Gransnet forums

AIBU

MP's expenses

(35 Posts)
grannyactivist Tue 08-Apr-14 16:04:06

Is it unreasonable to expect MP's to pay out of their own pockets for things like potato peelers, loo seats and cleaning products? My husband is a civil servant and despite getting a 'top performer' appraisal every single year he hasn't had a performance rated pay rise for seven years due to government cuts. He takes very seriously the fact that it's the public's money he's spending so when he goes away several nights a week for work he purposely keeps his expenses low; staying in cheap accommodation and eating as cheaply as he can. He can claim only for what he spends (quite rightly) and doesn't have an 'allowance' as most private sector workers do.
So it makes my blood boil when I see what MP's claim for and often receive as 'legitimate' expenses. angry
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/mps-expenses-in-pictures/6790519/MPs-expenses-the-most-bizarre-claims.html

Ana Thu 10-Apr-14 19:23:13

Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority, POGS.

POGS Thu 10-Apr-14 21:48:52

Anna

I was addressing the question as a generalisation to the Iam64's post re the petition.

"Have you signed then petition on line to stop MP's policing their own expenses"

I thought was IPSA was set up to do.

Ana Thu 10-Apr-14 22:16:43

Oh, sorry. I thought you were asking what IPSA was.

Ana Thu 10-Apr-14 22:17:36

(PS My name is Ana)

POGS Thu 10-Apr-14 22:48:08

Ana

I'm sorry. Do you know I think I have said Anna on more than one occasion. No excuses, word blindness. blush

mrsmopp Thu 17-Apr-14 22:21:49

Not illegal, but David Cameron is renting out his London home while he lives in Downing Street. The rent is £6000 a month!! So a very handy £72,000 a year extra income on top of his pay and allowances and everything else. No wonder he let Maria Miller get away with her claims. He still claimed 40p for a bulldog clip.
Don't they realise how angry we all are with them? They have learned nothing after the last expenses scandal.
Build a block of flats, stick them all in there and do away with expenses altogether. Bunch of fraudsters they are and they don't even think they are doing anything wrong. No conscience at all. And they have the nerve to cut benefits from the worst off in society in order to balance the books. Grrrrrrrrr!!

Iam64 Fri 18-Apr-14 09:02:25

That is a very handy sum isn't it mrsmopp, more than most people can ever hope to earn in a year and far above the 'average' wage.

I wonder if Mr C could be persuaded to donate the rental income, which he doesn't need, to a housing charity or similar. So far as I know, he doesn't pay rent on number 10, or chequers, so he's quids in, particularly given the ridiculous way in which house prices are rising in London.

I still believe MP's should be paid more, similar to head teachers and GP's, or managers in industry etc. Their main home should be in their constituency, and some form of basic accommodation provided for them when they're in London. Expenses should be monitored in the same way they are for other public servants. There are set amounts for meals, petrol, rail/air travel and alcohol is never claimable.

Lilygran Fri 18-Apr-14 09:10:30

What I didn't understand about Maria Miller is why she needed a second home when her constituency is Basingstoke. Western Isles, Cornwall, even Newcastle, hard to commute daily. But Basingstoke? I'll vote for mrsmopp's block of flats. And their spouses and families should stay in the constituency and experience local health care and education and policing. It makes me so cross to hear our MP talking about local conditions when he and his family all live in London. And so many of them, all parties, are parachuted in from central office with no local knowledge or interests.

Iam64 Fri 18-Apr-14 09:27:02

Absolutely agree with you Lilygran. We are fortunate in that our local MP was born in the area, worked in the area and his family live here. He joins constituents in campaigns to protect local services, e.g. libraries, youth services, mental health services and A&E. I'm so irritated by the noise and nonsense at PMQ's, by the slippery way in which so many politicians never answer a direct question, expenses, etc etc that I may be inclined either not to vote, or spoil my ballot paper if we weren't represented be a real person, with a life similar to that of the people he represents.