Gransnet forums

AIBU

Vodafone ..

(35 Posts)
Aka Fri 23-May-14 14:28:11

I have
1) been accosted on my own doorstep and verbally abused by crooks demanding I hand over an unsolicited mobile from Vodafone.
2) had an attempt to take money from my bank account by Vodafone
3) had a non-existent bank account accepted in my name by Vodafone

So you'd be forgiven for thinking they might feel they are in the wrong?

You'd be mistaken.

And now to add insult to injury they expect me to wait in from 8.00am-6.00pm so they can collect (after 3 weeks) the mobile. They have I HAVE to!

Am I being unreasonable to say This Is Not An Option?

Aka Sat 14-Jun-14 07:55:07

Sadly, this is not the case if fraud is involved Jen but thanks for the link, it was kind of you.

durhamjen Sat 14-Jun-14 01:23:42

Sorry, just realised that's the Northern Ireland advice, but the English is the same. You did not order it, it wasn't a mistake, so it was a gift.

durhamjen Sat 14-Jun-14 01:21:24

www.adviceguide.org.uk/nireland/consumer_ni/consumer_common_problems_with_products_e/consumer_problems_with_delivery_e/consumer_unsolicited_goods_e/youve_received_goods_or_services_you_didnt_ask_for_distance_sales.htm

I think you are allowed to keep unsolicited goods, Aka, and accept it as a gift.

Aka Fri 13-Jun-14 22:50:37

Ah but you're applying logic to the situation rosesare. I've given Vodafone various times they can be sure of finding me in just so they can contact me to arrange a collection but they say (quote from email)

" Dear Mrs xxxxx

We’ve tried to contact you today about your complaint, we appreciate you have asked previously to be called at certain times unfortunately this is not always possible."

?????????

I give them times to try to help, but they ring when I'm out? And say it's 'not always possible'. So what do they expect me to do?

rosesarered Fri 13-Jun-14 20:35:48

It's a disgrace isn't it? If you were working, you couldn't take a day off [and they may fail to collect it anyway.]Their fault, they should collect it in the evenings.This sort of thing is the curse of modern life.However, do not let the stress get to you.flowers wine

Ana Fri 13-Jun-14 17:45:08

That was Aka as well, sherish. This is her follow-up thread! smile

sherish Fri 13-Jun-14 17:42:37

In a previous post there was a scam going around and it was something to do with a mobile phone being delivered to someone then they rang and said it had been wrongly delivered and they would collect it. The Gran who posted said she had already sent it back and that they were very angry. I can't remember if it was to get a phone or her actual ID.

janerowena Fri 13-Jun-14 16:46:53

I just remembered a huge bonfire party I held many years ago, must have been Ex's 35th. I ordered £50 worth of different cheeses from a supplier amongst other things. When it was delivered I could have cried, I had whole Bries - the real ones are the size of large pizzas - whole edams, whole goudas, whole stiltons, dozens of camemberts and heaven knows what else too. With all the BBQ stuff and salads and whatnot we couldn't move. I shoved a few in the freezer, some in the fridge and put out the rest along the whole of my big sideboard/dresser

The next day I got a phone call, the cheeses had been the cheese course for a banquet of several hundred! They received my order... The costs were waived. The evidence had been either eaten or frozen.

Deny all knowledge. grin

Aka Thu 12-Jun-14 23:12:19

Jane I'm digging my heels in here. They sent it unsolicited, they should come and get the thing. Anyway I've just emailed their CEO and told him I'm going to bin it
grin
I like that idea about the tax office better though.

janerowena Thu 12-Jun-14 21:05:51

DBH says that your best bet is to go into an actual shop and talk to them, if it is getting to you.

janerowena Thu 12-Jun-14 21:03:00

Tell them that you are sending the tax office the phone in part payment.

Aka Thu 12-Jun-14 20:37:25

Would you believe this is still not resolved? Vodafone have put me through hell for the last 5 weeks and now........I find they do not pay their taxes.

tax dodging petition

Elegran Fri 23-May-14 23:49:47

Tell her that you will wait in all day only if you receive a day's pay, because that is what you will lose if you miss a day's work. If they are not prepared to give you a time, then you are not prepared to give up that much for their convenience. Their package will be on the doorstep, and if it is stolen, then it will be exactly the same as it would have been if you had handed it over to the would-be thief who called for it.

It may be that you don't actually go to work, so some of that is invention, but the principle is still true. If they want it back, they can time the collection to suit you.

Aka Fri 23-May-14 23:48:26

grin moon

Agus Fri 23-May-14 23:40:12

Don't let it get to you Aka. She's talking through a hole in her head. Her problem, absolutely not yours. Leave it on the doorstep and forget about it.

You could always tell her to go an bile her heid, dozy besom grin That would flummox her.

Aka Fri 23-May-14 23:33:21

Ah bless you Agus for getting angry on my behalf. I admit this is getting to me and I actually put the phone down on the person this morning when she said, I HAD to be there to give it to the courier even if I had to wait in all day.
After me telling her, twice, that wasn't reasonable and it wasn't an option.

Agus Fri 23-May-14 23:25:23

The thing is Aka what can they do? shoot you?

They made a balls up, ergo, their problem, ergo, they come up with a solution that does not cause you any further inconvenience. They can't do that? You tell them what their solution is.......they collect it from your doorstep. End of!

Can you tell I am getting angry grin

Aka Fri 23-May-14 23:05:56

I'd love to do that.

Agus Fri 23-May-14 21:07:43

I would tell them it's not convenient for me to wait in all day for them to arrive and the phone will be on my doorstep for them to collect. I would also say that the fact they cannot give me a definite time for collection is not my problem so I will do what is convenient for me.

Mishap Fri 23-May-14 20:32:07

Leave it on the doorstep and go out on the razzle! - these poor customer services are so tedious.

NfkDumpling Fri 23-May-14 19:49:06

I think they should let you keep it. After all it's second hand now - they can't sell it to anyone else! wink

Wheniwasyourage Fri 23-May-14 19:28:38

No, YANBU. Enjoy the wine and tell them where to put their phone to stop being so silly. You could offer to hand the phone in to one of their shops the next time ( March 2017?) you're near one.

Aka Fri 23-May-14 18:56:19

I've just emailed the story of the whole 'fiasco' to Watchdog. I don't expect they'll do anything but it's made me feel a bit better grin

Time now for wine

Ana Fri 23-May-14 18:17:42

I'm really shocked at their attitude! The bloody cheek of the remark 'it's not just you out of pocket...'

Do they think they're doing you a favour by 'allowing' you to return the phone? They should be begging you to keep it as a goodwill gesture to compensate you for their bungling! angry

Aka Fri 23-May-14 18:04:42

I wish I could tweet. You're right Brenda at times like this it helps.

But I do have to add, I emailed the CEO of Vodafone and the (useless) person I spoke to this morning who said 'you'll just have to stay in all day, we don't do time slots' (or words to that effect) was from the Director's Office.

Likewise the (just as useless) person I spoke to yesterday who said 'well it's not just you out of pocket ...'

They just don't get why I'm upset.