Gransnet forums

AIBU

School policy

(31 Posts)
dogsdinner Thu 20-Mar-14 09:14:58

... To be mildly annoyed that a full menu flyer from a local fish and chip shop was given out to all children at my GS's primary school. We found it in his homework book. Same school which took a small jelly sweet out of lunch box and sent a letter saying it is banned food.

Aka Thu 20-Mar-14 17:58:46

Ah ha! As I said, an enterprising 10-year old ! Richard Branson beware.

Ana Thu 20-Mar-14 16:42:10

Oh. Bit of an anti-climax after all the speculation! grin

dogsdinner Thu 20-Mar-14 16:23:52

Seems one of the older boys brought into school a load of flyers and gave them out to all he could during school time. I am sure they were aimed at parents as the menu is rather yummy. Clever marketing bet he got extra pocket money this week!

Aka Thu 20-Mar-14 16:22:21

Talking of which, it's not just things children bring home from school, you should see some of the things they fetch in hmm

One mother, when asked to come and retrieve what her 9-year old daughter had mistaken for a pencil case, never showed up for open evenings for a very long time shock

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 20-Mar-14 13:54:50

If it was a local sex sweet shop, I could understand the horror.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 20-Mar-14 13:53:20

It's only the local fish and chip shop! Something to be valued in any community I would have thought. smile

ninathenana Thu 20-Mar-14 13:48:18

I can't see a primary school allowing children to leave school at lunchtime anyway. All primary schools I've volunteered in have locked gates. The few children that went home at lunch had to have written permission and leave via the offices.
School is definitely not the place for cheap advertising.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 20-Mar-14 13:36:19

Oh. So how does removing the jelly sweet come into it? confused

Mishap Thu 20-Mar-14 12:35:30

It's not the fish'n'chips that are at issue, but using the school as an advertising vehicle.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 20-Mar-14 12:01:10

So long as the school is not advocating the kids nipping out to buy their own lunches, I can't see the harm in this. What's wrong with fish and chips for a growing child?

POGS Thu 20-Mar-14 11:59:42

I wouldn't think it was the school if they removed a sweet from a lunch box.

If it does turn out to be the school wouldn't they be hypocrites.

I have to say there is possibly the case that the school would remove a sweet as a banned food but allow a smoothy drink with more sugar content. confused.

Mishap Thu 20-Mar-14 11:37:40

Just let the chair of governors know. If the reply is that it was sanctioned by the school (unlikely) then you need to let her know in no uncertain terms that this is unacceptable. If they knew nothing about it then they will be glad that you told them so they can nip it in the bud.

Mind you, if you have a baby the NHS (another public service) will bombard you with advertising material of one sort or another. Equally unacceptable I feel.

Aka Thu 20-Mar-14 11:33:21

Is it a good fish 'n chip shop? I'm fed up of white, soggy chips that stick to the paper and each other. When I was a lass we got a 'poke' of chips and they were all crisp, golden and upright. Ahh... The Good Old Days sad

thatbags Thu 20-Mar-14 11:32:39

Sussed! wink

Aka Thu 20-Mar-14 11:31:24

You'd make a great spin doctor Bags grin

thatbags Thu 20-Mar-14 11:19:46

mamie grin

No worse than evangelical christians being allowed to swamp a school for a day at a time hmm

Besides, fishnchips is good food.

Yes, I'm being devil's advocate here but I don't think it would worry me. I'd just bin the leaflet.

The school could use it as an opportunity to teach about recycling unwanted paper and another opportunity to teach about resisting adverts.

Mamie Thu 20-Mar-14 11:11:21

Maybe it is from a literacy lesson on the use of persuasive writing in advertising. hmm

rosesarered Thu 20-Mar-14 11:07:53

I would certainly find out from the school who actually handed it out [and if the school, point out the story of the jelly sweet to them!]

harrigran Thu 20-Mar-14 10:56:40

Could be a child of chip shop owner giving them to school friends. On a walk one day we met the daughter of a female photographer who was handing out flyers for the business. Child was about 9 and it was the kind of place I would not let my child go alone.

rosequartz Thu 20-Mar-14 10:43:03

Why a secretary getting the blame before they know more? That sounds very prejudiced!

Aka Thu 20-Mar-14 10:32:25

I'd check first though who actually gave it to GS. Could it possibly be a enterprising 10-year old? hmm

Nonnie Thu 20-Mar-14 10:31:26

I doubt if a secretary would get away with that unless the teachers agreed. This is so terribly wrong that there must be more to it.

granjura Thu 20-Mar-14 10:01:37

Probably a relative of one of the secretaries, etc? I'd be really annoyed too and would write to the Head first.

Aka Thu 20-Mar-14 09:49:30

Apart from the message it sends that is pure advertising. Did the school get a fee for this or is it owned by the Chair of Governors perhaps?

DebnCreme Thu 20-Mar-14 09:41:49

I agree, complain to the Governors if you are sure it was given out by the school.