Gransnet forums

AIBU

nudity within the home

(38 Posts)
ninathenana Sun 06-Apr-14 10:29:58

I have read an article today about a father who bought a phone that had nude pictures of the salesman on it. Disgraceful in my opinion he should be dismissed but......
These pics were seen by the buyers 4yr old daughter who apparently screamed and asked 'what is it?' DH was open about being naked in front of DD at that age. DD would have known what it was. They often shared a bath until she was about 3.
How did your family regard nudity in the home?

FlicketyB Sun 06-Apr-14 21:48:26

No nudity, but no prudery, just a very strong sense of privacy. DF, as the only man in a family of women was fairly defensive. I saw him in pyjamas, but no further. I did see DM in her undies but, again, no further,

DH and I were quite happy for DS and DD to see us naked for the first two or three years, but some how after that we drifted back into an attitude of personal privacy. Partly for my children's safety I wanted them to know that all our bodies were private and nobody else had a right to see them or touch them in intimate areas. By being consistent from close family outwards I hoped they would not be confused by different rules for different people and who fell in each block.

Yummygran Tue 08-Apr-14 09:52:36

I never saw my Father naked, but I did my Mum and it was never an issue as I grew up.

I remember when my eldest son was about three years old, having a fascination for seeing me naked, and no matter what he was doing, would always dash to appear in the bedroom or bathroom to 'catch-me'. It got quite unnerving in a way, but I didn't make an issue of it and he grew out of it. My younger son was indifferent as he grew up.

Now I have small grandchildren who stay with me, as we don't have a bath, only showers, the only way I can get them showered is if I go in with them, which isn't an issue for me or them, they are all used to it being relaxed in their respective homes. Obviously as they get older and can wash themselves it won't be necessary for me to join them.

kittylester Tue 08-Apr-14 11:39:25

A friend of my mother always wore trousers when her children were little (quite unusual and liberated way back in the 50s!) Her son (aged around 3) used to lie on his back on the floor and wriggle around innocently until his head was looking up the skirt of some poor unsuspecting woman. He stopped doing it when his mum stopped being 'liberated' and started to dress in skirts!! grin

Deedaa Tue 08-Apr-14 21:15:41

I only saw my father undressed when we were all sharing a room on holiday. The rest of the year he was up and dressed before me and in bed after me at night so the opportunity never arose. My mother never worried about nudity in spite of her convent education grin DH and I used to roam around naked when we were young (and SLIM) but these days we prefer not to inflict such sights on each other.

absent Tue 08-Apr-14 22:59:10

Babysitting a friend's little daughter and their next door neighbour's little son in the friends house, I ran their bath and told them both to use the loo. The little girl watched the boy with fascination and then said, "That's a handy little gadget".

Ana Tue 08-Apr-14 23:06:18

Hmm...

Polygran Wed 09-Apr-14 08:09:46

Must say I have always been more embarrassed about my NOT flat belly than about showing any other bits!

Experigran Wed 09-Apr-14 13:51:10

i am in my seventies and don't remember seeing my parents naked, but it was very cold in those days with no central heating and ice inside the windows! When bringing up my children, we didn't deliberately walk around naked, but neither did we cover up if they came in.

This does remind me of a joke though.

A small boy and girl were sharing a bath, when the little girl said to her mother, "Will I have one of those when I grow up, Mummy?"

"If you're a good girl,you will have one," Mummy said, "and if you're naughty, you'll have lots!"

Mishap Wed 09-Apr-14 14:52:43

"absent" - reminds me of the (?true) story of the little girl out and about in the fresh air who saw a similar sight and said: "That is a useful thing to take on a picnic!" Not as good as my sheewee of course!

specki4eyes Wed 09-Apr-14 16:31:31

My Mum once said to me, "your Dad respects me, he never looks at me when I'm getting undressed". I was a lusty young woman at the time and her comment made me feel terribly sad for her.

However, my ex husband seemed to revel in walking around naked which always reminded me that I had a pile of ironing which needed doing. smile

Mishap Wed 09-Apr-14 17:13:48

"specky" - if you are anything like me (which from your name I would guess you are) then all you had to do was take your glasses off!

MamaCaz Fri 11-Apr-14 21:47:08

Absent grin

Earlier this week my 2.5 year old grandson needed the bathroom while I was in the middle of having a shower and washing my hair. I let him in, and he sat on the loo staring at me with a very strange expression on his face. I do hope the poor lad isn't scarred for life!

I've never seen my parents naked, and only a couple of times in underwear. When my own boys were small, I was happy for them to see me naked when they were little, but I tended to avoid it as they got bigger. I think it will be the same with the grandchildren.