Gransnet forums

AIBU

Farage - Fave or Freak?

(19 Posts)
papaoscar Mon 07-Apr-14 13:47:27

Can't make him out. He looks like a spiv and sounds like a spiv. Some of his mates ARE spivs. He's anti-everything with flashy solutions a-plenty but no real policies. He runs down the Tories, Libs, Labour, business, Europe and tax avoiders etc. but is quite prepared to line his own pockets with Brussels money, do little work there, and get his wife on the Brussels payroll as well. He is capitalising on people's disillusion with politics at the moment, but would he do any better? If he became Captain of my boat I think I'd jump ship, but what do you think, Hon. Members?

merlotgran Mon 07-Apr-14 13:55:45

Didn't you read any of the other threads on Nigel, papaoscar? hmm

whenim64 Mon 07-Apr-14 14:03:50

Yes, he's a spiv through and through. Haven't we run out of things to say about him after the other recent threads?

papaoscar Mon 07-Apr-14 14:15:25

No, MG, I just plunged straight in. I'd better go back to limerick land...

goldengirl Mon 07-Apr-14 17:08:45

I have to admit I'm wavering confused

ninny Mon 07-Apr-14 17:22:39

www,ukip.org/index

Here are UKIPS policies. If you ask Nigel Farage a question he gives you a straight answer.

Mishap Mon 07-Apr-14 17:48:21

Unfortunately their website is big on ideas and snappy sound bites, but more than a bit short on HOW these might be achieved (all supposing you wanted them to be) and, most importantly, paid for. On-the-ground research is lacking - for instance, where are they going to find the GPs to (wo)man the extra clinics? - they may find that they have to resort to using immigrants - heaven forfend!

Their approach to the EU is simplistic and provides no analysis of the economic issues.

I hate to say this, but we must not lose sight of how dictatorships begin - with an individual with insular views and policies who tries to capitalise on the disillusionment of the electorate in a simplistic and rabble-rousing fashion. Disillusionment with the prevailing party is what happens at this stage of a parliament and it is part of democracy - it is what helps to stop governments becoming complacent. But it is not a sound basis for government to simply slag of the existing parties without sound, well-researched policies.

Let us not forget the cranks and loonies who have signed up to ukip - NF tries to distance himself from them, but he cannot, because they are the sort of people his rhetoric appeals to. He cannot have it both ways.

NF's "straight answers" sound good but have no substance; no detailed social/econmic research to back them up. He has never held power - he has no idea of the compromises that are forced upon those ruling the country - let us make sure he never finds out.

Ana Mon 07-Apr-14 17:51:12

You'll be likening Farage to Hitler next, Mishap...(or someone will!)

Mishap Mon 07-Apr-14 17:56:14

Hmmmm.....

annodomini Mon 07-Apr-14 18:17:36

I'd jump with you, papaoscar. I'm astonished that so many people are taken in by the smooth rhetoric of this 'man of the people' who was privately educated at Dulwich College, worked as a city trader and whose hostility to immigration belies his Huguenot ancestry, not to mention his German wife.

papaoscar Mon 07-Apr-14 18:36:57

An excellent cautionary summation, MH, of a potentially very destructive party and its maverick leader on the fringe of British and European politics.

petallus Mon 07-Apr-14 18:40:44

I'm keeping an open mind. I wouldn't automatically dismiss him as a spiv, idiot, fascist or whatever.

If he is genuinely concerned about the under-privileged and low paid people of this country, then that's one thing I like.

Ana Mon 07-Apr-14 18:41:54

And whatever he is, at least he's keeping the other parties on their toes!

Riverwalk Mon 07-Apr-14 18:48:56

petallus has he ever demonstrated a concern about the under-privileged or low-paid .... as in run a soup kitchen or charity?

I have no particular beef with the man and it says something about how jaded we all seem to be with our conventional political leaders that he even sees the light of day politics-wise, but I think he's just full of rhetoric and is a bit of a novelty.

petallus Mon 07-Apr-14 19:02:36

Is it realistic to expect him to run a soup kitchen?

Anyway, if he did and it was reported in the media, everyone would just say he was cynically doing it for the publicity.

Riverwalk Mon 07-Apr-14 19:13:03

There are many politicians of all persuasions who have a long record of good deeds and charitable works .... I'm not aware of Nigel Farage having such a record, particularly to help the under-privileged or low-paid, the two groups that you mentioned.

Ana Mon 07-Apr-14 19:20:53

I'm not aware of Cameron, Clegg or Miliband having any such record either - yet they all claim to be concerned about the under-privileged and low-paid of this country!

Riverwalk Mon 07-Apr-14 19:28:59

Quite right Ana - and maybe that's why so many of us are cynical about all politicians, even if they try to be independent mavericks.

We've discussed this in the past on GN .... sometimes I really feel that no-one deserves my vote and that there is such a thing as a positive abstention.

Iam64 Mon 07-Apr-14 19:38:15

Riverwalk, for the first time in my life, I feel a lot of sympathy with your feeling about registering positive abstention. I also agree with you about Farrage.

Would proportional representation make any difference?