Gransnet forums

AIBU

Obama visit, having a rant.

(39 Posts)
felice Wed 19-Mar-14 15:42:56

Obama is here next week , most of the city will be closed down public transport disrupted, some Metro stations closed, you have to show identification just to walk along some streets, friends who live anywhere near the US Embassy will need to go through checkpoints just to get home.
The US embassy is one of the only Embassys which still is in the city centre here, the apartments next to it are impossible to sell, if you want to have a friend roound for coffee, you have to inform the security of the embassy, no drop ins for a quick cuppa.
Won't be going to the bank on that date as my branch is 'in the zone', just needed to have a rant folks xx

Nonu Thu 20-Mar-14 23:09:50

Get your point, Felice

Flowerofthewest Thu 20-Mar-14 23:56:51

We live about 15 mile from an ex American Airbase. When it was operational in the 80s a friend and I walked across the fields to a local farm for a picnic. The farm was and still is open to the public as a demonstration farm. We did not know it was closed this particular day as we had walked in from the back.

We settled down to picnic when a massive military helicopter hovered low down over us. We could clearly see that the guys had large guns across their knees as they leaned out to have a look at us. We were flattered until we found out that a high ranking USAF officer was visiting the farm that day and we were under surveillance.

felice Fri 21-Mar-14 12:34:04

Just chatting to DD and she was telling me that friends who were visiting her last night and live in the city centre were told if they took their car out they would not be allowed to return it to their garage until 'further notice'
They live opposite a very posh Hotel which has some 'high heid yin' staying in it for the current summit. Their whole street is closed even to taxis, and the Hotel Restaurant is also closed, it is one of the best in the city and you need to book at least a week in advance for a table.
A time to stay at home I think.

felice Fri 21-Mar-14 22:28:09

just to top it off,it has just been announced that the Chinese Premier is also coming for a visit, the Chinese Embassy is on one of the main entry/exit roads to the city so that should be great fun. Ok possible rant over, thanks for listening folks x

felice Tue 01-Apr-14 09:45:21

here we go again, another Summit on the Ukraine, so all the EU area closed, they also close the Metro and train stations in the area so anyone not wanting to take their car to work is also stuck. The Chinese one has closed most of the city centre, DD and I went for a walk yesterday afternoon, home after 2 hours to find our street full of security men in suits and earphones. Both sides of the street lined with very large blacked out window cars and mini buses. We live opposite a large business Sheraton Hotel and there was an African leaders summit taking place, it is a two way busy bus route, and was gridlocked. No police around to direct things so just chaos, we took 15 minutes to get through the security men just to get to our front door, DD even threatened to call the police and have them charged with obstruction.
starting to wish we had gone on holiday. The police usually put signs on the street warning if there is likely to be closure but it appears they were not informed yesterday that it was going to take place. Ok another rant over.

felice Tue 01-Apr-14 11:48:49

Just went to put my rubbish bag out, big security man says no, all bags have to go at the top of the hill, told him I was disabled walked with 2 canes so if he wanted said bag at top of hill he would have to put it there, well you can imagine the reaction, 5 security guards arrive, DGS watching all this from his bedroom window, just about eye level with outside.
Then another car rolls up, right outside my door and an African Ambassador who goes to our Church gets out, good friends with the family, comes over gives me a kiss, and asks whats going on, Sec guy gets in first my friend then picked up my bag and took it to the top of the hill, I thought the sec guys were going to have a heart attack, then he sees DGs and decides he wants to say hello to him and DD so comes into the house, closing the door in the sec guys face, he says they are all tottally fed up with it, they are virtually trapped in the Hotel and the sec guys are really racist.
Hope it is all over soon, SIL had to park nearly half a kilometre from home last night.

Stansgran Tue 01-Apr-14 12:59:42

You do have an exciting life. The most exciting thing that's happened to me is sitting next to the Vice Chancellor on Sunday. He must meet a lot of top "high heid yin"people. He hasn't a clue who I am but I felt the famous radiating from him. Like heck.

felice Tue 01-Apr-14 13:42:09

Not very excited at the moment, just heard on the Radio 4 news that the Chinese premier is on a low key visit, would hate to see a high key one !!!!! A friend had a hip replacement yesterday in the hospital opposite the Sheraton in the city the Chinese are staying in, called me at 9.00am couldn't hear him for the sound of helicopters and sirens,anyone fancy a house swop next time they all come to town, just don't expect to see much of the city.

felice Tue 01-Apr-14 13:49:03

Actually most of the 'high heid yins' are really very nice it tends to be the underlings who think they are basking in some sort of glory who are the real pains.
A few years ago the Indian Ambasadors wife came to my book group and invited me and a friend to a birthday celebration for the Queens' birthday in the Parliament, we became attached to the then new South African Ambassador, attached in like having a puppy, he had just arrived had gone to school in Scotland and was obviously quite lost, he even came for a drink with us after the event, he has moved on now but we are still in touch.

lostgrandma Thu 03-Apr-14 13:03:35

I am from the United States. Next time Obama comes to visit, could you guys just keep him please?

annodomini Thu 03-Apr-14 13:24:53

Believe me, lost grandma, he'd be an improvement on some of the politicians we have here in Britain. grin

Nonu Thu 03-Apr-14 13:25:06

Lost
grin

felice Fri 04-Apr-14 16:52:16

No thanks, and when we get him again in June and it costs us another 10 million euros for his security, no the visiting 'high heid yins' do not pay for any of it including the Brits, you can have him back as quick as we can get him out of here. I have already moaned enough so will not go into my trip home from visiting a friend in Hospital yesterday. Belgian taxpayers pick up the tab, approximately 10€ per head per person. Probably includes a certain UKIP MEP who has never attended a Pleniary Session but sits in the bars outside, oh he does pay for a round, especially if he thinks you have a British vote !!!!!!!!!!