Gransnet forums

AIBU

Taste nostalgia. Good or bad thing?

(104 Posts)
papaoscar Sat 04-Jan-14 03:26:58

I've always had a sweet tooth, hence my lack of teeth, but the other day I stumbled upon a bar of Fry's Chocolate Cream which I hadn't seen in the shops for a long time. Oh, the simple pleasure, it actually tasted just like it used to. What a relief as I was beginning to think that my sense of taste had changed forever. Does anybody else feel the same way?

Deedaa Mon 06-Jan-14 22:20:04

papaoscar do you remember the competitions they used to have to see how long you could suck a fruit gum for? I think my record was a pathetic 5 minutes. They're one thing that does still seem to taste good.

papaoscar Wed 08-Jan-14 10:40:16

Deedaa - no, the undoubted pleasures of 'marathon gum-sucking' passed me by, but I well remember the intensity of the appalling bubblegum balloon contests which would leave us covered in sticky goo. The things we did for fun!

It occurs to me that those reading our sweet submissions on this thread might think that as kids all we did was eat sweets. Not guilty, your honours! As I recall it, sweets and sweet things, were rare islands of pleasure in a grey post-war sea of wholesome but, to a child, very unexciting foods. There just wasn't much choice or cash about in those days. I think I got all of 3 old pennies a week for pocket money and that had to stretch out like knicker elastic!

Flowerofthewest Wed 15-Jan-14 09:55:24

I am sure the broken biscuits did not have any calories, that's what I told myself.