Gransnet forums

AIBU

Cancelled half marathon

(36 Posts)
GillT57 Sun 06-Apr-14 12:31:35

Why didnt someone go to the Cash n Carry and buy some bl**dy water?

Lilygran Sun 06-Apr-14 12:19:25

Total chaos! And the police put up an ineffective road block to try to stop the race. The runners ran anyway.

Gally Sun 06-Apr-14 12:18:35

Yep, 'elf 'n safety, the nanny state and the fear of litigation all rearing their heids wink

Anne58 Sun 06-Apr-14 12:17:38

And a scribe with a tablet (non electronic kind) ready to ask questions such as "So herald, how does it feel to be tackling this on your own, do you get lonely?"

Elegran Sun 06-Apr-14 12:16:23

Useless organisation too - they must have known in advance how many runners there would be and how much water was needed.

Elegran Sun 06-Apr-14 12:15:05

And a TV crew filming for Athens Tonight.

Soutra Sun 06-Apr-14 12:14:54

Elf n safety gone mad again. SIL and DD go in for that sort of thing and I can imagine how disappointed and annoyed the runners must have been sad

Anne58 Sun 06-Apr-14 12:10:34

Elegran he probably had a support team going alongside him in a chariot!

Elegran Sun 06-Apr-14 12:09:10

Could they not have concentrated the water on the part of the course for which it would be enough and sent someone to the cash and carry for the rest, with instructions to be back before the runners reached the waterless points? Meanwhile marshalls stationed at that point could hold up a big sign saying "No water from here on until suplies get here". An anouncement at the start would let the runners know what was happening.

I wonder if the Greek herald running from the battle of Marathon with the news had enough water?

Anne58 Sun 06-Apr-14 12:08:56

Does seem a bit extreme Jess, I hardly think a bit of rain constitutes much of a problem!

JessM Sun 06-Apr-14 11:58:30

Apparently the organisers cancelled the Sheffield half marathon today after the participants had been waiting to start for a while. Most of them apparently set off anyway. Not enough water so it was not deemed safe to have the race.
Now bearing in mind it is (I believe) a cool, grey, wet day in Sheffield today and that the distance is only 13 miles . AIBU to think that they were being hyper cautious - and would have been safer to let it go ahead. I would be amazed if any of the runners collapse from dehydration. But if they do, there will be no first aid available will there, and no marshals to keep the route safe.
My DH did long bike ride in the heat in the mountains once, where the organisers ordered insufficient water. The riders weren't happy but no one collapsed from dehydration.