Gransnet forums

AIBU

Netiquette (dreadful title)

(45 Posts)
mcem Sun 13-Apr-14 16:32:10

A simple non-controversial question.
Would you be kind enough to clarify your definition of racist, libellous and breaking the law? I ask because these are the criteria given for justifying the deletion of a thread in the very rare event that such a decision has to be made. Hypothetical, obviously.

Nonu Mon 14-Apr-14 14:35:05

Tegan , I likeee !
grin

rosesarered Mon 14-Apr-14 14:33:27

more likely to lurk behind vertical blinds today.

POGS Sun 13-Apr-14 22:31:13

Tegan

On the ball tonight. smile

Tegan Sun 13-Apr-14 22:26:33

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR3B8-DsXL8
you mean like this?

Dragonfly1 Sun 13-Apr-14 22:25:15

POGS grin!

POGS Sun 13-Apr-14 21:53:27

PS

I thought I would be looking up a thread asking what we thought about people who lurk behind net curtains. smile

POGS Sun 13-Apr-14 21:51:00

I missed it again. confused.

Very annoying though not to be able to make your own mind up if offence was caused, after all it does vary between posters it would appear.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 13-Apr-14 20:47:25

grin

Aka Sun 13-Apr-14 20:37:22

Not saying. Don't want a nasty PM hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 13-Apr-14 19:46:34

Yeah. What?

Ana Sun 13-Apr-14 19:45:12

What were you both shocked by?

DebnCreme Sun 13-Apr-14 19:41:06

Me too Aka

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 13-Apr-14 19:36:10

I had a pm I Wasn't happy about, soon after GN started. I sort of "outed" it on-forum but did not name the poster. (She coughed up of her own accord actually grin)

Nonu Sun 13-Apr-14 19:24:45

ANA ,you saucy minx you ---18.07

Cripes !!!!!!!!!!

Dragonfly1 Sun 13-Apr-14 19:07:49

Oh bugger, I've missed the action again.

Aka Sun 13-Apr-14 18:53:41

I have to admit I was shocked.

Grannyknot Sun 13-Apr-14 18:51:23

I'm a moderator on forums for work. I would always automatically report spam (as I did recently). For anything else, we pretty much follow what Julie describes, including endless discussion in the team before a decision is made to delete.

Soutra Sun 13-Apr-14 18:44:43

Actually ana I was totally clueless ( I know, no change there) grin just "support". Thanks anyway for those who did!

Ana Sun 13-Apr-14 18:33:57

I'm sure the PMs you received must have given some indication of why they'd been sent, Soutra! You're right about the dead horses, though...

Soutra Sun 13-Apr-14 18:31:27

I am just getting up to speed on this and had been wondering why I was getting pmp's of support!! Not that support of any sort isn't always welvome . I undetstand a PM I sent was published - I hope nothing in it was deemed offensive and that it was reproduced accurately - typos and allgrin
Just thinking though- isn't there a bit of a clue in the name - Private Message? Not that I do not stand by what I write but maybe feel some dead horses deserve to be let off further flogging.

JulieGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 13-Apr-14 18:12:10

mcem

I know I'm not alone in wondering about the arcane rules of GNHQ, but, and this is the only serious bit, I genuinely don't know how it's decided when the line is crossed. Purely on the number of reports? Or according to the criteria?
Glad some of you are enjoying sunshine -it's raining here, which is probably why I lingered too long on GN. By the way, in the midst of storm-in-a-teacupgate, I hope your attention hasn't been diverted too much, phoenix and that you're looking forward to getting back to work tomorrow!

The criteria is the guidelines. We look at each post or thread individually, and it's irrelevant whether there's been one report or ten. As I said up there, somewhere, we look at the whole of the picture and we may not necessarily delete a post which has been reported, we try not to. It's often a judgement call but we do ask other members of the team to double check things if it's not cut and dry, and if we've been too hasty we'll happily hold up our hands and fix it.

We deleted a thread earlier which did seem harmless enough, but when we looked at the bigger picture - the history behind it - and after looking into things a bit more in depth, we decided it would be inappropriate to leave it up.

We're always happy to look at anything that you're not too sure about and it's very rare that we remove threads or posts.

Ana Sun 13-Apr-14 18:07:26

Nonu, sometimes any sort of thrill is better than none! grin

Nonu Sun 13-Apr-14 18:03:09

Grant you that , love a thrill just so long as it is not a cheap one .

Laugh!!!!!!

Anne58 Sun 13-Apr-14 17:53:41

Oh but the thrill of the surprise Nonu!

Nonu Sun 13-Apr-14 17:53:33

PHO CSL .
Do hope all goes well for you next week !