Gransnet forums

AIBU

Inappropriate covers on magazines.

(42 Posts)
Flowerofthewest Tue 22-Apr-14 23:00:58

Does anyone else think that some more graphic titles on the front of Women magazines be moved to higher shelves.?

For example, Take a Break last week had an article entitled 'My Daddy Raped Me In My Mothers Bed' Now, my 5 year old DGS can read and is into reading out loud anything he seen at the moment. It could also lead to awkward questions being asked. There are often subject like this on some of the more 'downmarket' mags and newpapers. (Daily Star) Just wondered what others thought.

MargaretX Thu 24-Apr-14 22:04:52

I read The Lady, it is well written, proper grammatical sentences, nice recipies, good gardening articles, and a puzzles for those who like them. The Ladygram is my favourite- I'm addicted to it.
I know it annoys me sometimes but I have it sent out to Germany and share it with an English friend.
It's film, theatre and book reviews are very good and I have ordered sone very interesting books from their comments.
When I'm in the UK nowadays and in WHSmith I feel shocked at the amount of rubbish on the shelves.

Nonu Thu 24-Apr-14 22:37:29

At least there are no salacious headlines on Womans Weekly,.

All fairly bland and good natured from what I can see !!

Nonu Thu 24-Apr-14 22:37:51

At least there are no salacious headlines on Womans Weekly,.

All fairly bland and good natured from what I can see !!

Nonu Thu 24-Apr-14 22:40:54

I am a big fan of bland and good natured,especially good natured !!smile

Deedaa Thu 24-Apr-14 23:13:12

I was recently invited to be part of a focus group at Woman's Weekly. One interesting point that came out was that they work more like a monthly magazine than a weekly and plan issues weeks ahead of printing. This means they completely by pass most "celebrity" stuff because it would be out of date by the time they published it.
What came over very strongly in the meeting was that readers buy the magazine because it does NOT have pictures of Katie Price or headlines about child abuse on the cover!

Flowerofthewest Sat 26-Apr-14 12:04:40

How true, it is my mag of choice, Love WW

rosesarered Sat 26-Apr-14 14:58:54

When I used to buy a mag [not often] I bought Good Housekeeping[which sounds awful, but is actually very good.]My daughter came to stay a few years ago and picked this mag up from the coffee table, and said with a curled lip 'huh' and then flicked through and sat down to read it.She then admitted it was a good mag after all.However I haven't bought any at all, for a while as they are so expensive and I can buy a book on my Kindle for that price. I do think that the pictures may be ok on womens mags but the shrieking headlines are certainly not! As others say, children can easily read them.

Iam64 Sun 27-Apr-14 09:33:15

I always buy the November edition of Good Housekeeping, it's full of good twists of festive food. I suspect the name doesn't do it any favours, but the mag itself is my only women's mag of choice

Purpledaffodil Sun 27-Apr-14 11:54:08

I get a year 's subscription to Good Housekeeping with my Tesco vouchers every year. Treat it as a free Christmas present to myself. I suspect I must be in their target reading population as I usually find something of interest and then pass on to friends or take to leave in hospital waiting rooms.
I know the name is cringeworthy but it dates back many years!
I do agree about the ghastly stories used to sell other magazines. Years ago I used to collect a friend's children as well as my own from school. Our path took us under a railway bridge and we used to run under it, otherwise those new readers would be using their phonics to spell out the messages scrawled there. "FU...." "Let's see who can run the fastest children." smile

rosequartz Mon 28-Apr-14 17:07:22

I am just wondering if the positioning of magazines is similar to the positioning of products in supermarkets. Apparently, the more a producer pays to the supermarket, the nearer to eye level their product is placed. (And I never even knew manufacturers had to pay the supermarkets to 'display' their goods!).
If that is the case, then the newsagent would be reluctant to move these magazines with salacious headlines higher up out of eye level as the publishers would demand that they be placed in a more accessible place if they are paying a lot for positioning.

rosequartz Mon 28-Apr-14 17:08:15

Does that make sense? hmm

Lona Mon 28-Apr-14 17:28:21

Unfortunately, yes!

Purpledaffodil Mon 28-Apr-14 17:38:53

The Coop stopped selling 'lads' mags' after public demand. They asked publishers to put them in 'modesty bags' and they refused so they refused to stock them any more. Shame a similar boycott not made on the salacious tittle tattle magazines too. angry

Ana Mon 28-Apr-14 17:57:06

What a lovely term - 'modesty bags'! grin
Trouble is, they use the shock-horror storylines on their covers because those are what sells the mags, which is rather a sad endictment of our celebrity and scandal-obsessed society...

rosequartz Tue 29-Apr-14 16:13:15

I agree Ana

Silverfish Tue 29-Apr-14 20:57:32

I love magazines but they are all trashy now, as a kid I would read my grans 'womans own' and 'home chat' and would find the recipes and home hints very interesting, I felt quite grown up reading them but there was never anything sordid in them like nowadays.
Anyone remember 'home chat', 'pins and needles' or the old style 'womans own' and 'womans realm'. ?