Gransnet forums

AIBU

The wrong colour!

(31 Posts)
HildaW Tue 01-Apr-14 17:16:56

OH I could crush a grape! Just wandering around my little plot in the sunshine and have realised that my carefully chosen tulips in my herb garden are not going to be a delicate shade of yellow......oh no, they are coming out bright orange!!!!

tanith Thu 03-Apr-14 11:39:12

I always dry my pots of daffs each year and replant in the pots in the Autumn, trouble is I have lots of different colours/sizes/shapes and once they are out of the pots drying they get mixed up and I can't tell which is which, hence this year I have pots with Tete a Tete mixed with tall yellow daffs and Jonquil and yellow and various different colour and shape daffs.
Anyone got a fool proof way of telling which are which once the flowers have died down? Then at least I would be able to group the same height/colour together.
Having said all that I actually don't really mind them mingling together its just some big showy ones hide the small delicate ones.

Nonu Thu 03-Apr-14 11:39:54

Jane you are sooo lucky I can"t get to do anything in my garden.
I think they are so pretty ! Such delicate petals !
smile

Nonu Thu 03-Apr-14 11:40:42

missed out the THem

janerowena Thu 03-Apr-14 11:56:43

They do grow like weeds here, I have a fine sandy soil.

tanith, take the bulbs out of the pots once they have died down. Dry them off spread apart in a box lined with newspaper. Look at the bulbs and see what colour they are. The colour of the bulb (of a mature bulb, not a little young one) is often a good guide as to the future colour. Darker colours have darker bulbs quite often.

tanith Thu 03-Apr-14 12:03:57

thanks janerowena , I was surprised how alike all the bulbs are once they are dried I would of thought they would all be different sizes but of course some are mature bulbs and some just bulblets (is that a word?) never thought about looking at the colour of the bulbs I'll give that a try. Also maybe I could mark the bulbs with pen as someone else suggested they do on the leaves of tulips , maybe that would work too.