Gransnet forums

AIBU

Competitions

(47 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Soutra Sat 15-Feb-14 15:04:38

.....to wonder?
The competition to win a Forest Holiday has a very tempting prize. We went on a Forest Holiday with DD, SIL and DGSs last summer and it was very upmarket with superbly furnished and equipped cabins a peaceful setting and the antithesis of the "hearty sporty holiday camp" I had been dreading! grin.
So should I be suprised when reading entries on the thread to find that out of 57 posts , half are from what I would consider regular contributors or at least members in "blue" with a profile page, and half from names I have never seen before.
Would it be churlish to discern an ulterior motive? hmm hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 16-Feb-14 13:42:07

I think it would be better if none of the competitions on Gransnet had a prize worth more than £100. Brings out greed in people otherwise. hmm

carol810 Sun 16-Feb-14 14:27:15

I have to be honest and say I do come on here quite a bit but never really put anything on the forums. I am a bit of a lurker and love to read them. I have commented from time to time but not very often. Sorry if that makes me 'one of them'. I really do enjoy the site though.

Aka Sun 16-Feb-14 14:29:16

Welcome matson and cressida. You may have posted before but if I've just not noticed, sorry.

There are threads which are completely judgement-free zones smile

Aka Sun 16-Feb-14 14:29:57

Oh and carol810 (crossed posts)

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 16-Feb-14 15:11:18

There is no "them". Nothing at all wrong with being a lurker. (Sorry for the word. I didn't invent it)

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 16-Feb-14 15:13:01

I have definitely noticed matson posting. And I'm pretty sure I remember Cressida too.

Charleygirl Sun 16-Feb-14 15:13:07

Yes, I have moved permanently into soop's kitchen. I do not need to wear a hard hat in there and I can relax. I will keep all of my views to myself.

Marelli Sun 16-Feb-14 15:27:53

I have a good friend who logs on to GN most days, but hasn't posted since the early days, because she's really quite shy. Why on earth does it matter whether names of competition winners are recognised by regular posters or not? hmm Surely we're all equal on GN?

Ceesnan Sun 16-Feb-14 15:42:28

So are you saying, Soutra that if you don't post you shouldn't be allowed to enter the competitions? If that's the case then why? If a person has registered with GN then surely they have the same rights as a member who posts regularly? It just seems to me to be rather mean spirited and definitely unwelcoming too sad

Anne58 Sun 16-Feb-14 16:39:51

If you look at the very first "won anything?" thread, I'm on it and still here! (proud emoticon!)

merlotgran Sun 16-Feb-14 17:35:21

Ana's pleas on the competition thread for posters to stick to the two sentence rule reminds me of last years poetry competition where nearly everyone was breaking the rules so GNHQ re-wrote them much to the annoyance of Gally who complained and promptly won the competition!! grin

You're in with a chance, Ana grin

Ana Sun 16-Feb-14 17:49:02

grin Better enter then!

merlotgran Sun 16-Feb-14 18:01:04

Oh. I thought 'That's my last word on the matter' was your entry. grin

Ana Sun 16-Feb-14 18:05:26

If you read further, merlot, you will see that it was not...blush

Ana Sun 16-Feb-14 18:06:54

(my final word, I mean)

Riverwalk Sun 16-Feb-14 19:18:41

It doesn't greatly bother me who wins competitions but I can see where soutra is coming from.

GN is a forum-based site and no doubt receives revenue from adverts and promotions. No-one is going to pay good money to advertise on a non-active site.

There would be no forums if no-one made comments ...... if we all sat on the sidelines waiting to be entertained there would be nothing for lurkers to look at! grin

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 18-Feb-14 10:03:27

Everyone is equal. Everyone is welcome to post a lot, post occasionally or simply lurk as they choose.

And in the case of this particular competition...as per the blurb at the top...everyone who posts on the thread will be entered into a random draw to win an advance copy of the book. The publishers will then choose their favourite comments to use in the book - and everyone who gets picked by them will go into the draw for the holiday.

(And those chosen by them will be selected solely on the basis of what they have posted and not who they are or how often they post.)

Soutra Tue 18-Feb-14 11:45:27

Ceesnan I think you are putting words into my mouth. You knoe perfectly well that wad not what I said.

Anne58 Tue 18-Feb-14 11:51:18

Have you got a cold, Soutra ?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 18-Feb-14 11:57:18

grin

grannyactivist Tue 18-Feb-14 13:32:15

I love to see names that I recognise winning competitions on here simply because they're virtual 'friends', but I have no problem with others winning. I doubt that very many people join GN just to enter competitions, but if they do good luck to them. I've always fancied doing competitions as a lifestyle choice, but haven't the time or patience to do it.