Gransnet forums

AIBU

the mother from hell

(59 Posts)
Elegran Wed 09-Apr-14 16:02:01

Tell her that you have given the clothes airer to some one else "who needs it more than me. It is time I bought a new one, anyway. I have been using that one for too long"

Men friends? How old does she think you are? Fourteen? Bring home a really dishy one (even just for a cuppa, or to read the meter for you) and then tease her about being envious.

rosesarered Wed 09-Apr-14 15:14:23

Just remind her that you are not a child any more.

Grannyknot Sat 05-Apr-14 23:02:47

...unless it is dementia of course.

Grannyknot Sat 05-Apr-14 23:00:45

Have the following conversation "I love you dearly but there is something I need to say to you ..." and then tell her. Give her back her clothes airer saying "Thanks, it has given me brilliant service but I want a new one".

I know it may be easier said than done, but what you describe is enough to make anyone's life miserable and it can't carry on. Sneaking a man friend out with a blanket over his head, I'm impressed that he played along, he must really like you Silverfish. smile.

glammanana Sat 05-Apr-14 22:48:23

Silverfish Can you not suggest she goes to meet ladies of a similar age during the day do you have a Age UK group near you where she could maybe spend a couple of hours and take the onus off you for a while,does sound as if there is an up and coming personality problem or has she always been like this.On a funny side you could always change your car and not tell her grin or change your hours of work but seriously I can imagine it is getting you down somewhat as you should be able to lead your own life without the constant interuption from your mum.

Soutra Sat 05-Apr-14 22:08:54

Does she see other friends/family or are you her only contact? She sounds very lonely and as if she has nothing else in her life sad

JessM Sat 05-Apr-14 22:07:51

Yes if she has had a radical personality change absent may be right.
Alternatively she may just hate being in her 80s and resent you for your youth - people do sometimes take things out on their nearest and dearest, or someone that will put up with them being bad tempered and demanding.
But why are you taking so much notice ? Why do you pick up the phone? Or stay in the room when she starts lecturing you? Is she like this with other people or just you?

absent Sat 05-Apr-14 21:28:23

Sounds like dementia setting in. sad

Silverfish Sat 05-Apr-14 21:24:50

Is it me or just the ageing process but my elderly mother 83, is such a tyrant , she never used to be like this, worked all her life and as a widow is comfortable financially. she has niggling health problems but goes out almost every day and has lots more friends than I have. The problem is she is so controlling, she lives in the same street and watches my car come and go and if I'm home early from work she is on the phone to see why Im back. she is kind hearted and has helped me out financially but if she gives me help she demands to know what ive spent. If I talk about redecorating she will say there is nothing wrong with what I have. I own a clothes airer that she gave me 20 years ago and I dare not replace it as she caught me throwing it out and gave me such a lecture about waste. I had a man friend and I used to have to sneak him out in the morning with a blanket over his head so she couldn't see there was anyone in the car. It has got so bad now that if I buy a magazine I have to hide it as I will get a lecture on wasting my money. She says no-one should buy new as we are all just upping profits for greedy manufacturers, her house is full of hoarded clutter that I hate. I just don't like to go to see her now as I know I will get into a fight over something Ive done. ~Anyone else got this problem