Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is this justification for Page 3?

(24 Posts)
mollie Thu 13-Mar-14 11:13:58

The Telegraph has written that the campaign against Pg 3 has backfired because it's made the Sun even more determined to keep it going - it's been useful publicity I suppose. That's a shame but not entirely unexpected.

Flowerofthewest Wed 12-Mar-14 23:12:19

A very good friend's husband noticed her lump but didn't say anything for a week or so because he didn't want to 'worry her'. It was only when she noticed it that he said 'Oh yes I did notice but (see above)' She did have a very aggressive breast cancer but luckily it was successfully removed and with chemo she is now 5 years clear.

I would not rely on a man - considering how many of them are reluctant to go to the GP themselves.

penguinpaperback Sun 09-Mar-14 14:55:03

This where The Sun have been quite clever Atqui as you have said,

"I don't like the idea of the sun using it to publicise page 3 but if pictures of gorgeous young bodies saves lives it can't be bad."

Yes some may find page 3 women 'gorgeous' but it's a gorgeous which is very often only achieved with the scalpel and pads of silicone.
The young woman who started the Copafeel charity will no doubt use whatever donation The Sun has made to the charity wisely. But the timing of this Sun "campaign" just at the time when The Sun is under renewed pressure to ditch the outdated Page 3 leaves me cold.

Atqui Sun 09-Mar-14 13:22:12

I used to work with one of the young women who told their story in the sun article. She is the most amazingly brave and positive woman who campaigns tirelessly to raise money for the charity and awareness in young women. She runs marathons despite her health issues, and there is frequently publicity about the coppa feel charity on Facebook. I don't like the idea of the sun using it to publicise page 3 but if pictures of gorgeous young bodies saves lives it can't be bad. Perhaps some Young men will learn more about the disease they perceived to be something that happened to their granny or mother, will be able to persuade their girlfriends/ wives to take it seriously.

petra Sun 09-Mar-14 09:18:13

The young woman who started the charity was on Woman's hour. She told her horrendous story of how she was let down by the NHS. If its good enough for her, it's good enough for me.

janerowena Tue 04-Mar-14 23:11:31

So sorry, penguinpaperback and good luck.

I would like to see a photo of a page 3 girl in her normal pose with the huge headline 'This woman has breast cancer. Those breasts you are gawping at are cancerous. She is someone's daughter/mother/wife/girlfriend'.

penguinpaperback Tue 04-Mar-14 22:03:13

Thank you for the kind words. flowers

absent Tue 04-Mar-14 19:51:34

annodomini It might just as well but can we spared the pictures please.

annodomini Tue 04-Mar-14 19:50:10

Does 'Cop a feel' also cover testicular cancer?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 04-Mar-14 19:40:48

Oh, for goodness sake! Who said anything about relying on husbands?! Just saying, it happens. And any detection of a lump must be a good thing. hmm

rosesarered Tue 04-Mar-14 19:36:05

JessM you have just said what I was going to [all of it.] You weren't on a soap box penguin you are absolutely right, and I hope you will continue to be well.

Ana Tue 04-Mar-14 17:51:20

Exactly what I was thinking about the ages of the women shown, Jess!

JessM Tue 04-Mar-14 17:31:39

If women start relying on their husbands to do their breast checks.... hmm
Apart from the obvious cringeworthy nature of this "campaign", the women in the pictures all appear to be under 40 and bc is pretty rare in under 40s. The older you get, the more likely you are to have it. But they wouldn't want to have a picture of mature women with their tops off, now would they.
Good point about the other agenda penguinpaperback and congratulations about surviving stage 4 for so long. The cure rate is now very good - but what people perhaps don't realise is that it is not a single disease and that there are some very malignant types of BC that are really tough to tackle.

penguinpaperback Tue 04-Mar-14 12:21:19

Trying to see the positives and the campaign is aimed at young women, not my age but I had a look at the pictures too and it's too nudge nudge wink wink for my liking and I think the charity is being used because of the renewed interest in banning page 3. I accept charities have to keep a gentler, happier approach to raising funds but you are on your own when you have stage 4 breast cancer. Women who have had a breast cancer diagnosis can, some but not all, see you as their worst fear and many people now believe breast cancer is completely fixable. I cannot count the number of times someone is reported as having had breast cancer and now they have lung, liver cancer. Many do not realise breast cancer can metastasise throughout the body. I completely understand the fear of some other patients but we are 12,000 in number every year and not many speak up for us.
Off my soap box, it's back in the cupboard under the stairs. grin

janerowena Tue 04-Mar-14 12:04:03

Maybe it will help 'viewers' to see the women as people, not objects. Having looked at the way it has been photographed though, I doubt it.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 04-Mar-14 12:01:38

I guess they have to aim it at what they know their market to be.

Re "cop-a-feel", breast lumps are sometimes discovered by husbands doing just that. So, if it helps to make partners more aware, then that must be good.

penguinpaperback Tue 04-Mar-14 11:49:04

Sorry just wanted to add I know one of the woman behind the charity is also now stage 4 but I still feel the campaign will not add to a be vigilant campaign.
Just my thoughts, opinion.

penguinpaperback Tue 04-Mar-14 11:43:44

It's all a bit too Carry On Matron jokey for my liking. And it comes at a time when there is a renewed interest in banning Page 3. Coincidence or not?
I have been living with stage 4 breast cancer since my 40's. During this time I have made contact with other women, all stage 4, for friendship. Many have died and they often had young children, teenagers. Often they were hoping for treatments to keep them here to see children start school, help teens through exams. I am lucky to still be here and am only here because a couple of common chemotherapies were very effective. I try to see the positives in all campaigns but I can't see this one as helpful. To me it trivialises a cancer which kills 12,000 women and approx 400 men every year.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 04-Mar-14 11:06:57

Should we restricted health campaigns to the likes of Woman and Home and Good Housekeeping then? Is n't it better if the message reaches all?

whenim64 Tue 04-Mar-14 10:23:59

There are better ways to publicise and raise awareness of breast cancer. What a cynical move by The Sun. Showing photoshopped, augmented breasts and objectifying women like this only serves to titillate, not protect.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 04-Mar-14 10:13:27

You can't criticise them for that campaign. Can only be good. If it does serve to salve any con science they may have about page 3, so be it.

posie Tue 04-Mar-14 10:02:14

Don't think they're really concerned with highlighting the signs of cancer, more like any excuse will do to focus on breasts in The Sun!

Ana Tue 04-Mar-14 09:43:57

There's actually a cancer charity called 'CoppaFeel'? hmm

annodomini Tue 04-Mar-14 09:27:08

Aibu to think that The Sun has had an irony bypass? Or is this their riposte to the pressure being put on them for the abandonment of Page 3 pictures?