Gransnet forums

AIBU

Being photographed - good or bad?

(20 Posts)
gillybob Mon 17-Feb-14 10:57:20

How can you be the most un-photogenic person in the world henetha when I am? grin

Seriously I hate my photo taken, always have (even as a child). I find it extremely difficult to smile on cue and run a mile when anyone produces a camera. So in answer to the original post, I do not think you were being unreasonable poppydee I would have felt exactly the same.

margaretm74 Mon 17-Feb-14 10:52:11

You can't be henetha, that's my title

henetha Mon 17-Feb-14 10:49:31

As the most un-photogenic person in the world, I strongly object to having my photo taken, with or without my knowledge! So I sympathise, Poppydee.

ginny Mon 17-Feb-14 08:18:16

Not at all unreasonable. I would have done the same.

margaretm74 Sun 16-Feb-14 22:35:50

Aka, yes they usually say 'oh, but it's lovely' when I say Delete it now!

numberplease Sun 16-Feb-14 21:49:22

Back in 1986, at our daughter`s wedding reception, the man doing the video went round the tables filming people eating. We quite enjoyed seeing it, but a few folk did object to being filmed whilst they were eating, and I suppose they did have a point, but it was too late after the event.

Aka Sun 16-Feb-14 21:43:30

Me too M74 but it's worse when they think it's a good one of me....really? So what does a dreadful one look like?

annodomini Sun 16-Feb-14 21:35:20

If it had been a really brilliant photograph, would you have been so indignant, poppydee?

rosesarered Sun 16-Feb-14 20:26:27

Of course, we may all feel differently if we were very attractive and glamorous? As it is, I always come out on photo's looking like a very startled tortoise.grin

margaretm74 Sun 16-Feb-14 20:10:28

I don't look good in photographs and am always horrified when DC or DIL put them on Facebook.

Kiora Sun 16-Feb-14 20:05:23

I think you had every right to be upset. I would have been. They won't do it again.

Iam64 Sun 16-Feb-14 19:54:34

I sympathise with the OP.
It prompted me to reflect on Facebook for example. We're all out there in photographs we'd no idea were being taken. We had a few big family celebrations last year, attended by our adult children, and many of their friends. The young people photographed and videoed happily on their mobile phones. The days have been catalogued so well, and with so much affection that I feel lucky. The other side of course, is the issue of privacy and being asked whether we want to be photographed and then have the photograph displayed, either in the way the OP experienced, or out there in cyber space.

mollie Sun 16-Feb-14 18:36:15

I've always felt our images are our property and no one has the right to photograph us, much less display the result, without permission. Over the years I've discovered I'm in the minority and photographers think the public are fair game. This situation is even more intrusive and I would be very cross!

Mishap Sun 16-Feb-14 18:17:58

...but not a lot for the bald patch!

JessM Sun 16-Feb-14 17:35:01

Absolutely not unreasonable to be pee-ed off. Standing above your subject is a good wheeze when photographing older people - does wonders for the jawline. grin

rosesarered Sun 16-Feb-14 17:23:37

I agree with everyone, now we are older we need a bit of notice if anyone wants a photo!I don't know why anyone would have done what they did to you, could they have forgotten it was there?

rockgran Sun 16-Feb-14 17:15:55

I don't think you're being unreasonable - most people are quite sensitive about having their photo made public. When I am putting together holiday photos which show friends I try to remove any unflattering ones. However, my son put a horrid photo of me and the other grandma on facebook once - studying our ipads in grim concentration. I could see the funny side but wish he had also included a more flattering one to balance it out. He didn't (the swine).angry

kittylester Sun 16-Feb-14 17:12:25

I thought this was going to be about whether we enjoy having our photos taken or even whether they are any good after - the answer to both questions would be no!!

I think you should have been asked and given a chance to look at the photograph first poppy shock

Ana Sun 16-Feb-14 17:11:35

Oh dear, I bet you were popular! It does sound as though you overreacted a bit, although I know what you mean about 'personal space'. I think you should have attempted to laugh it off, then perhaps have had a quiet word with the other member involved asking that it doesn't happen again.

poppydee Sun 16-Feb-14 17:06:38

At our camera group meeting we show and discuss members photos that have been taken during the previous week. I was horrified during the showing of some stunning photos of winter scenes, when up on the screen came a dreadful picture of me taken very close by another member during a previous meeting. I had no knowledge that the photo had been taken or that it would be shown to members that day.
I was not pleased and insisted that the picture was deleted and destroyed. Should I have been shown the photo first and given the opportunity to say no I did not want it shown on the large scene? Am I right to be upset or has all respect for another's personal space been lost?