Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be angry with snowdrop picker?

(22 Posts)
Deedaa Mon 10-Feb-14 22:17:47

When I was a small child we lived near Heathrow (or London Airport as it was then) There was a lot of farmland and woodland around and I can remember my mother being furious about the people who came cycling past in the spring with their bikes weighed down with great bundles of bluebells which were already drooping before they ever got them home.

YaYaJen Mon 10-Feb-14 14:22:32

Justified anger, I spend winter longing for spring bulbs to show so terrible to see some selfish person pick them or trample them..

petallus Mon 10-Feb-14 14:00:53

I know there is a law against taking bluebell bulbs from woodland areas.

In recent years people have taken huge numbers in order to sell them at home and abroad.

Not sure about snowdrops but imagine the same kind of thing could apply.

Agus Mon 10-Feb-14 12:39:07

I remember taking a. Bunch of wild garlic flowers home for my Mother when I was a child!......She was delighted...not!

rosesarered Mon 10-Feb-14 12:33:57

There are 2 different 'plantings' wild and municipal, not sure about the rules, but I know that years ago when we lived in Cornwall a local man was arrested for picking daffs from the roadside near Saltash. At least picking them is better than uprooting them, as they will regrow next year, but yes, it is selfish.When I was a child we used to go to bluebell woods and pick armfulls [they don't last!] Don't know if it was the done thing or not, but most people used to do it back then.

grannyactivist Mon 10-Feb-14 12:29:58

Well done granjura - I would have been clapping too.
When the daffodils were planted here all the schools, youth groups, uniformed organisations, churches, clubs and societies took part in the planting and so feel some 'ownership' of the display - and heaven help anyone spotted damaging them. The only time there has ever been a problem is when an occasional drunkard leaves the (only) nightclub and uproots or vandalises planters in the town. angry

Aka Mon 10-Feb-14 12:23:55

Code of Conducf

Agus Mon 10-Feb-14 11:41:26

At a spring fair In our local park last spring I saw a woman with an armful of daffodils. I approached her and asked where the 'florist stall' was as I would like to buy some daffodils too! She replied, "Oh, I didn't buy them", I responded with well, let's hope everyone here doesn't strip the park of this beautiful display!

I have also seen Fathers with their children picking bunches of daffodils from grass verges Mother's Day. I batter my car horn at them angry

granjura Mon 10-Feb-14 11:13:47

At least they picked them, and not worse. But I would have 'tackled' them.

On a walk around Rutland Water a few years back- I was admiring banks full of snowdrops- arriving by the car park, there was an elderly couple, butter wouldn't melt... who were digging dozens up, all organised with a box and trowel each. I politely told them to stop, as it is a nature reserve and the plants are there for all to enjoy and to multiply. They told me to mind my own business, and what was it to me anyhow. I told them again, quietly and politely to stop and they did not. I therefore phoned the ranger with my mobile who arrived minutes later- with other people clapping. They had to plant them all back- and he warned them it would be a heavy fine next time. Grrr. some people.

In our old village in East Leics, we had 1000s of daffodils on the verges, and it was awful to see many of them just snapped or trampled by some kids on way from school (:

whenim64 Mon 10-Feb-14 10:43:01

Not a very bright idea to pick snowdrops - they're tiny, so easy enough to plant them and enjoy seeing them last for a few weeks. What a selfish act!

grannyactivist Mon 10-Feb-14 10:42:40

I live in a town where local groups have planted (literally) millions of daffodils in and around the town and I have never seen anyone pick a single flower. I would be really, really cross if I did see this behaviour.

Flowerofthewest Mon 10-Feb-14 10:40:08

Walking across Kenfig Dunes many years ago, accompanied by the warden who was instructing me on the formation and importance of the dunes for my Conservations Diploma we came across a woman and child carrying armfuls of rare orchids. She came up to us to ask the warden what they were!!!! I will not print his response. There were notices all around the centre explaining why these should not be picked.

margaretm74 Mon 10-Feb-14 10:37:16

I don't think it is illegal unless they are a protected species, but there is a Code of Conduct(the wildflower society if anyone is better at linking than me)

People's behaviour is becoming more and more outrageous!

sunseeker Mon 10-Feb-14 09:57:57

It really is a selfish act. These people deprive others of the joy of seeing wild flowers just for a day or two of having them on display in their own homes. I love to see a swathe of snowdrops or bluebells, always raises my spirits.

Some years ago we were on holiday in Fiji and saw someone breaking off living coral to take home as a keepsake - we did remonstrate with them as there was plenty of dead coral on the beach. Their response was that they had paid so much for the holiday that they were entitled to take away whatever they wanted. I did quote them that wonderful saying "leave only footprints and take only memories" - went right over their heads!

kittylester Mon 10-Feb-14 09:52:58

That's disgraceful angry

I think I'd have gone roaring out in my pjs, dressing gown and slippers with my hair still in its 'undone' state - at least that would have frightened her to death. grin

I feel like that about people who drop litter too. angry

dorsetpennt Mon 10-Feb-14 09:46:55

I remember driving through Dartmoor one summer. We saw a woman with an armful of heather standing in front of a large sign saying 'Do Not Pick Heather'. My uncle stopped the car and pointed this out to the woman by saying 'Does this sign not include you? She told us to mind our own business or words to that effect. Another time a friend told us , with great glee, that her sons' always helped themselves to the many daffodils that are on the roundabouts and verges in our town. Again they feel entitled to do so.

janerowena Mon 10-Feb-14 09:46:30

I would love to know what she intends to do with them. They don't last long once picked.

Anniebach Mon 10-Feb-14 09:41:48

Not at all unreasonable Mishap, I feel anger towards the woman

Aka Mon 10-Feb-14 09:39:50

I think the law is about uprooting wild flowers, but I may have that wrong.

HildaW Mon 10-Feb-14 09:36:26

Totally agree with you Mishap, and somewhere in the back of my mind I think there are some laws about picking wild flowers now.

Aka Mon 10-Feb-14 09:33:59

I have a lovely patch of daffodils on the green outside our house. I guard them against people like this by rapping in the window and gesticulating wildly. They usually run away in terror leave promptly.

Mishap Mon 10-Feb-14 09:31:08

Out of our bedroom window we have just watched a woman stop her car, get out and spend 5 minutes picking swathes of snowdrops from the wonderful display along the verge. If I had not been in my pyjamas, I would have gone down there and given her hell!

They are a great joy to villagers and to walkers and herald the possibility of spring one day arriving. Some people are so selfish.