Gransnet forums

AIBU

think we need a party!! how about a canal trip?

(272 Posts)
bikergran Thu 27-Mar-14 17:13:44

someone mentioned the Timothy Spall canal trip! so......... are we up for a virtual canal trip anyone? not sure if we can manage the whole "Leeds to Liverpool" but could try, anyone wanting to abandon ship could jump off at the next stop! if we havn't tied them to the rudder grin think we may need a few barges but we could tie them all together and have a Zip line to get from one to another! there may be some of you that are not keen on water, so you could run along side grin or whatever. ..I shall leave that thought with you all grin we will need plenty of supplies wine drinks, food etc, and plenty of pubs waterholes and wee toilet stops. the wearing of "mini skirts and stilettos" will be prohibited seeing as though we will be operating the locks and may need to be in certain positions ie leaning over or pushing..... and not to cause the oglers men folk distraction whilst visiting the villages.

bikergran Fri 28-Mar-14 18:21:03

yes we shall set a sail date soon smile glad to see lots of willing helpers, I think if I am correct we have to dock before nightfall and moor up, some of you may need to share bunk (there's a top/middle and bottom) plenty of blankets and hot water bottles in case it gets nippy and a lovely wood burning stove, although I have been advised that anyone with boob enhancements should not stand too close to the stove

annodomini Fri 28-Mar-14 18:21:27

Caledonian Canal sounds enticing, though i would very much like to go across Scotland via the Falkirk wheel!

bikergran Fri 28-Mar-14 18:32:15

anno the canal is our Oyster! lol
ok Pogs and Lorna you are in charge of steering,but please do remember one has to be upstanding to perform this task therefore alcohol consumption may have to be drunk in moderation wink

glamma yes entice the nice crew men to help load the supplies, then when they turn their backs..whip away the gang plank so we can set sail (well theres not actualy a sail is there lol

Soutra do not fear,,the barge is one BIG cocktail bar...stretching from port to starboard.....we will be passing through Skipton and stopping off for fish n chips and may have time for a quick rummage round the market.

DebnCreme Fri 28-Mar-14 19:22:53

Can I bring my memory foam sleeping bag purlease; can't sleep without it?

POGS Fri 28-Mar-14 19:50:29

biker

I am definitely staying on the poopdeck with my Bicardi.

I can't be trusted with steering as I said. We would all be grounded if I was in charge. smile

Fish and chips sound good to me.

AlieOxon Fri 28-Mar-14 20:13:19

The POOPdeck?

Galen Fri 28-Mar-14 20:39:43

No sails! No butler! No crew!
No way!

NanKate Fri 28-Mar-14 20:55:10

I would need my own pillow and my faux zebra hot water bottle.

Finally a bag of Fox's Glacier Mints.

bikergran Fri 28-Mar-14 21:27:09

DebnCreme we would deff need your "memory foam sleeping bag as no way will anyone "remember" what has gone on the previous evening as most will be three sheets to the wind intoxicated,and your sleeping bag may hold all the clues.

I hear that the locals around the Skipton Area are already starting to board up their windows shock
Even my inflatable friends have refused to come with me (they are still recovering from the last jaunt)!
Galen we can arrange especially for you! a "personal butler" (remember the "obliging" old man I told you about earlier)? (the one wearing the thong)! grin

bikergran Fri 28-Mar-14 21:33:54

hows the flag coming on.who's in charge of the design, I have found a flag pole..well!! it was outside the Town Hall and no one was using it at the mo! so I "borrowed" it.......(had to saw it into 3 but we can screw it back together no probs.) the man who helped me carry it said he had a "Big Toolbox", there were some girls nearby who started tittering! no idea why! confused

tiggypiro Fri 28-Mar-14 22:10:32

I just need a few design ideas for the flag please. I'm good at making but design skills are few and far between. Got lots of fabric in lots of colours. Maybe something not too obvious and memorable would be a good idea and then we couldn't be identified too easily. No point bringing attention to our selves unnecessarily.

NanKate Fri 28-Mar-14 22:25:06

Perhaps we need an Invisibilty Cloak (tarpaulin) as in the H P books so that we can act disgracefully without being caught.

The flag needs to be low key so as not to bring too much attention to ourselves - perhaps with a few pictures that some people think sums up a pensioner ie knitting needles, indigestion tablets, a knee rug and a Saga magazine.

rosequartz Fri 28-Mar-14 22:25:55

Not the one at the top of the page then? The one that shouts GRANSNET?

NanKate Fri 28-Mar-14 22:28:58

I see Tiggypiro that you mentioned not bringing attention to ourselves
Didn't mean to copy your words, it's just that great minds think alike.

papaoscar Sat 29-Mar-14 05:52:02

What this proud vessel needs is a name and a figurehead. How about the good ship Venus with a magnificent Gransnet bust well strapped up to the front, like on the Cutty Sark. Those best qualified could draw lots for first place in the line. And for the ship's motto what about To boldly go, without a four-x!. A ship's Labrador is also a must, preferably black. Must now find the Purser and check over ship's stores, both wet and dry. Yo, Ho, Ho!

DebnCreme Sat 29-Mar-14 08:14:24

All excellent ideas. Can you bring the labrador papa although I do think you could take a turn being strapped to the front so I must remember to bring my wig for you. Perhaps, if the artists would not be insulted, we could use certain tea towels as a start point for the flags.

AlieOxon Sat 29-Mar-14 09:40:18

Wot, no ship's cat?

Elegran Sat 29-Mar-14 10:50:29

Can Rory swim? Can he catch rats? Is there room for his big sofa? Will there be roast chicken?

AlieOxon Sat 29-Mar-14 11:18:35

Gotta have sofas!

annodomini Sat 29-Mar-14 11:51:00

I'm not coming without my reclining chair - so there!

AlieOxon Sat 29-Mar-14 12:19:36

It's BYO furniture time!

I just remembered that the only labrador I knew well would jump in any water with a resounding belly-flop.....

bikergran Sat 29-Mar-14 12:45:46

aha!! if bringing the Labrador,,,then brings a new meaning to the "Poopdeck" grin

ninathenana Sat 29-Mar-14 13:06:48

grin biker. The person that brings the lab should be responsible for the 'poopdeck' don't you think.
I'm reserving my cabin as far away from there as possible!

papaoscar Sat 29-Mar-14 15:40:42

The prospect of myself be-wigged and strapped to the front would be enough to frighten the water out of the canal, so I and the Labrador will follow at a discrete distance in one of those three-men-in-boat floating tent contraptions which with a bit of luck you will be towing. This will protect dog and I, hopefully, from too much exposure to the inevitable maritime calamities including any canine or masculine poop-deck indiscretions.

I'm currently re-jigging a shanty or two to assist when pulling the pints through the locks. Early thoughts, to the tune of 'What shall we do with the drunken sailor...sung lustily and loudly:

What shall we do with the Gransnet banner
Ditto, ditto
When we reach the boozer?

Suggestions, please!

POGS Sat 29-Mar-14 20:38:56

Biker.

Hang on a minute I bagged the Poop Deck first. smile

OK I will look after him and his doggy doodies but he will have put up with my awful singing once the Bicardi has kicked in.

Usually 'I am sailing' or the 'Good Ship Lollipop'. Poor ruddy pooch. confused