Gransnet forums

AIBU

Political Correctness

(125 Posts)
absent Tue 25-Mar-14 18:30:57

If this is connected to a piece of research, shouldn't it be paid for (Media thread)? Too often people come on here and think we are guineapiggers not gransnetters and they can use our answers to their often tedious and ill-conceived questions for free. They are always mistaken. Or is that why the original thread (didn't see it) was apparently deleted?

kittylester Tue 25-Mar-14 18:30:33

Old age telling - I forgot the ? grin

kittylester Tue 25-Mar-14 18:29:51

And, anyway, why would you want to address us at all Adam

MiceElf Tue 25-Mar-14 18:28:27

If you don't want to reference Gransnetters then why are you on here posing questions to the members?

mollie Tue 25-Mar-14 18:27:34

I couldn't possibly comment, I'm not in the catchment age range yet...smile

MiceElf Tue 25-Mar-14 18:26:16

Quite so Kitty.

And Adam, you really, really do need to act on my advice - writing as an academic - to consult your tutor about the use of language.

If you are serious about developing good websites then the first lesson you need to learn is how to use language appropriately. After all, you don't want to alienate your audience, do you?

rosequartz Tue 25-Mar-14 18:26:00

Ps my feet are on the nice warm floor of my conservatory which has under-floor heating. All I need now is a wine . Is there a nice young man who could fetch me one?

afieldio Tue 25-Mar-14 18:25:53

MiceElf,

I do not know why you have taken such exception to my posts. I am not wanting to reference Gransnetters, and I am sure the academics amongst us would not consider this website to be a very reliable source. I do not want to write 'people over the age of 65' a million times so I would rather user the term senior, this however has caused such a controversy that the powers that be have taken it upon themselves to remove my post.

You are yet to pose a suitable alternative.

absent Tue 25-Mar-14 18:25:49

If computers had been invented four or five years ago, then perhaps there might be something interesting about "seniors" using them. However, as, for many of us, they have been an everyday part of our lives for decades, our use seems unremarkable. By the way, we invented sex too.

rosequartz Tue 25-Mar-14 18:23:37

We're people, generally speaking. And not all have grandchildren (or even children). We are diverse.

I have no idea what you could call us. How about 'The Wise'?

kittylester Tue 25-Mar-14 18:22:55

Mice - I think you have spoiled the illusion the young man had about us all sitting round in a rocking chair with our teeth in a glass, our feet in a bowl of warm water, wearing a shawl and knitting. grin

kittylester Tue 25-Mar-14 18:21:16

I've missed the fun again!!! grin And there is always fun to be had with young men around! wine

MiceElf Tue 25-Mar-14 18:19:37

Some of us on here are academics. If you use a set of responses from Gransnetters then use that term with a full reference to the site. That's not hard, is it?

afieldio Tue 25-Mar-14 18:14:16

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Riverwalk Tue 25-Mar-14 18:13:02

I(continence) Pads?

MiceElf Tue 25-Mar-14 18:09:28

What the 'seniors' needed to help their poor decrepit brains to make them work. I think grin

MiceElf Tue 25-Mar-14 18:07:59

It was something about iPads

Ariadne Tue 25-Mar-14 18:03:13

Why on earth do you want to talk to us, if you are pussyfooting about what to call us? I suspect a sociological / sociolinguistic survey of some sort, probably first year degree, if that. (Taught "A" level Sociology. Just once.)

Apologies if this is a genuine enquiry.

MiceElf Tue 25-Mar-14 18:03:04

I think they were deleted because he should have paid the thirty quid fee. He was the recipient of a few acerbic responses (including one from me) which seem to have made him anxious. grin

rosequartz Tue 25-Mar-14 18:00:28

Is this a pissmicky take?

Ana Tue 25-Mar-14 17:58:49

Adam's earlier threads seem to have disappeared completely! shock

MiceElf Tue 25-Mar-14 17:46:43

If you think carefully about it there are grandparents as young as 32 and others in their 90s. And, on this site there are members who are not grandparents but who are valued members.

After all, I'm sure you and your community wouldn't care to be referred to as Juniors or even Blonde or Brunette Browsers.

thatbags Tue 25-Mar-14 17:46:33

Use Gransnetters. It's neutral and also correct.

MiceElf Tue 25-Mar-14 17:42:00

Oh Adam, did you take my advice about speaking to your tutor on the use of language? I'm sure she'd be willing to advise.

In the meantime what about Gransnetters?

afieldio Tue 25-Mar-14 17:37:17

As a younger member of this community I want to take great care not to offend any of the other Gransnetters. I would be grateful for you input into how best to address you as a community. Would the term 'Senior user' be considered to be defamatory when talking about your use of the internet or would you rather the more colloquial 'Silver Surfer'.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Adam

smile