Gransnet forums

AIBU

think we need a party!! how about a canal trip?

(271 Posts)
bikergran Thu 27-Mar-14 17:13:44

someone mentioned the Timothy Spall canal trip! so......... are we up for a virtual canal trip anyone? not sure if we can manage the whole "Leeds to Liverpool" but could try, anyone wanting to abandon ship could jump off at the next stop! if we havn't tied them to the rudder grin think we may need a few barges but we could tie them all together and have a Zip line to get from one to another! there may be some of you that are not keen on water, so you could run along side grin or whatever. ..I shall leave that thought with you all grin we will need plenty of supplies wine drinks, food etc, and plenty of pubs waterholes and wee toilet stops. the wearing of "mini skirts and stilettos" will be prohibited seeing as though we will be operating the locks and may need to be in certain positions ie leaning over or pushing..... and not to cause the oglers men folk distraction whilst visiting the villages.

NanKate Thu 27-Mar-14 18:16:12

What a splendid idea. I can provide the locks in the Henley on Thames, Marlow, Windsor area.

Can we have Bacardi and Cokes with ice and spicy crisps ?

I have just re-read your post and I think the Thames Valley doesn't come into your area, but as it is a virtual trip could there be a bit of leeway here Bikergran ?

bikergran Thu 27-Mar-14 18:29:41

of course NanKate we can " virtual" anywhere smile will set a date when others have put their names down.smile ship ahoy!!

Nonu Thu 27-Mar-14 18:31:10

I will , as always provide champagne !

quite a lot of it in fact , hope no-one falls overboard after all that quaffing

Anne58 Thu 27-Mar-14 18:32:59

I love a good quaff!

Nonu Thu 27-Mar-14 18:48:51

PHO , little sausage, don"t think I don"t know , mind you have been known to quaff myself !!!!!
Before Lent of course !
wink

mollie Thu 27-Mar-14 19:06:00

At the risk of seeming like a pedant, why are you here in the 'am I being unreasonable' section? And I think it was Timothy West ...

Anyway, if you pass by me, here on the Grand Canal in MK, I'll give you all a wave...I'll be watching from my living room window...

Charleygirl Thu 27-Mar-14 19:20:17

Those of you who will be operating the locks should not really be drinking should you? !!!!!

I naturally will not be doing so. In my present state, I would fall overboard and yes I know, many of you would leave me there so I cannot risk it.

DebnCreme Thu 27-Mar-14 19:25:41

Possibly because an 'am I being unreasonable' always catches the attention mollie wink. sounds good to me but with my sense of direction and poor geographical abilities please could you point me in the right direction. We have some boaters amongst us (not me) so hopefully they will be able to come along and keep us on the straight and narrow (!!narrow boats!!)

Nonu Thu 27-Mar-14 19:56:37

Think it all slots in perfectly well !
Re AIMBU !!

NanKate Thu 27-Mar-14 20:10:48

Do we need a Gransnet flag ? If yes, how will we represent ourselves ?

AlieOxon Thu 27-Mar-14 20:11:55

Hey, sounds good.
Of course all virtual canals intercommunicate, too!

(Should I bring my waterwings?)

POGS Thu 27-Mar-14 20:23:40

Lovely but as I said on the other thread I am going to sit there giving out my order's, left a bit, right a bit. I will swap a cup of tea for a Bicardi and Coke though.

I definitely am not steering. Isn't it the case you move the wheel to the left , to go to the right and steer to the right to go left. confused.

DebnCreme Thu 27-Mar-14 20:25:29

'Scull and Crossbones' perhaps? We could dress as pirates - I have a stuffed parrot and an eye patch. Think all sorts of rubber/plastic accessories will be required so waterwings a must have Alie grin

DebnCreme Thu 27-Mar-14 20:28:10

Don't forget to practise 'Port' and 'Starboard'. What sort of a drink is 'Starboard'?

NanKate Thu 27-Mar-14 20:38:53

What about a wooden leg Deb ?

Icyalittle Thu 27-Mar-14 20:48:13

A Gransnet flag! Yes, we neeeeed one. For women, any coat of arms has to be on a lozenge, apparently. What, like Fishermen's Friends? Charges like martlets or (old) bats? Over crossed knitting needles?

Galen Thu 27-Mar-14 20:50:35

Flag! Spectacles with crossed crutches underneath, surmounted by zimmer frame

Galen Thu 27-Mar-14 20:51:19

Starboard is green, so presumably creme de menthe?

Charleygirl Thu 27-Mar-14 21:21:51

I get sea sick!

Galen Thu 27-Mar-14 21:53:53

On a canal?!shock

henetha Thu 27-Mar-14 22:03:21

I shall ride my virtual horse to get to the canal, then if the engine breaks down my trusty horse will pull the boat for us, as in days of old.

janeainsworth Thu 27-Mar-14 22:21:46

It can get a bit rough in the locks you know Galen wink

Anne58 Thu 27-Mar-14 22:22:44

Charleygirl I would dive in to save you! And what, exactly is the present state to which you refer?

(Notice proper phrasing, not " the present state you refer to" dead posh, me!)

PS Can't believe I "said" that, hate the word "posh" confused

rosequartz Thu 27-Mar-14 22:37:29

Charleygirl, you can be in charge of drinks pouring. We will do the jumping off and falling in. (Joke not, my cousin did that)