Gransnet forums

AIBU

...to expect the NHS to procure basic medicines?

(33 Posts)
janeainsworth Tue 25-Mar-14 16:26:29

DH has had hypertension for the last 25 years and for the last few years has been in a combination of drugs that control it just about satisfactorily.
None of them are esoteric or expensive.
This week he tried to get a repeat prescription, only to be told by the pharmacist that two of them are 'out of stock'.
Not just out of stock at the local chemists, but completely out of stock over the whole country.
He had to go to the GP yesterday and get a prescription for something to replace the Valsartan, and ring the pharmacist to see if the co-amilozide is now in stock.
It isn't.
He's now on the phone to the doctor asking what he can have instead.
Is this good enough?

gillybob Wed 26-Mar-14 13:34:24

My grandma will be 98 this year. I worked out that she (still) has enough paracetomol to last her until she about 120 kittylester based on taking 2-3 times a day every day. The GP didn't take them away as he said they were relatively harmless. shock Mind you she also has enough sugar and tea to keep a small army going for a few years so perhaps she just has a hoarding nature.

Deedaa Wed 26-Mar-14 21:02:45

before she went into a home my MiL was for ever sending me to the doctor to pick up another prescription for paracetamol or over to the chemist because her prescribed ones had run out. I could never see how she was getting through so many of them. When we cleared her bungalow out after she left we found boxes and boxes of them in the kitchen cupboards. Some were already out of date, but the rest of the family didn't have to buy any for months!

durhamjen Wed 26-Mar-14 23:34:56

My prescription says I can have 200 paracetamol at a time. This was from a year ago when I came out of hospital. I still have over 150 from then, and haven't had another lot of them. They are well hidden.

Galen Wed 26-Mar-14 23:56:09

I haven't had half of my co-tenidone this month! They said they'd deliver the rest next week! That was a fortnight ago!

FlicketyB Mon 31-Mar-14 17:26:49

My aunt, who had been head of a nursing school, and kept all her considerable mental powers until death, used to keep all her pills in one big jar. She knew exactly what each was and its dose size and would careful pick out what was needed when required.

Since a lot of her medication was of the 'take this to deal with the side effects of that and the other to deal with the side effects of this', dosage did vary with the strength of the side effects, but given she had several complicated and interacting medical conditions, her own knowledge of her medical conditions and understanding of the drugs she was taking meant that she was nearly 87 when she died.

Ashmore32 Thu 10-Apr-14 19:06:52

I have lost count of the times patients come in with their pills all in one bottle, the the trouble is getting to find out what they are out of hours. We technically are not allowed to let them take the tablets themselves as they are not prescribed. Some drugs are time sensitive so how dangerous that is. Allowing the patients to take their own medication under these circumstances is a theoretical dismissal.
As for drugs not being available I currently have to take ISMO 40mg SR as the regular BD preparation is unavailable apparently.
Statins can be problematic switching brands as some are quite distressing if they 'don't suit'

I wonder if the problem is as a result of drugs coming off licence from the original manufacturer

Galen Tue 24-Jun-14 18:05:05

Apparently, the producers of co tenidone are in Gujarat and their production was not up to standard. Wonder when they'll be producing again?
This is the problem with cheap generic drugs.