Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be irritated by charities sending free stuff?

(45 Posts)
Mishap Thu 17-Apr-14 17:29:40

I have just received a letter from the British Red Cross. It contains: 2 notecards with envelopes, a bookmark, a biro and a teabag.

Presumably this is a to "guilt" me into sending a donation. I know the BRC do great work but this method of drumming up donations really irritates me. I am just a grumpy old woman?

goldengirl Thu 17-Apr-14 17:38:06

No you're not. I cross out my address, put Return to Sender and march off to the post box. I find it extremely irritating and I'm afraid they make nothing out of me!

Ana Thu 17-Apr-14 17:39:56

Not at all, Mishap - we've just received that letter with cards etc.
I am only annoyed because they sent us the same letter and contents several weeks ago. I would have liked a different set this time! tbugrin

annsixty Thu 17-Apr-14 17:50:23

My pack,received yesterday, contained two packets of seeds along with pen and notelets.

Charleygirl Thu 17-Apr-14 18:08:25

I send the stuff back and ask to be taken off their database and to date it has worked. I have not heard from them for a couple of years.

petallus Thu 17-Apr-14 18:12:55

I also feel like I am being emotionally blackmailed, except it does not work. I keep the pen or seeds or whatever, throw away what I don't want and forget all about it.

annodomini Thu 17-Apr-14 18:14:53

I am feeling deprived. I received neither seeds not a teabag. Are my donations inadequate?

Ana Thu 17-Apr-14 18:30:13

Oh! I didn't notice that Mishap had mentioned a teabag! I didn't get one of those either time - now I do feel hard-done-by! hmm

Mishap Thu 17-Apr-14 18:34:01

I do hope that they are reading this and take the hint!

onneker Thu 17-Apr-14 19:39:10

The ones I really, really dislike are those that send coins and sound, in their description, as if they are very poor. I am determined not to be blackmailed into responding but somehow peeling off the money feels rather like stealing so I end up carrying the money around looking for a charity box. I did receive an umbrella once from a charity and that would have been quite useful but I couldn't bring myself to use it!

TriciaF Thu 17-Apr-14 19:46:15

I agree but to me it's just a waste of the money I sent to be used for a better cause.
I must make the effort to tell them.

Grannyknot Thu 17-Apr-14 20:02:02

petallus grin

Galen Thu 17-Apr-14 20:07:14

I didn't get a tea bag?

Galen Thu 17-Apr-14 20:11:56

I'm not donating. I resent these gimmicks!

Grandmanorm Thu 17-Apr-14 20:16:49

I didn't get seeds either. I put mine straight in the bin. I too resent these gimmicks. I know it is wasteful but those biros make me cross.

Ana Thu 17-Apr-14 20:18:40

I like the biros! grin

ginny Thu 17-Apr-14 20:42:16

A few weeks ago I got a package from the red cross containing, 2 coasters, a pen, a bookmark and two note cards. 3 days later we received another identical package. Very useful. I do not feel guilty. We donate regularly to several charities and cannot give to them all.

Aka Thu 17-Apr-14 20:50:50

Why would anyone want a tea bag?

J52 Thu 17-Apr-14 20:53:56

I agree with you Ginny. We received a similar package yesterday. I did not ask for it so I do not feel any guilt. I buy most of my books from charity shops, then return them, once read, with others from commercial book shops. So I feel no compulsion to send any money. X

GillT57 Thu 17-Apr-14 22:27:57

There is a psychology in this approach; there was a very interesting discussion about it on Radio 4 a couple of weeks back. Basically, when we are given something, a gift, we feel that we should reciprocate and give a gift too. in this case a donation. I cant remember the term for it, but it is a recognised action, so if it is being done deliberately we shouldnt feel guilty about not donating. I have a couple of charities with personal relevance that I support, we cant do everything for everyone.

Greenfinch Thu 17-Apr-14 23:04:24

Some years ago at Christmas I received some of those painted by mouth/foot cards.
I didn't send any money so can't bring myself to use them. They remain sitting in a drawer. Thus nobody gains !

susieb755 Thu 17-Apr-14 23:29:46

I get really annoyed with BRC, they must spend a fortune on these gimmicks, and as everyone knows that these cards etc are free, you would never use them ! I even had 2 of their 'chuggers' cold calling at the door last night....

rockgran Fri 18-Apr-14 04:05:11

I do send to some charities but if free stuff comes along I just recycle it to a charity shop. I can't just throw those cards away so I make them into little notebooks and then they are sold at fundraisers. I wish they wouldn't sent free stuff but it must work or they wouldn't do it I guess.

NfkDumpling Fri 18-Apr-14 07:07:36

I'm so glad they've stopped sending coasters. I've got four and that's enough. I hope I get the seeds and not the tea bag set! Does this mean they've paid out for research to see what category each household fits into do you think?

I have several charities I donate to and support. Any that cold call or send 'goodies' through the post are removed from my list as I don't like to think of donations being used to lay guilt on people.

I know I should return the envelope unopened as Charleygirl does. Perhaps I'll just remove the pen and seeds (if I get them) and return the rest!

NfkDumpling Fri 18-Apr-14 07:10:35

I've mixed feelings about all the charity bags that get stuffed through the letterbox though. (However much stuff do they think I have to throw out?). They make excellent bin bags and are very useful when I do have stuff I want to take to the Sally Army.