Gransnet forums

AIBU

to expect people to show a little concern?

(8 Posts)
MamaCaz Tue 14-Jan-14 15:22:32

I'm glad there are still some nice people around like you, Grannyactivist.

Many years ago, when my other son was about 13, he was cycling off to the newsagents one Sunday morning to collect the papers for his paper round. Because of ice, he skidded off on a corner and was quite badly (but not seriously) hurt. Even then, the first car that came along that country lane didn't stop to help, even though it must have been obvious that he was injured. Fortunately, an elderly lady (well, I thought she was at the time!!!) driving by shortly after that did stop and drove him home.

Apart from the driver who didn't stop, there was another person whose behaviour disappointed us that day: when we phoned the newsagent to tell him what had happened, all he was bothered about was how he was going to get his papers delivered that day. No concern at all for our son's wellbeing. He was a nice man - not!

Ana Tue 14-Jan-14 14:14:45

shock

Aka Tue 14-Jan-14 13:43:53

There will always be people like that. A few years ago I was knocked off my bike by car turning left in front of me very suddenly into her drive. She didn't even see me until I dragged myself out of the gutter and yelled at her. Then she said she must have missed seeing me because I was going too fast hmm

Some people should be drowned at birth.

grannyactivist Tue 14-Jan-14 13:06:46

Two years ago our son came cropper and hurtled off his bike on a little frequented back road. Fortunately the owner of the only nearby house drove along seconds afterwards and was a real Good Samaritan. He dressed the (really deep) grazes and put bike and son into his car and drove them home. I 'paid it forward' last year when a boy fell off his bike after narrowly avoiding being hit by a bus, though in that case I took him to hospital as he had a bad gash on his leg.
Some people are thoughtless and others are selfish, but there are still many kind people out there MamaC, glad your son wasn't badly hurt though.

LizG Tue 14-Jan-14 12:29:36

Walking the dog this morning was quite a nightmare; slipping everywhere.

No, you are not being unreasonable. I hope the driver of that car had a major emergency of his own to attend. I have only seen one such cycle accident myself - i was with my daughter and we bundled the young man's bike in her boot and took him home. It wasn't difficult but neither of us could have ignored him.

Is your son feeling okay now?

MamaCaz Tue 14-Jan-14 11:32:09

The trouble with ice is that it is patchy and largely invisible - by the time he realized just how bad the roads were, I think he was miles from the ones that he knew to be ok. He did try pushing the bike at that stage but he found it even harder to stay upright on foot than he did riding. Cycling shoes are definitely not made for walking on slippery surfaces.

He was rather slow though - he admitted afterwards that when he left the house and saw that his car windscreen was icy he should have twigged that cycling conditions might be unsafe!
Hopefully he has learned a lesson.

Ana Tue 14-Jan-14 11:04:12

Yes, I do think the driver showed a callous and selfish attitude.

I have to wonder why your son didn't just push his bike to the nearest safe road instead of continuing to try and ride it on the icy part, though.

MamaCaz Tue 14-Jan-14 11:00:05

One of my sons went for a bike ride before work this morning, not realizing that he had strayed onto icy, un-salted roads until it was too late. He had several falls before he could get back onto safe roads. On one stretch there was a car behind him when he fell off. The driver simply shot past without bothering to check if he was ok. While that didn't surprise me (something similar once happened to my other son when he was only about 13, and was quite badly hurt), is it just me that thinks that it is an unacceptable thing to do, to not even check if the person is injured?