Gransnet forums

AIBU

Buying a property in London (rant)

(28 Posts)
Grannyknot Fri 25-Apr-14 17:19:10

And I know I am not being unreasonable!!

The London property market at the moment is nuts. My daughter and her fiance saved their socks off and got enough together for a deposit - just when the market went absolutely mad, due I think in part to the Help to Buy scheme. She has been downright bullied by estate agents e.g. made an appointment this week to view a place in an "open house" situation next Saturday. Phone call earlier today "Can you come today?" "No, I work, and besides it would be nice if my fiance could come and see it with me". "What about Tuesday?" "No, I work and ..." "Well, we're getting offers at the asking price and we can't keep it for you".

Another estate agent told her not to waste her time with a "nonsense offer" unless they could go "up to £25,000 over the asking price"!!!

It's completely crazy and it is having a knock on effect further and further out of London.

A colleague at work bought a house, the seller pulled out of the sale citing "heart problems". The colleague lost money. Less than six months later, same house is back on the market for £50,000 more, leading my colleague to suspect that the seller had simply got greedy.

angry

Penstemmon Mon 28-Apr-14 20:51:37

My DD1 and her DH have decided to give up on moving at the moment. They had a buy for their place quickly and found a place they wanted. The week of exchange the vendors withdrew their house, probably to re-launch it at a higher price. DD1 found second house but was gazumped by a developer who had cash. No other suitable properties in their price range as stuff has gone up. Their estate agent said their house was now underpriced since it first went on the market abut 9 months ago.! It is all crazy!

Penstemmon Mon 28-Apr-14 20:52:17

Oh we are not in London either! But are commutable in 40 mins!