Gransnet forums

AIBU

To wish that posters would read what others have said

(88 Posts)
Elegran Wed 12-Feb-14 22:47:02

Why is it that so many people reply without paying any attention whatsoever to what they are replying to, or what others have posted previously on the thread? I don't mean when the thread wanders off topic, I mean when they are joining an on-going discussion.

I have even read posts which say "I have not read the rest of this conversation but my opinion is . . ." before jumping in with a statement which shows clearly that they have missed a lot of factual information and well-thought-out explanation and are talking a load of hot air from a position of complete ignorance.

thatbags Fri 14-Feb-14 10:42:32

The recent giraffe thread was a typical example of where the discussion repeated itself several times. I think I noticed at least three repetitions of the salient points on both sides of the discussion. This doesn't bother me in the least though I can understand that some people find it irritating.

Elegran Fri 14-Feb-14 10:50:26

That's how it often goes, Bags - round and round the mulberry bush, getting nowhere.

At least that thread did not descend into abuse back and forth for holding different views, as so many did.

Soutra Fri 14-Feb-14 13:26:17

And do ... * Elegran*!!

MamaCaz Sat 15-Feb-14 20:07:52

Several times i have thought that i have read all the posts before i say anything, then realise when my post appears that there were several more pages that i somehow missed.
Other times my skim reading of existing replies on long threds lets me down and someone's comment draws my attention to the fact that i must have missed something.
Then there's the fact that it often takes me so long to type my post that a load more people whose responses i haven't seen have posted by the time i press enter! (embarassed and apologetic emoticon)

margaretm74 Sat 15-Feb-14 20:26:58

Never apologise, never explain. Didn't the Duchess of Windsor say that? She also said you can never be too thin!

If you have repeated something that someone else has said then readers can skip that. Or the original poster can say "yes I said that on whenever, glad you agree!"

I am beginning to realise that I cannot be perfect but who can? And at my age I refuse to be treated like a naughty schoolgirl. I have spent too many years apologising just for being me.
By the time I type and post this someone may have said it already. If you have - I agree.

yogagran Sat 15-Feb-14 20:39:40

Nicely put Margaret grin

margaretm74 Sat 15-Feb-14 20:43:48

smile

petra Sun 16-Feb-14 12:08:46

Well said,margaret. It took me back to my schooldays. It was the 'paying attention' bit.
I can still hear several teachers screaming, Geraldine La Roche, are you paying attention.

margaretm74 Sun 16-Feb-14 12:17:09

On each one of my school reports, plus 'must try harder'.

Daydreaming rather than anything else

annodomini Sun 16-Feb-14 13:14:29

I was about to make a comment on a thread a few weeks ago when I thought it sounded familiar. It was indeed. I'd already made that comment on the same - now resurrected - thread, about two years previously.

kittylester Sun 16-Feb-14 13:16:44

It freaks me out a bit when that happens Anno. shock

margaretm74 Sun 16-Feb-14 13:28:34

You were just reinforcing your point in case no-one was listening first time around

I have an unfortunate habit of repeating myself but I blame DH because he never appears to be listening and doesn't acknowledge what I say.