Gransnet forums

AIBU

Netiquette (dreadful title)

(44 Posts)
mcem Sun 13-Apr-14 16:32:10

A simple non-controversial question.
Would you be kind enough to clarify your definition of racist, libellous and breaking the law? I ask because these are the criteria given for justifying the deletion of a thread in the very rare event that such a decision has to be made. Hypothetical, obviously.

annsixty Sun 13-Apr-14 16:34:30

Yes what did we miss? I just saw some capital letters and woosh it was gone.

Nonu Sun 13-Apr-14 16:36:06

Excellent question MCEM!

JulieGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 13-Apr-14 16:42:52

Hello smile

There's a link to our 'netiquette' here www.gransnet.com/info/netiquette

We don't like deleting threads as we're aware of the time and effort that is invested in them, but sometimes there isn't much choice as we have to look at the whole picture, not just the thread itself. Our deletion messages are often standard so don't always explain why a thread has been zapped as accurately as they should.

Ana Sun 13-Apr-14 16:50:55

Well, GNHQ's message on the deleted thread implied that they'd had so many reports bring their attention to it that they had no option!

Why some members feel the need to interfere in such a way is always beyond me...hmm

Ana Sun 13-Apr-14 16:51:16

'bringing'

JulieGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 13-Apr-14 16:58:11

It was reported, Ana. We do appreciate every report and we look at them all.

mcem Sun 13-Apr-14 16:58:46

Sorry I omitted 'obscene' and 'personal attacks' in my OP.
Given that you also emphasise moderation in all things, when does one overstep the mark and become immoderate. If posters feel a discussion is following a moderate path but includes some robust or even controversial debate, while not breaching any of these guidelines, how do you decide when and how to apply your criteria?
AIBU to ask for further clarification? Heaven forfend that we may unwittingly break the rules again.

petallus Sun 13-Apr-14 17:00:21

How very irritating!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 13-Apr-14 17:02:03

Oh, leave Julie alone and let her go out in the sunshine. sad

Anne58 Sun 13-Apr-14 17:07:30

Just in case anyone's wondering, I didn't report it, thought it wouldn't last long anyway, and besides I was a bit busy trying to persuade Mr P that no matter how he tried to arrange it, there was no way he was going to get 6 portions of mashed potato into the freezer that he had already filled with a years supply of chicken thighs and enough of his home made chilli to feed the bloody Royal Scots Dragoon Guards.

Either he's going though a funny phase or he knows something we don't re. the possibility of either:

A) A national shortage of chicken thighs
B) An imminent nuclear war
C) Legislation being introduced that Chilli can only be made with a licence issued by Nigel Farage (ok, I made that bit up blush )

Bless him!

Mr P that is, not Nigel Farage.

Nonu Sun 13-Apr-14 17:16:23

Perhaps he is stocking up, well now you work, he Might have to cook,
so perhaps he is like the wise virgins and trimmimg his wick !!!!!!
Laugh & x to you !

JulieGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 13-Apr-14 17:16:44

mcem

Sorry I omitted 'obscene' and 'personal attacks' in my OP.
Given that you also emphasise moderation in all things, when does one overstep the mark and become immoderate. If posters feel a discussion is following a moderate path but includes some robust or even controversial debate, while not breaching any of these guidelines, how do you decide when and how to apply your criteria?
AIBU to ask for further clarification? Heaven forfend that we may unwittingly break the rules again.

We do prefer it if Gransnetters report anything that they think breaks our talk guidelines so that we can take a look. We don't actively look for threads to delete and we're happy to let folk get on with things, whether robust or controversial, all we ask is that folk stick to our guidelines. You're always welcome to get in touch about anything that you're not too sure about.

mcem Sun 13-Apr-14 17:20:03

I know I'm not alone in wondering about the arcane rules of GNHQ, but, and this is the only serious bit, I genuinely don't know how it's decided when the line is crossed. Purely on the number of reports? Or according to the criteria?
Glad some of you are enjoying sunshine -it's raining here, which is probably why I lingered too long on GN. By the way, in the midst of storm-in-a-teacupgate, I hope your attention hasn't been diverted too much, phoenix and that you're looking forward to getting back to work tomorrow!

Ana Sun 13-Apr-14 17:20:17

Has that answered your question, mcem?
No, I thought not...grin

Anne58 Sun 13-Apr-14 17:26:52

Nonu I can't complain, he did all the cooking last week and even made me sandwiches on a couple of occasions (although he will insist on cutting them in half crossways, rather then triangles!)

mcem yes, in many ways I am looking forward to it! A couple of tentative suggestions that I made last week were well received, so fingers crossed the second week will go well too. Of course I'm still in a probationary period, so nothing is guaranteed, but I'm hoping all will be well.

petallus Sun 13-Apr-14 17:43:57

Ah well, in a democracy the will of the majority must prevail.

Yes, hope your second week goes well Phoenix

Anne58 Sun 13-Apr-14 17:49:25

Thank you petallus!

Nonu I've just re-read your post of 17.16, I do hope he isn't trimming his wick, although it's so long since I've seen it, he may well have done!

Yours sincerely,

A not so wise, but born again virgin, sadly. Ho hum!

Nonu Sun 13-Apr-14 17:52:07

Well himself makes the sandwiches at lunchtime and I never know whether it will be triangles or squares . Depends on his mood !!
<Le Sigh>

Nonu Sun 13-Apr-14 17:53:33

PHO CSL .
Do hope all goes well for you next week !

Anne58 Sun 13-Apr-14 17:53:41

Oh but the thrill of the surprise Nonu!

Nonu Sun 13-Apr-14 18:03:09

Grant you that , love a thrill just so long as it is not a cheap one .

Laugh!!!!!!

Ana Sun 13-Apr-14 18:07:26

Nonu, sometimes any sort of thrill is better than none! grin

JulieGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 13-Apr-14 18:12:10

mcem

I know I'm not alone in wondering about the arcane rules of GNHQ, but, and this is the only serious bit, I genuinely don't know how it's decided when the line is crossed. Purely on the number of reports? Or according to the criteria?
Glad some of you are enjoying sunshine -it's raining here, which is probably why I lingered too long on GN. By the way, in the midst of storm-in-a-teacupgate, I hope your attention hasn't been diverted too much, phoenix and that you're looking forward to getting back to work tomorrow!

The criteria is the guidelines. We look at each post or thread individually, and it's irrelevant whether there's been one report or ten. As I said up there, somewhere, we look at the whole of the picture and we may not necessarily delete a post which has been reported, we try not to. It's often a judgement call but we do ask other members of the team to double check things if it's not cut and dry, and if we've been too hasty we'll happily hold up our hands and fix it.

We deleted a thread earlier which did seem harmless enough, but when we looked at the bigger picture - the history behind it - and after looking into things a bit more in depth, we decided it would be inappropriate to leave it up.

We're always happy to look at anything that you're not too sure about and it's very rare that we remove threads or posts.

Soutra Sun 13-Apr-14 18:31:27

I am just getting up to speed on this and had been wondering why I was getting pmp's of support!! Not that support of any sort isn't always welvome . I undetstand a PM I sent was published - I hope nothing in it was deemed offensive and that it was reproduced accurately - typos and allgrin
Just thinking though- isn't there a bit of a clue in the name - Private Message? Not that I do not stand by what I write but maybe feel some dead horses deserve to be let off further flogging.