insistent (in the sort of puzzled way of small children when they hear a blatant lie think that mummy must have forgotten confused ) that they had seen the ducks - it was obvious that he was contradicting what his mother was saying and that she was trying to silence him when the woman's husband came to the door and admitted reluctantly that his sister, who was visiting for Christmas, had found the ducks wandering and so had taken them home with her - wait for it........to Cambridge!!!! And what's more if they wanted their pets back they'd have to go and get them!
So that's what they've done. This afternoon they drove from Devon to a village in Cambridge to get their son's beloved pets back, at a cost of £80 in fuel and a ten hour return journey! The woman in question was blatantly unashamed that she had effectively stolen someone's family pets and had made no effort to trace their owner or even report them found. (That they were pets, rather than wild ducks was never in question.)
So, I feel quite incensed that
a) she took my grandson's pets in the first place b) when asked if she would drive part way to meet my daughter and return them she refused, and c) that she was quite unrepentant.
The only nice outcome is that I was due to look after my two little grandsons for a few days from this evening, whilst my daughter and her husband have a few days break, and instead I got to have the little one (ten months) for the whole afternoon today as well whilst his parents chased off to Cambridge and big brother was attending his first pantomime. (Looking for the silver cloud smile )

grannyactivist Tue 31-Dec-13 01:12:33

(Looking for the silver lining in the cloud smile ) is obviously what I should have said - only I somehow managed to post the message whilst in the middle of editing it. confused
Well, look at the time, I'm far too tired to be grammatically correct!

Granny23 Tue 31-Dec-13 01:26:22

GA That is absolutely Duck Dasterdly behaviour. I can usually find some mitigating circumstance to explain or excuse such behaviour but that is just badness. Bet they were the worse of drink at the time. shock

Gally Tue 31-Dec-13 01:33:31

I suppose it was lucky they hadn't eaten them shock. I can't understand anyone doing that; the ducks obviously belonged to someone and lived locally, so why on earth would you put them in a car and take them to Cambridge?! Reportable offence methinks.

Tegan Tue 31-Dec-13 01:39:23

Oh I really thought they were going to be eaten. Why would anyone want to kidnap a duck? I want to go and slap these people...

glassortwo Tue 31-Dec-13 05:29:22

I thought they had been lunch shock disgraceful, hope they arrived home no worse for their long trip.

rockgran Tue 31-Dec-13 06:15:01

I'm usually peace loving but some people just need a good smack. angry

Ariadne Tue 31-Dec-13 06:22:00

angry Stupid people!

Kiora Tue 31-Dec-13 07:31:00

The neighbours sound as if they knew who the ducks belonged to so isn't that theft? What type of lesson is that for the neighbours little boy to witness. Words fail me. I'm glad there was a happy silver lining. I hope you enjoyed your cuddles with baby

Iam64 Tue 31-Dec-13 08:08:26

What a story granyactivist, thank goodness for the honesty of small boys. Duckdastardly indeed.

Riverwalk Tue 31-Dec-13 08:15:20

Ducking cheek! shock

MiceElf Tue 31-Dec-13 08:20:49

This is a clear case of theft by finding, and it seems to me that the police should be informed. As the sentimental value was high that is an aggravating factor which makes it more serious.

Lona Tue 31-Dec-13 08:22:15

Maybe local (to both areas) newspapers would be glad of the story, and they could name and shame the wicked people!

Some people seem to have no conscience these days.

Riverwalk Tue 31-Dec-13 08:29:56

The neighbour should be ashamed for lying and also the person who took them to Cambridge and wouldn't even meet half way.

But may I ask a stupid question - how can you tell if a duck is a pet? confused

NfkDumpling Tue 31-Dec-13 08:37:12

I suppose there's a couple of options here. Either make a fuss, report it to the police, tell every mother at the school gates, or tell the local rag about these lovely people who took your ducks in and found them a new home - albeit half way across the country.
Or just ignore it and whenever anything goes missing in the locale say to ask the So And Sos, as they're light fingered.

Zephrine Tue 31-Dec-13 08:40:48

Saw on my FB page yesterday that a pet rabbit and two guinea pigs had been stolen from their garden cage, also in Devon, there really are some ... (bites tongue) not very nice people out there!

annodomini Tue 31-Dec-13 08:44:45

The neighbour was setting her child a shocking example.

Soutra Tue 31-Dec-13 09:10:19

Do some people have no shame? I would publicise it in both areas, local radio and TV too. Yes it is theft. Would they have been so cavalier if it had been a puppy? To inflict that sort of grief especially on a child is despicable. angry

granjura Tue 31-Dec-13 10:08:10

If the ducks looked lost and distressed, and the weather bad- and no-one in the Devon family and circle of friends could adopt them- then I feel it was lovely for that person to take them back to their home, if they knew they could look after them well there. If they truly felt that would save their lives.

However, it was so so WRONG to lie, for so many reasons (including the example to the child)- and the person in CAmbridge should have apologised profusely and done everything possible to meet half-way! Beggars belief- but at least the ducks are safe and back home - so a happy ending.

Anne58 Tue 31-Dec-13 10:18:20

So glad it ended well, but must agree with many of the comments above!

Grannyknot Tue 31-Dec-13 10:18:40

ga how could that woman lie so blatantly! And if the little boy hadn't blown her cover, you would have been none the wiser, and at that point that she knew, she was in effect covering up a theft. And it begs the question, why did she feel the need to conceal that the ducks had been taken? Makes me think they knew they were taking a chance by snatching them. Like you, I'd be hopping mad.

glammanana Tue 31-Dec-13 10:23:29

What rotten neighbours !! surely they would have had some idea that the ducks where from nearby ? and the little boy : how true of the saying "out of the mouthes of babes" I'm so glad your little man is getting his pets back home to roost GA and that he enjoys his panto.

Iam64 Tue 31-Dec-13 10:43:02

granjura, my thoughts are that if these people easily caught the ducks, that should have been some indication they were pets. As for the lying neighbour, that is a shocker

TriciaF Tue 31-Dec-13 11:46:27

From what I know about ducks, they're very messy creatures (lots of poo) so I dread to think what state their car would be in. We used to keep ducks.
Hoping your family get them back though - they're very entertaining as pets too.

granjura Tue 31-Dec-13 12:13:26

Agreed Iam64- but very sadly people abandon pets all the time- ducks included, for so many reasons (as said above they are very messy as adults)- this is why animal refuges are all full to the brim.

So I am prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt about good first intentions.

We lost our beloved Thomas when he was about 1 year old. He had a collar on with our name and address and detail. We searched high and low- asked everyone to keep a look out, put notices everywhere with photos, and how distressed our little girl was, etc, etc. 2 weeks later at a coffee morning, one womand I'd never met said the elderly couple across the road (about 3 streets down from us) had recently got a new young black cat ... I went and knocked at the door- and first of all she totally denied they had a new cat. I politely explained what had happened and gave a description, and told her her neighbour said they had a new cat. She said that yes, actually they did- but it wasn't at all as I described. I asked to look at him and she refused. Then I clocked Thomas's collar on the dresser at the side- I barged in and picked up the collar and asked where he was. She said I could not see it- by then I was not going to take no for an answer- and there he was, lying on the sofa, and very pleased to see me. I picked him up and went. The next day I went to see them and apologised for being brisk- and offered to find them a new kitten asap to help them out. Oh no, she said, we only want a black one with a white patch on the front, and your cat was perfect. I turned round and said that if they were racist, I couldn't help, and banged the door on my way out. Little old people, and butter would not melt. Thomas lived to 19 and was the best cat ever (from a litter of kittens born to ferral cat in the heating ducts of the South Staffs hospital).