Gransnet forums

AIBU

Political Correctness

(126 Posts)
afieldio Tue 25-Mar-14 17:37:17

As a younger member of this community I want to take great care not to offend any of the other Gransnetters. I would be grateful for you input into how best to address you as a community. Would the term 'Senior user' be considered to be defamatory when talking about your use of the internet or would you rather the more colloquial 'Silver Surfer'.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Adam

smile

rosequartz Tue 25-Mar-14 18:32:29

I was part of a team that started the first computing science degree course in the country. That was in 1965, so computers have been around for quite some time. As have I. However, I could not have sat with that one on my lap as I am now doing with my tablet.

I have suggested an alternative. I hope you like it. However, if you don't think we are a very reliable source perhaps 'wise' would not be an apt description.

Riverwalk Tue 25-Mar-14 18:32:40

Adam I can't remember your original post but don't believe it could have been deleted because you used the word 'senior'.

And if this website is not a very reliable source why the f*ck are you asking for our opinion?

Ana Tue 25-Mar-14 18:33:22

"My post was removed for using the term 'Senior'"

I find that very hard to believe! GNHQ isn't likely to class that as an offensive term, even if some of us might...hmm

kittylester Tue 25-Mar-14 18:36:11

absent - guineapiggers!! grin

I sincerely object to being called a senior!! angry

rosequartz Tue 25-Mar-14 18:36:45

Ps my hair is still brown without the aid of dye. So I am not a 'silver surfer' either. Nor is DH.

Nonu Tue 25-Mar-14 18:39:37

I don"t mind at all about being called a Senior prefer it the alternative .
grin

Nonu Tue 25-Mar-14 18:40:27

I can"t really be called a silver surfer as my hair is Not silver !

KatyK Tue 25-Mar-14 18:40:54

As my mother used to say 'you can call me anything you like as long as you don't call me too early in the morning.' smile

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Mar-14 18:44:42

Hello Adam. smile

You call us whatever you're comfy with Sweetie. smile xxx

Have you paid the money?

Ana Tue 25-Mar-14 18:46:45

He still hasn't thanked you for that cupcake you gave him, jingl - don't they teach 'em manners these days? confused

rosequartz Tue 25-Mar-14 18:52:33

So Adam, (you don't mind if I call you Adam, do you) you must have come to the conclusion that we old fogies are quite comfortable with surfing the net.

Sorry, I must stop teasing you. You can call me Rose.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Mar-14 18:53:05

Don't frighten him off! we could have some fun He needs our help.

kittylester Tue 25-Mar-14 18:54:10

Put him down jings you don't know where he's been. grin

afieldio Tue 25-Mar-14 18:55:26

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Elegran Tue 25-Mar-14 19:03:03

The truth is, Adam that there is no such thing as a homogenous community of older people using the internet and needing to all be addressed by the same term.

There are people who :-

Have been using it since the Beeb put out the first BBC Micro,
Bought the first Apple computers when Apple was a with-it name with Beatle connections,
Have just taken the plunge and found out what the heck they are supposed to do with it,
Just want to shop at amazon,
Buy everything online,
Look for new recipes and knitting patterns only,
Can't cook or knit,
Google all new words and concepts,
Have been designing websites since you were in babygros,
Don't know what URL stands for,
Like to be called Silver surfers,
Can't stand being called silver surfers,
Frequent dating sites,
would never visit a dating site,
Frequent sites with pics of hunky blokes in the nude,
Would have a fit if they saw an online pic of a willy,
Don't like all being lumped together as though they are identical.

How do you address those who are not "seniors"? Is there one term for everyone? If it covers everyone, surely it covers those who are a little older as well as those who are a little younger?

kittylester Tue 25-Mar-14 19:05:00

Great post Elegran!

I know - we are all people - just like the rest of society!! smile

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Mar-14 19:06:54

Adam, the only reason your previous thread would have been removed is because you are supposed to pay a £30 fee to Gransnet HQ for this kind of request. They are sticklers for it, so I should contact them if I were you.

afieldio Tue 25-Mar-14 19:07:54

Ana - I have had a long email chain with the mods about why my post was removed and apparently some people took offence. I do humbly apologies

"We actually advised that you omit the word senior, as we find our members generally prefer not to be referred to as such"

Gransnet Moderator

I appreciate some of you aren't old but if anyone is going to be able to help out with my original question it should be in a forum like this. If you do not like the way the post is phrased you can ignore it, you do not need to reply. You might be more senior than me (with or without grey hair) but the joy of the internet is in its democracy and my right of free speech. Something the older generation fought hard to keep...lest we forget.

absent Tue 25-Mar-14 19:08:19

Pity (for a number of reasons) that Steve Jobs is dead, as another six years and he could have responded as a silver surfer.

thatbags Tue 25-Mar-14 19:08:42

Everyone who posts on this site is a gransnetter, therefore that is a perfectly suitable term. Why are you inventing problems about it, Adam?

Ana Tue 25-Mar-14 19:08:46

They would have told him that, surely? Not given him some waffle about the use of the word 'senior'...

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Mar-14 19:08:51

"Seniors" is fine with me.

There. A freebie for you. smile

Ariadne Tue 25-Mar-14 19:10:58

I have, in the past, supervised research students' work, and so have a few of us, so please listen for a moment. If you are engaged at some level in research, then you may be in the wrong area of the forum. Quite a few students consult / ask for advice, and we are a critical but useful source. Find the correct area.

Your initial post showed a certain naïveté, and you would be well advised to consider the members of your potential sample, and not antagonise them by appearing to patronise. Linguistically speaking, the first sentence, or headline, can either alienate or entice your readers.

Oh, and do try to distinguish between "infer" and "imply"!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Mar-14 19:11:11

C A R I !!!!! Coo-eee!

Any chance of some enlightenment here? smile

otherwise I will start thinking it was my fault

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Mar-14 19:12:33

Could we have it before 'enders starts please.

Ta.